How heavy is your rifle?

BWH

I went stalking in Scotland recently and took two rifles. Just as well as I had issues with the one and ended up having to use a rather heavy rifle instead that wasn't my idea of the perfect rifle for the hill! That said the stalker wanted me to use it because it had a moderator on. The other doesnt have a mod.

The classic rifle ( a 7x57 with out mod) weighs around 9 lbs scoped, the other rifle ( a 6.5 Creedmoor) with large scope mod and bipod weighs 11.5lbs. By the end of the week I got pretty used to the extra weight and it is is an advantage on windy days. Interested to know if I am the only one carting a heavy rifle around the hill or if lots do it?

Mine is a bit of a beast. Over the past few decades I've gone from heavy barrelled monsters to ultra light whippy straw thickness barrels and back again. I've concluded that I'm a better shot when I have some weight to the gun. My current 18" barrelled .308 I've lugged over many miles in many countries and whilst I certainly know it's there, it provides stable rested shots and great off hand shots (which I always struggled with with ultra light guns) and has never let me down.

It weighs in at 5.5kg (12.1 lbs) but that includes scope, mounts, mod (which is a heavy Jet Z) and 5 rounds in the mag is a weight, which I'll admit, is not to everyone's taste.

As the years progress and my body starts to let me know of the fact, I may well reassess whether I want to lug that around but, at present, it's perfect.

FN

My favourite rifle is my Savage 10 FCP .308 Sporter, scope and mod brings it to about 12 lb, I call it my cannon.

It used to be a bit uncomfortable when trying to hold it waiting for the right shot to present but since I started using Trigger Sticks I can use it as a spotting scope now as well.

As Boris the Blade said in Snatch "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable".

My favourite rifle is my Savage 10 FCP .308 Sporter, scope and mod brings it to about 12 lb, I call it my cannon.

It used to be a bit uncomfortable when trying to hold it waiting for the right shot to present but since I started using Trigger Sticks I can use it as a spotting scope now as well.

As Boris the Blade said in Snatch "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable".
Agreed, and heavy is more forgiving of poor technique, which definitely describes me!

Id have to weigh mine but having just done the maths quickly i think my 3006 is around 9lb in weight without bipod, very light to carry round all day.

A friend in NZ has a very light weight tikka in 7mm rem mag and is taking very long shots regularly with it.

I can see why people like a heavier profile to reduce recoil etc but id rather carry a lighter load all day for a split second of more recoil

.. If there is one thing I dislike on my R8 it is that it‘s a heavy bastard. 3.6 kg naked with the standard sporter contour barrel. Including scope, mod and bipod I end up at 5.5kg easily.
I once handled a Christensen Arms carbon rifle. Sooo sweet 😍. But they supply it wit a muzzle break as a standard ....:rofl:.

Sorry, just cannot adapt to lbs. Imperial, British, American .... makes my head swirl 🤪.

Last edited:
It is not just about weight, it also depends on how the rifle is balanced. If you have a heavy moderator on the end of a barrel tending to cause the rifle to slip of your shoulder it can become quite tiring .
Also rifle weight is proportional to age.

I was practicing with the .22 and as I've never bothered with the weight of the rifle before I decided to weigh it and a couple of others. The .22 was 8.8lbs. My double rifle with a 1-8x24 exos scope that i thought was the heaviest was 9.5lbs and the Mauser M03 with the Meopta 1-4x22 on was 10.34 lbs.

my 6x5 t3 comes in around 7/8 lbs all in ,and surprisingly my synth stainless finnlite 7,08 is about the same,but my 308 sako 75 varmint is a good couple pounds heavier, and so far i can pick and choose weather /conditions/area applicable i shoot with each rifle.

My 22.250 is a Sako 591 with a varmint profile barrel in a McMillan A5 stock.This with bipod and mod and a red torch and mount came to approx 14 pounds.As all of my foxing is on foot this has become too much and is now a sit out and wait or target bashing rifle.Bought a Tikka T3x lite with a pard 008 as a dedicated night vision kit and with the Solaris torch mod and bipod comes in at about 9 pound all in.Such a relief!!!

Back