How deep can this go !!

Finch

The whole system is utterly corrupt. Prime Ministers bestowing meaningless lifelong perks on their fovourite lackeys at tax payers expense. The House of Lords these days is rammed with placemen and reeks of nepotism and patronage to an extent that is vastly worse than the old system of hereditary peerages ever was. At least the hereditaries had a born-to sense of duty. Now it's all about entitlement and thumbing your nose at old enemies. It's rotten to the core.

Cameron's parting honours list was exactly the same: a back-hander to his pet arse-lickers and a finger up to the electorate at the same time. As was Brown's and Blair's. We are led by infants.

Fadcode

What really gets my goat, is the bare faced cheek of all this, I mean making Party Donors Peers, isn't that just ridiculous and dishonest, I always ask myself why would someone donate millions of pounds to a political party, unless they had been promised some sort of honour, apart from that the fact that Mrs May caused more damage than good in her premiership, she was basically booted out for being incompetent, and she should not have the right to give out honours, to the useless cronies she worked with.
I think the whole Honours system needs to be looked at, even though it's been discredited so many times that the Honours don't mean what they used to anymore.

Samhuntvic

I read most of the posts and topics on SD re politics. I've got to the stage now where I just shake my head in disbelief. Your general population is to be congratulated for not turning violent. By the way, our government trough here in Oz is not that far behind you.
Grant.

Rusty Gate

I read most of the posts and topics on SD re politics. I've got to the stage now where I just shake my head in disbelief. Your general population is to be congratulated for not turning violent. By the way, our government trough here in Oz is not that far behind you.
Grant.
I do remember an item on our new's, Australia not allowing a ship of immigrants ashore in shark infested waters or very similar. I think we were supposed to be very shocked or something, all I could think & people I know that saw it was "good on you guy's thats what our government still lack's loyalty & backbone". Over here they'd be in a house & on our benefits system in no time. Glad they never hit our shore or you wouldn't be able to retire until 85....if accompanied by both parents!

Alantoo

I think the whole Honours system needs to be looked at, even though it's been discredited so many times that the Honours don't mean what they used to anymore.
I think it was ever thus. Nothing new.

Doing research for a project for the Public Record Office (now National Archive) I was shown King Henry VIII's statute book...first half in Latin second in English...one of the statutes was a gift of 1d on every yard of ticking sold in London...I was told the recipient had likely arranged a woman or some other comfort for the king.

Alan

Rusty Gate

I think it was ever thus. Nothing new.

Doing research for a project for the Public Record Office (now National Archive) I was shown King Henry VIII's statute book...first half in Latin second in English...one of the statutes was a gift of 1d on every yard of ticking sold in London...I was told the recipient had likely arranged a woman or some other comfort for the king.

Alan
Can you translate the last half in to dumbass for me please Al :thumb:

Alantoo

Can you translate the last half in to dumbass for me please Al :thumb:
Doing research for a project for the Public Record Office (now National Archive)

= I won a commission to design and make the entrance gates and a bridge railing for the New Public Records Office at Kew. I researched for cues for the design by looking at some of the items in the Records Office collection.

I was shown King Henry VIII's statute book...first half in Latin second in English...

= King Henry split with the Pope and Roman Catholicism halfway through his reign and so the statutes and other official records were thereafter written in English instead of Latin....I put that bit in for added historical interest...well it interested me anyway.

one of the statutes was a gift of 1d on every yard of ticking sold in London...I was told the recipient had likely arranged a woman or some other comfort for the king.

= one of the King's mates was awarded the pension/honour of the tax revenue on all pillow case material sold in London at the rate of 1d per yard...may have been a penny per bolt of cloth...can't actually remember from 25 years ago. But it would have made him a rich man.

Alan

Last edited:

Rusty Gate

Doing research for a project for the Public Record Office (now National Archive)

= I won a commission to design and make the entrance gates and a bridge railing for the New Public Records Office at Kew. I researched for cues for the design by looking at some of the items in the Records Office collection.

I was shown King Henry VIII's statute book...first half in Latin second in English...

= King Henry split with the Pope and Roman Catholicism halfway through his reign and so the statutes and other official records were thereafter written in English instead of Latin....I put that bit in for added historical interest...well it interested me anyway.

one of the statutes was a gift of 1d on every yard of ticking sold in London...I was told the recipient had likely arranged a woman or some other comfort for the king.

= one of the King's mates was awarded the pension/honour of the tax revenue on all pillow case material sold in London at the rate of 1d per yard...may have been a penny per bolt of cloth...can't actually remember from 25 years ago. But it would have made him a rich man.

Alan
Nice one fella, thank you. Quite an interesting & revealing roll you had, not many get a crack at things like that eh.

Pedro

If you take the time to read right through the Queen's Honours Lists when they come out, there are undoubtedly some very worthy people amongst them that have worked tirelessly for the common good in many fields. Then there's those who are getting awards or a bump up the social ladder for simply being a lackey or a celebrity. So although I think the idea of rewarding those that do good in society is sound, it certainly needs some overhauling.

In the meantime, it is open to anyone to nominate someone. See below how to do that.

Out of interest, who would you nominate??