Horse flies....

Horrible things - I was carrying a crate of ducks into a pond once and felt something on the side of my neck and sure enough a horsefly had stabbed me! Big welt about 20 mins later…there’s an almost ache at the bite site when they are still stabbed in!

I have also had them go through a thin glove and leave a welt…😩

What the heck type of horse flies do you guys have over there?! Infections? Immobilizing joints? 😱

It’s normal for me to get bit 5-10 times per day when the horse flies are out in full force, they sting but don’t draw blood, definitely don’t leave a mark. Maybe a different species?

These are the arseholes I steer clear from. We call them spruce beetles, also known as a**holes. They’ll fly right at you and take a chunk out of your skin. Makes me bleed every time.

428DD687-570C-474F-A65D-924199ACFE8B.jpeg

What the heck type of horse flies do you guys have over there?! Infections? Immobilizing joints? 😱

It’s normal for me to get bit 5-10 times per day when the horse flies are out in full force, they sting but don’t draw blood, definitely don’t leave a mark. Maybe a different species?

These are the arseholes I steer clear from. We call them spruce beetles, also known as a**holes. They’ll fly right at you and take a chunk out of your skin. Makes me bleed every time.

View attachment 262058
Our Horseflies are nasty buggers, don't sting but have scissor like mouths and slice open their victim and then lap up the blood....in some ways I am lucky because they always eat me and never my young children....I have tried maintaining a high blood alcohol level but that doesn't deter them.

Definitely a different species then. Ours have been known to swoop down and carry off babies and small children.

5 - 10 bites in a day would see you laid up for a week or two.

(For the avoidance of doubt, and to stymie those people who are about to accuse me of exaggeration, I'd just like to point out that the bit about babies and small children is a total fabrication. The bit about bites isn't).

Not seen one yet here in East Kent this year I even commented on this fact the other day to my daughter who detests them. Just hope I haven't spoken too soon!
Me and my big mouth - had one buzzing noisily round our bedroom earlier today. Luckily for me, he succumbed to a well aimed flick from a wet flannel - shame my aim isn't as good with a gun!

Now here's another little sod. Stable flies, slightly smaller than house fly with red eyes. They bite but don't leave marks, they've been giving us some stick in the garden and seem to come from the farm next door at this time. Not so painful as Cleggs but annoying.

We use a barefoot trimmer for our two horses, and she's just put a Facebook post up to say we can all feel free to slap horseflies off her while she's bent over working. I can foresee this being an invitation she's going to regret extending :lol::lol::lol::lol:

We use a barefoot trimmer for our two horses, and she's just put a Facebook post up to say we can all feel free to slap horseflies off her while she's bent over working. I can foresee this being an invitation she's going to regret extending :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Almost worth buying a horse..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got done on the flank few years ago now on an mod gig ! god the pain, itching and heat ! let alone the swelling from that nag bug its an unforgettable pain , then add in the pus and open hole :banghead: if you did as I did that being scratch it like a dog with fleas .

Back