How is Scottish land cleared?!

BunnyDoom

My licence says "land deemed suitable by the chief of police for the area on which that land resides"...

Am I right in thinking no land is cleared in scotland in this method? - if so then theoretically I can't shoot in scotland?

Never heard of land being cleared up here. My first FAC was open, the FLO asked where I was shooting and said, "Oh aye, I know that place, it`s fine "

Not sure you can shoot elsewhere until you`re license is open, but not 100% on that,

Brought this up with my FEO last week as I have the same on my FAC. He wasn't aware that they don't routinely clear land in Scotland. So I phoned L&B who said that any request for land clearance had to come from my FLD and not from me.

My FAO would only give me a restricted license.
I had to send all permissions to him and he personally inspected all of the land that I intended to shoot on.
He would then report back on the maximum calibre that he would allow on that particular farm/area.
Have since renewed my license and it is now 'open' as I am now deemed to have enough experience to make that call myself.

I spoke to my FLO - he said my conditions say "land deemed suitable by the Cheif of police for that area" so as long as it's cleared by Scotts police then I'm ok... my concern is I don't think that's how it works in scotland?

I spoke to my FLO - he said my conditions say "land deemed suitable by the Cheif of police for that area" so as long as it's cleared by Scotts police then I'm ok... my concern is I don't think that's how it works in scotland?

You're right - much of the land north of the border will not have been inspected because many Scottish police forces issue 'open' FACs from the off - and from previous postings on here it right result in them being reluctant to actually inspect land for the benefit of 'foreign' FLOs!

Could be a good reason to ask for your FAC to be 'opened' to take account of this situation - use it to your advantage. ;)

BTW: SACS is the Scottish Association for Country Sports. Based in Jockland and with a Scottish/N.Ireland slant but IMHO one of the best out there no matter where you live in the UK - excellent insurance package, (with £100K legal cover for firearms related matters), willing to get involved on behalf of members, and all for £35 a year.

http://www.sacs.org.uk/

BTW:

You're right - much of the land north of the border will not have been inspected because many Scottish police forces issue 'open' FACs from the off - and from previous postings on here it right result in them being reluctant to actually inspect land for the benefit of 'foreign' FLOs!

Could be a good reason to ask for your FAC to be 'opened' to take account of this situation - use it to your advantage. ;)

BTW: SACS is the Scottish Association for Country Sports. Based in Jockland and with a Scottish/N.Ireland slant but IMHO one of the best out there no matter where you live in the UK - excellent insurance package, (with £100K legal cover for firearms related matters), willing to get involved on behalf of members, and all for £35 a year.

BTW:

Thanks Orion

A certain amount of confusion, if you could call it that, was produced by Cheshire flo's, when I asked for Deer conditioning a few years back,..................... they wanted all the addresses, of all the farms, & all the FC forest tracts, I was going to visit!.....................:doh::eek:, ............. needless to say that one didn't fly, ... at all!:coat:

It will depend on which Scottish force you are dealing with, Stirling do want the ground checked in a lot of cases, just like most English forces. I've had dealings with Cheshire too. Some of the Yorkshire forces seem fine.

I've come to an agreement with my local FEO about what I have to say when another police force contacts me about land which I will be taking a client on, when they have used me under section 13.10 of the guidelines as good reason to possess a deer legal calibre..................but I won't post that on here!!:lol:

I was given to understand that land in
+
Scotland was cleared by parceling it off to English landlords and then whacking up the rents massively so that the residents have to leave, in order to make way for more lucrative sheep...

:rofl: For the quick witted answer, but :mad: for the sad history that makes it so true.

BTW:

This exactly explains my situation. I had an FAC for years, issued the right side of the border. I then moved to London and the met inserted all kinds of restrictions on legal quarry and a "closed" land restriction. I was able to get this removed based on experience and the fact that I have permissions in Scotland where land is not routinely cleared. Good luck.

Back