Hornady's .17 WSM

mealiejimmy

Ir's completely different and cannot be used in a 17HMR.
At the moment, only Savage, Winchester and Ruger make rifles chambered for it and they are extremely rare in the UK - mainly because the ammo is well nigh impossible to find.
The Savage BMag is the most common and it's generally regarded as a pretty dreadful rifle.
Both the Winchester low wall and the Ruger cost stupid money
In principle it's a very good calibre - a rimfire cartridge with a muzzle velocity of over 3000fps with a 17 grain pill, but the problem is that to get that performance, normal 22 and 17HMR rimfires cannot be chambered for the 17WSM because it generates a much higher pressure.
That means a new action has to be designed and manufactured for the 17WSM and all the European manufacturers have already stated that they will not support the calibre.

Cheers

Bruce

Mr. Gain

Also, all the reports I've seen to date suggest accuracy isn't good enough to exploit the extra energy at ranges beyond what the HMR can cover.

In any case, to my mind at least rimfires are about keeping costs down for high volume shooting (so in the UK just rabbits and perhaps corvids or hares but almost certainly not foxes) so as you step up a quarry size your ammo requirement falls and small centrefire cartridges such as the .17HH, .17RFB, .17Rem, .204 Ruger, etc. make more sense than a supersized rimfire.

25 Sharps

Ir's completely different and cannot be used in a 17HMR.
At the moment, only Savage, Winchester and Ruger make rifles chambered for it and they are extremely rare in the UK - mainly because the ammo is well nigh impossible to find.
The Savage BMag is the most common and it's generally regarded as a pretty dreadful rifle.
Both the Winchester low wall and the Ruger cost stupid money
In principle it's a very good calibre - a rimfire cartridge with a muzzle velocity of over 3000fps with a 17 grain pill, but the problem is that to get that performance, normal 22 and 17HMR rimfires cannot be chambered for the 17WSM because it generates a much higher pressure.
That means a new action has to be designed and manufactured for the 17WSM and all the European manufacturers have already stated that they will not support the calibre.

Cheers

Bruce

Not true anymore, people are now stocking the savages and the ammo, 2 different RFDs within 10 miles of me have both in stock. Quite tempted but not read a lot of good things about the calibre, ideally I'd like someone I know to buy one so I can try it!