How fiddly is the 17 Hornet?

Boosh

Of recent months I keep looking at the .223 stuck in the cabinet, only getting out to do 100 mtr shots around sensitive areas, and always playing second fiddle to the .243 for fox.
Toying the idea of replacing it with either a 22 or 17 Hornet, purely for the same job, of short range 100 mtr foxes for half the powder and less noise.
Now the question, how fiddly is it to reload a 17 Hornet for builder hands and the need for reading glasses in anything within arm's length?
Cheers for reading guys.👍

Overlay

I buy my 17 hornet ammo for the self same reason they are fiddly to re load for me, I tried re loading with a friend of mine and in the end I give up, in the process of getting a 204 to reload, but the 22 hornet is the perfect short range fox rifle it works incredibly well and low noise and compared to some really cheap to feed

I've grassed a few foxes with 17 hornet under a 100 yds BUT not H& L shots as I'm not sure about it, I would go for the 22 hornet it is a really good under a 100 yds foxing calibre, other people say further but it will do the job properly out to a hundred yds all day long

mealiejimmy

22 hornet is much easier to reload - just fill the case with Lilgun powder (that will in the region of 13 grains), stick in any bullet from 35-50 grains and you're good to go
With 17 hornet even 0.1-0.2 grains too much powder can get you into pressure problems.

Cheers

Bruce

Boosh

Really wish more rifle manufacturers made the 22 hornet now.
Heard in the past of how a keeper used to load his 22 Hornet, fill the case, tap it level, press the bullet into it.

Muir

I have owned 17 Hornet an 22 Hornet. I can't speak of the 17 because at the time, only 25 grain Hornady bullets were available to a poor boy and with them,a limited selection of suitable powders. The 22 Hornet however, I have been shooting and reloading for since 1980, at least. I have owned fine Adyt falling blocks and Savage break opens and alot of makes inbetween, factory or custom. Single shot and bolt. I was convinced that the Hornet was not really capable of truly fine accuracy until a friend introduced me his CZ 527 by yanking salt shaker sized ground squirrels out of their holes at 200 yards down along the Mexcican border. I bought one for my son when I moved back to Montana and accuracy was amazing. I soon dumped my Anschutz and ordered one for myself. It is my go-to rifle for prairiedogs and other vermin. It is also one of my most consistently accurate CF rifles -and that's not something I say lightly.

100M fox? 22Hornet, CZ 527 American if you can get it.~Muir

1622390476279.png
This is a quick three shots to check my zero for spring prairiedogging. 34 grain HP over a case full of Lil Gun, Small pistol primers. 100 yards

Last edited:

Ttocs

17 H is great for rabbits crows etc at 200 yards and more; but for mr fox, the 22H has to be a better choice. I load 40gr Vmax in mine over Lilgun; it’s running at 3030f/s. At this lower velocity the Vmax is not quite as frangible as it is from a 223 so I never get splashes just good solid clean kills. It’s quiet too, just a bit of a crack; I don’t think it’s even as loud as a moderated HMR..
Reloading is very easy too, just use a Lee reloading set including a crimp (the Vmax are boat tailed so slip into the 22H’s delicate necks well without using an expander die). Mine is a Anschutz 1730 and it’s very accurate and consistent - point and shout out to 175 yards (I’ve a Pard 008 LRF on it).
4 shot group below at 100 yards is on 1cm graph paper.

Attachments

• EBF29B21-4265-4992-A144-4DC88FAAD779.jpeg
    EBF29B21-4265-4992-A144-4DC88FAAD779.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 7

Boosh

Looking like a of love for the 22 Hornet here, admittedly not had any experience of either, but looking at the stats, the 22 got my attention, I was thinking I might beat the curve with a 17 Hornet due to the fact they have a shoulder on the case, though cannot see case stretching being a massive problem if I get 5 firings happen.

David N

I got a 17 hornet last September. Once I found a load that worked, no issues. Yes is more refined than when I am loading for my 223. It replaced my hmr. For the distance you are looking for either will do for taking out a fox. I really enjoyed my 17 hornet,

landkeeper

Looking like a of love for the 22 Hornet here, admittedly not had any experience of either, but looking at the stats, the 22 got my attention, I was thinking I might beat the curve with a 17 Hornet due to the fact they have a shoulder on the case, though cannot see case stretching being a massive problem if I get 5 firings happen.
It is one of gods favorite 3 22 hornt .222 and .275

cjs66

My HW66 has a 18” barrel and with my 40g Nosler Varma b/t home loads, I’m getting 2600fps and with the 35g Vmax a tad over 3000fps. Both very accurate and drop Charlie nee bother. The 40g Varma h/p are even more accurate but I was getting a few zingers, even after they’d exited.

cjs

mealiejimmy

I had the 22" barrel of my CZ527 22 hornet shortened to 16 1/2"
I lost about 200fps, so my 40gn VMax load is now doing 2800fps instead of 3000fps
That reduction is velocity reduces the maximum point blank range on a 2 inch target from 186 to 175 yards which, for me, is no big deal

Cheers

Bruce

pj1

I’ve tried loading 17 hornet for a friend. It’s not too fiddly but very sensitive to powder levels / charge.
I personally have a 22 hornet. With a 16 inch barrel and was recently doing a McQueens competition at bisley with it up against guys with creedmoors and 308s. They all laughed at me until they saw my score. Using 40 Sierra hornet Bullets it’s the mustard on foxes to 150 or more and certainly accurate enough

Boosh

Think this is the route I should go reading all this, 22 hornet, short barrel and all!
Cjs66, was it a only the extractor claw that was a problem on th Weihrauch?