How heavy are your Fallow Bucks?

Leupsak

I shoot in Northants, Beds and Bucks with land in all 3 areas.
I dont shoot Fallow bucks during the rut as they are stinky and easy so try to get most of my buck cull before October, most are the usual Pricket/Sorrel/Sore and range from 35kg to 60kg, no good heads but good bodies
Today I shot a buck out in a field of beans which when fully gralloched with head and legs removed went to the larder at 80KG or 176lbs.
Before anybody asks, from his teeth he was not in anyway old and there was no more than 4” palmation so not a stand buck but my god was he a porker and didn’t I regret the shot and subsequent drag?!!!!!!
The width across his withers and haunch was impressive and bone to meat ratio I imagine will be very good.
So what got me thinking and my question is, what size is an average summer, pre-rut Fallow Buck in your area?…..……….discuss

93851279-C99C-4BDF-B309-E106D23A1809.jpeg

Last edited:

VSS

I shot a pretty fat buck at the beginning of last season, and iirc he weighed 58kg without head and legs. Prickets are very variable. So far this year they've ranged from 32kg to 50kg. The wild ones that I've shot in the past couple of weeks have been fattening themselves on ripening barley, so they're heavier than my park deer.
I never weighed the first deer that I ever shot, but in my mind's eye he was undoubtedly the biggest!

deerstalker.308

82kg is my largest from memory, they get so fat at this time of year! Your meat to bone ratio may be somewhat less once you’ve cut through 3 inches of fat to get to the meat!

243varmint

I've just shot one tonight as it was limping badly. We first saw him 3wks ago but couldn't get a shot.
He's been feeding on wheat and hasn't moved far.
130lb on the hook larder weight. Head and feet off, well the 3 feet he had.

Not the biggest in body. Not much of a neck on him so not that old

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_202604.jpg
    IMG_20210818_202604.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20210818_202617.jpg
    IMG_20210818_202617.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 89

8x57

Distinguished Member
Over the last month or so I've seen more larger bucks than I usually do on the ground that I shoot. I'm thinking that this may be a result of only limited shooting being carried out over the last year due to covid restrictions effectively giving them a year's grace and additional growing time. Doe's anyone else think the same?

User00025

Largest I have shot and that was in Warwickshire 30+ years ago to dealer 208lbs. Several 160-180 lbs all off Ragley estate.

243varmint

Over the last month or so I've seen more larger bucks than I usually do on the ground that I shoot. I'm thinking that this may be a result of only limited shooting being carried out over the last year due to covid restrictions effectively giving them a year's grace and additional growing time. Doe's anyone else think the same?

You might have something there Mike.
No retail/hospitality industry wanting venison over the last 18months. Resulting in less 'nighttime activities' around us so the deer have had 18 months grace from the lampers and dog men.

SussexShooter

7C2EF658-9761-4DEE-9611-B18574A440B2.jpeg

This buck last year came in at 65kg head/legs off etc. That’s it next to two 35kg prickets. So far this season everything has been low 30’s kg…

Reactions: VSS

Leupsak

I believe @deerstalker.308 has hit the nail on the head, an abundance of quality food available to the deer.
I don’t believe it’s due to COVID as I and all the stalkers/deer managers around me all carried on taking deer during lockdown and cull figures were met or exceeded last season

8x57

Distinguished Member
I believe @deerstalker.308 has hit the nail on the head, an abundance of quality food available to the deer.
I don’t believe it’s due to COVID as I and all the stalkers/deer managers around me all carried on taking deer during lockdown and cull figures were met or exceeded last season
Could be a bit of both because there were different restrictions according to the government you came under. Only those fully employed as stalkers/managers were able to continue in my area and then for not all of the year. There are very few employed in that role around here, even the NRW and F.C. guys had to sit on their hands for quite some time during the first lock down. Also I can't say it's been a particularly good growing season around here either so once again regional environmental and farming differences may have come into it.

Then perhaps the fallow have wised up and realised that if they get bigger we leave them alone as the big ones are hard work to handle on your own. :lol:

Could be a bit of both because there were different restrictions according to the government you came under.

I'd say it's not related to Covid personally. If fewer deer were shot then higher numbers, more competition for food, lower body weights. And there were way more folk in the countryside last year (certainly around us - with the obvious exception of the short full lockdown periods), so maybe reduced shooting disturbance but I bet they were disturbed more by walkers and dogs in random places at random times so I think that side of things would balance itself out.

baguio

I would say that covid has had an effect around my way. The big fallow bucks are the first ones to get shot but certainly weren't chased around as much for the last 18 months so were lucky more often meaning more big ones left on the ground. Competition for food has not been an issue either as it's been the best growing season for deer food in a long time.

243varmint

It also depends on what blood line the fallow were originally when they were in 'thier' Park environment.
Example around us.
10 miles as the crow flies. Two very different body size and weight.
A good pricket from one area 60lb max. An average pricket in the other area 80-90lb.

Two completely different 'stock'.
Most of the local populations around us tend to stay in and around their original 'park' even thou most fell into disrepair at least during WW2.

Just a thought from what we have seen/learnt.