how do you do it?

1shot1kill

can someone write down the different stages on how to do it?
which die does what,
why is there 3 dies in my lee kit when the book says i only need 2 for .243 rifle rounds.
just a basic bullet point list please, im finding following the book a bit tricky, and the stuff online is pretty advanced, many thanks Rick

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
1 Shot I take it you are reading from the Lee reloading manual 2nd edition, there is from page 30 onwards a sort of step by step set of instructions I take it these are what you are having trouble with?.

It really is quite logical and straightforward, if you are using once fired brass,

deprime, resize the brass, (full length or neck size, you have one of each I expect in your set of dies, that's how you seem to have too many)

check for length an trim if required,

Clean out the primer pocket,

Prime,

load with powder,

seat the bullet

fire when ready.

You can of course clean and titivate the brass as you wish.

I suspect that you are making things a little more difficult than you need. I expect you are getting in a tangle over setting up the dies etc. Go hereLee Site and follow the videos. Ask more specific questions, we can be as specific as you like but I would suggest you re read the book. Decide where your problem lies and ask again. Where abouts are you Rick, there maybe someone close by can help you out.

John

Muddy

call into the shop at ST BOSWELL they might be able to put you on to some one in the area who loads . They seem quite helpfull when i go in there . The shop in kelso that closed had a knowledgeable man i think he still lives local maybe you could trace him for advice atb muddy

Dennis H

Dont you need permits/training over there before you can start reloading?? in Denmark you need to finish a 1 day hands on practice and legal stuff, before you can get the reloading permit from the police. Just curios

Dennis

Trapper

A1
Cool link ! can I blink now :lol: just starting the road to reload! so I am slightly baffled as to all the bits n bobs required , I will get there and look forward to my cloverleafs with mt own loads , It may prove to be an interesting trip! 8)
Regards Trapper

Muir

The very first bit of reloading gear you should get is a good book on the subject. Even if you decide not to go through with the "ordeal" you will have gained quite a bit of knowledge. I recommend Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading, Volume 2" to everyone. I have about 40 reloading manuals but this is the one that I use every day. Read the first 50 pages and you wil have a very good hand on the mechanics and science involved.~Muir

cockerdog

Just follow your manual as others have recommended. Reloading is easy but the first time around is very worrying and even more so when you fire the first shot. Dont be scared, stick to the instructions and you should find your grouping improve as you develop the best load for your rifle,

Alycidon

The best and fastest way to learn is one to one training from someone that already reloads. Support that by buying and using a reloading manual. If the teacher is half decent they should be able to set your dies up as well.

I can appreciate that may be hard in Sutherland though but it would be worth travelling a ways.

If you go it alone then;

Never reload when tired.
Never reload with the possability of distractions.
Reload in batchs. (ie resize 20 or 30, then clean them all. then inspect them all, then prime them, then load them)
Never exceed maximum loads shown in manuals.
Always load powder at the recommended starting levels shown in the manuals.
When working up a load check cases for any excess pressure signs, case splits etc.
Keep written records.

A