How long before gralloch

Craig.ross

With the warm weather and the abundance of flies i am wondering if it would be best for me to simply take the deer home to the garage and i can perform the gralloch there in a clean fly free environment. I would bleed the animal first though before transport home. My issue is that the carry back to the car and the drive home might be in excess of 1 -2 hours, is that far too long to have the beast expired and gralloch still to be performed ?

Any advice welcome guys.

Thanks

Craig

Woodsmoke

I'd opt to put up with the flies so you could inspect the carcass properly. There'd be a risk if you got home, and then found the carcass wasn't fit for consumption?

Edit: And of course, there's always the thought that the gas would build up and make a bad stroke of the knife a fairly hectic experience? :eek:

Last edited:

Craig.ross

I'd opt to put up with the flies so you could inspect the carcass properly. There'd be a risk if you got home, and then found the carcass wasn't fit for consumption?

Edit: And of course, there's always the thought that the gas would build up and make a bad stroke of the knife a fairly hectic experience? :eek:

I never even thought of the gas build up ! Man that would not be pleasant at all.

Thanks for the reply, i think putting up with the flies may have to do.

Craig

Kjf

Id personally get the guts out as per the norm, then cover the carcass in a fly net/breathable sack/bag etc, and if required hang it in the shade

Get the aircon on cold in your car and get it home

It will be reet

KJF

1-2hrs too long to leave a carcass before gralloch in this weather - even in an air-con'd car. Get the guts out asap then get it home and into the chiller.

Monkey Spanker

I think best practice states 30 mins in warm weather. 1-2 hours would be a spoiled carcass in this heat for sure. Best to gralloch it ASAP and then put it in a fly proof net bag. Large pop bottles of frozen water in a covered tray with a blood soak grid would help. Even pop one inside.
Or just don’t shoot them until it cools down a bit!
MS

norma 308

I think best practice states 30 mins in warm weather. 1-2 hours would be a spoiled carcass in this heat for sure. Best to gralloch it ASAP and then put it in a fly proof net bag. Large pop bottles of frozen water in a covered tray with a blood soak grid would help. Even pop one inside.
Or just don’t shoot them until it cools down a bit!
MS
Yep I really find Stalking in this heat totally unenjoyable prefer to go out for Charlie on the stubble after dark or cast a line im a wuss bitten stung and sweating like a skunk don't appeal anymore it's bad enough working in it !
Doug

Erik Hamburger

Gralloch asap and than use a fly-net to hang the carcass in until you're going home.
On a very hot day, if I have to travel a bit (say 1/2 hour or more) I bring a cool box with half a dozen ice packs in the car, which I put inside the carcass after the gralloch. Simply give the ice-packs a good clean at home and put them back in the freezer for next time.

In this context maybe somebody can enlighten me please re. this gralloch issue in relation to 'follow-ups' with dogs of a runner, later in the day or the next morning. If a deer has been lying dead for many hours or even all night, and a tracker dog finally finds it, the gralloch must be quite unpleasant and the carcass unfit for human consumption. What do people do with a carcass that has been recovered many hours post morton? (Personally I would only consider taking the haunches off and the straps out, without gralloching...)

Paul 600

Gralloch asap and than use a fly-net to hang the carcass in until you're going home.
On a very hot day, if I have to travel a bit (say 1/2 hour or more) I bring a cool box with half a dozen ice packs in the car, which I put inside the carcass after the gralloch. Simply give the ice-packs a good clean at home and put them back in the freezer for next time.

In this context maybe somebody can enlighten me please re. this gralloch issue in relation to 'follow-ups' with dogs of a runner, later in the day or the next morning. If a deer has been lying dead for many hours or even all night, and a tracker dog finally finds it, the gralloch must be quite unpleasant and the carcass unfit for human consumption. What do people do with a carcass that has been recovered many hours post morton? (Personally I would only consider taking the haunches off and the straps out, without gralloching...)

The Main reason for doing a follow up is to end any suffering. The meat doesn’t come into the equation. Best practice states the carcass should not enter the food chain however there is nothing to stop you eating it yourself I would recommend a gutless method to remove all the meat! It obviously makes excellent dog food. At this time of year it may be a client trophy and he/she may only be interested in the dog chews on the head!!

THE AIM IS TO END SUFFERING! Anything else is a bonus!

Last edited:

reloader54

The Main reason for doing a follow up is to end any suffering. The meat doesn’t come into the equation. Best practice states the carcass should not enter the food chain however there is nothing to stop you eating it yourself I would recommend a gutless method to remove all the meat! It obviously makes excellent dog food.

THE AIM IS TO END SUFFERING! Anything else is a bonus!
^^"this^^ :thumb:

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
As been said you need to bleed and gralloch straight away. 2 hours that buck will blow up like a balloon and will be unfit to eat. Fly nets are easily carried with you.