Horse fly's

miffy

I was out this morning doing a bit of training.
But had to cut it short as the amount of horsefly s trying to eat me was unbearable.
Any body else noticed this or is it just a local hot spot ?
Sooner they die off the better, they sure are persistent.

hans-get-ze-flammenwerfer-57440924.png
991.png

Anywhere near water or in woodland in this weather. Not quite as painful as a tetse but the soft footed old maids can still whack you. Thank goodness I don't get after effects.

Whilst on holiday in snowdonia in the 90s my wife and i were walking by a reed lined lake to have a picnic when i felt an intence pain on my wedding ring finger...the biggest horse fly i have ever seen had bitten me on the web of my finger..i only had time to pull my wedding ring off as my entire hand began to swell and bloat to 3 times its size..we had to return to the car to get some cream on the wound and returned to our guest house to get my hand looked at...the pain was ok and the swelling came down in a couple of days but the real pain was i couldnt grip the gear stick to drive my beloved mk5 cortina 2.0 ltr and had to suffer my wife driving it....ive hated the bloody things ever since and kill them at every chance...H.

wear at least two layers of clothing(yes even in this hot weather.) ,they can bite through one layer.
if one lands on you, make sure you kill it, if you bat it off it will sneak round and get you from behind.

Worst year I've seen for horse flys, after a few bites you get fair skittish!
Seen a lot of the giant horse fly too (Tabanus sudeticus, the giant dark horse fly) apparently the largest fly in Europe...I can only imagine the size of its teeth....like being shot with an air rifle!

I seem to get plagued by them in their millions for a day, and then nothing for a few days, then another onslaught...I wondered if there was a particular trigger of atmosphere/weather/moon phase or if a batch just happened to hatch out on the same day every twelve months.

Alan

I was out this morning doing a bit of training.
But had to cut it short as the amount of horsefly s trying to eat me was unbearable.
Any body else noticed this or is it just a local hot spot ?
Sooner they die off the better, they sure are persistent.

The horse fly's or glegs as we call them have been about in large numbers this year. My wife has multiple bites to prove it.

Back