How do I get rid of a tick too small for tweezers?

Mat

It's also too small for a tick puller...

Any suggestions? I don't fancy waiting for it to fatten up!

Cheers,
Mat

basil

Distinguished Member
I cringe every time someone mentions tweezers and ticks in the same sentence. Get yourserlf some of these, works every time. There`s two sizes for big and little ticks.

I keep these at home, in the car and at work. Tick removal gear should be as important as your rifle.
basil.

re'M'ington

Don't EVER put anything on a tick as they will regurgitate what they have in their stomachs back into you(assuming it is on you)and,you may be in VERY big trouble.My brother-in-laws young grandson has just been diagnosed with Lymes disease,and,it seems to be getting more and more prevelent.Use the tick remover that Basil has put up,they work first time every time and never leave a head behind................'M'

The Mole

re'M'ington said:
Don't EVER put anything on a tick as they will regurgitate what they have in their stomachs back into you
Very good advice. Also watch out for those tweezers that grab the tick so that you can twist & pull them out - they will make them do the same. The tick removers in Basil's pics work a treat

lwcdart

ticks

Mat

Welcome to the New Forest Buddy!

We are having big probs with them again this year & as I said in some previous posts the little ones seem to be the worst as they can find a nice little moist patch & hang on until you notice them!

Those small tick removers come in a dog 1st aid kit that most vets seem to sell.

Ian B's girfriend found one on his rocks last week when she was down there doing some kind of good work I think!

Safe to say he is now in a seperate room now for a month or two!!!

See you early next week for a PM stalk buddy?

Regards Lee

Mat

Thanks for all the replies, Basil: I probably shouldn't have mentioned tweezers because I didn't try that option.

It wasn't too bad getting them out in the end, it turned out that I could squeeze the tick puller to tighten up the hold and the ticks came out intact.

I think my mistake was to take my fleece off (when it was warming up) then drag it through the bracken, then put on said fleece later in the day. Looking through the other threads on Lyme disease, I probably should have paid more attention, I didn't realise they were so bloomin small (they're always massive when we pull them off the dog). It probably didn't help that I've also been attacked by mosquitos, so I thought it was just another bite until I noticed the black dot.

Lee, I'll be a bit more careful next week!!!

Tom270

100% agreement with Basil, the otom tick pullers are great.
Got mine from the vets well under £5.I keep them in the car.
Tom

basil

Distinguished Member
Again, it`s time to call for a sticky on the subject of Ticks and Lymes disease.
basil.

Frax

You need a Tick Lasso...just Google it, you'll find a number of stockists. A wonderful bit of kit from Sweden. I've removed nymphs from dogs eyelids with mine!

pw7x57

Just been talking to a friend that has dogs and she uses a freeze spray. Wouldn't fancy that around sensitive areas. Anyone else heard of this method.
Paul

mj robson

I need to invest in some of these gadgets! I usually just pull them out with my fingernails, found 5 of the little f@ckers in the last couple of days!!

Mark.

basil

Distinguished Member
mj robson said:
I need to invest in some of these gadgets! I usually just pull them out with my fingernails, found 5 of the little f@ckers in the last couple of days!!

Mark.
Finger nails and Tweezers? YOU ARE INVITING TROUBLE.....BIG TIME.
Ignorance will be your own downfall.
basil.