How can this be right

ChrisWorley

I've just been talking to a friend of mine. He works for a Agricultural Contractor, he said when I asked what He was doing, he said that he was turning Hay on a Race course ,that was going to baled, then going to a Power Station in Kent. Bearing in mind that the Race course is in North Yorkshire, just think of all the fuel and emissions produced to cut,turn,bale,load,and transport to get turned into electricity.I just don't get it . I always thought that Hay was for animal feed ?.

Strongman

Most environmental things seem like smoke and mirrors. Get a big grant for a good idea without looking at the detail.
We have a bio digester by us, which I hear is heavily subsidised. The tractors run almost constantly feeding it with rye grass, maize etc from miles away. I am sure this detail was overlooked at the planning stage of this. Essentially they are burning food and using heavy transport to help do it!

JTO

Its hard to imagine that a racecourse would have enough grass length to bale hay from.
Do you know how many race courses there are in Britain?
The rain in May has produced a lot of grass that is past its best in digestibility by the end of July.

mudman

Most environmental things seem like smoke and mirrors. Get a big grant for a good idea without looking at the detail.
We have a bio digester by us, which I hear is heavily subsidised. The tractors run almost constantly feeding it with rye grass, maize etc from miles away. I am sure this detail was overlooked at the planning stage of this. Essentially they are burning food and using heavy transport to help do it!
And clogging up the road with heavy agricultural machinery which no doubt are running on red diesel for an industrial activity.

mealiejimmy

I've just been talking to a friend of mine. He works for a Agricultural Contractor, he said when I asked what He was doing, he said that he was turning Hay on a Race course ,that was going to baled, then going to a Power Station in Kent. Bearing in mind that the Race course is in North Yorkshire, just think of all the fuel and emissions produced to cut,turn,bale,load,and transport to get turned into electricity.I just don't get it . I always thought that Hay was for animal feed ?.
There will be a subsidy in there somewhere that's allowing at least one business to make a pound or two.

Cheers

Bruce

jimo

The subsidy or guaranteed price for the energy produced is linked to environmental conditions being met, including fuel used in cultivation’s distance travelled for the feedstock and carbon footprint of inputs to the growing crops. I grow some for a neighbour and he uses as much organic manures as possible because of the co2 produced in the manufacturing of bagged fertiliser. It has to be subsidised to make it worth investing the vast amount of money to build the plants which we need to at least try on a commercial scale. Our energy has to come from somewhere and fossil fuels are running out even if you refute global warming.

Fadcode

The problem is once these power plants and incinerators are started they are not allowed to stop, so they will burn anything as long as it keeps them going, a lot of the trees taken down in Cornwall are transported up to the North East to be burnt, Its got nothing to do with fossil fuels running out, as we have enough coal underground to last us 300 years, but it is cheaper to burn wood, than come up with the science to make burning coal safer for the environment, eventually after everything is burnt, they will have to face the fact that it is only coal we have left, they intend to start turning the gas off in 2030, and they will have to burn a lot of stuff to allow people to charge their EV's at night, when solar power wont be working, unless they start building Nuclear Power stations quickly,. Once oil is no longer used as a fuel, it will have a knock on effect, plastics are made from oil, Bitumen, etc, so what will be replacing these things ...no one knows.

jimo

The problem is once these power plants and incinerators are started they are not allowed to stop, so they will burn anything as long as it keeps them going, a lot of the trees taken down in Cornwall are transported up to the North East to be burnt, Its got nothing to do with fossil fuels running out, as we have enough coal underground to last us 300 years, but it is cheaper to burn wood, than come up with the science to make burning coal safer for the environment, eventually after everything is burnt, they will have to face the fact that it is only coal we have left, they intend to start turning the gas off in 2030, and they will have to burn a lot of stuff to allow people to charge their EV's at night, when solar power wont be working, unless they start building Nuclear Power stations quickly,. Once oil is no longer used as a fuel, it will have a knock on effect, plastics are made from oil, Bitumen, etc, so what will be replacing these things ...no one knows.
This is exactly why we need renewables like digesters. They are not perfect but co2 released by burning the fuel produced has been taken out of the atmosphere by the plants grown to fuel them. Burning coal however releases extra carbon that has been locked up for millions of years. That too needs mining and transporting to where ever it is needed because it cannot be moved efficiently by pumping.

Fadcode

Any CO2 absorbed by a plant is released when the plant dies, and further released when they are burnt, they merely delay the release of the CO2 they actually absorb, plants are not Carbon Neutral, add the carbon produced to harvest it, transport it etc.
Everyone jumps on this Carbon Neutral bus, I even seen Bargain Hunt advertised as a Carbon Neutral production, the fact you have to use electricity to watch it, makes that a farce.

jimo

Any CO2 absorbed by a plant is released when the plant dies, and further released when they are burnt, they merely delay the release of the CO2 they actually absorb, plants are not Carbon Neutral, add the carbon produced to harvest it, transport it etc.
Everyone jumps on this Carbon Neutral bus, I even seen Bargain Hunt advertised as a Carbon Neutral production, the fact you have to use electricity to watch it, makes that a farce.
But the fact is that they absorb it from the atmosphere. It’s far from Carbon Neutral and I didn’t claim as much but it is trying to take a step in the right direction.
I imagine Bargain Hunt claim to be Carbon Neutral by buying carbon credits or offsetting. That has to be complete cobblers and that is true Greenwashing

Liveonce

Once was told that the scrap wood deposited in the council tip, is processed into clippings and sent to Germany to burn in their power stations. Anybody know if that is true?

Fadcode

If you can make money from it, it probably is true, after all we used to sell our plastic waste to China et al.(until they got wise)