How long do you hang

imnotrucknut

What's the preferred hang time for most peoples carcasses .is it species specific or do you you have a set time.it seems the trend is not to hang game or venison any more.the most I've hung fallow is about 2 weeks

You're thoughts please

Regards Gary

oxfordshirestalker

I butcher as soon as I can (Normally the next day). This is, however, mainly due to storage reasons - I don't have a big fridge/chiller. It's therefore weather dependent. In the summer, I have to crack on more quickly!
Ok, this isn't terribly useful as I don't hang due to circumstances rather than a desire not to hang for taste as such. But, I've never felt the need to hang the carcasses I've shot as they are always perfectly tender and tasty without. If that makes sense?

Fosbery Holster

That’s an outrageously top notch stalking suit, do you wear it in the evening’s and weekends ?
It certainly shows off your physical attributes.
At the risk of sidelining the original post by imnotrucknut may l apologise.

May l ask did you acquire your suit from ‘Bush Wear’ or another high end supplier of one size fits all clothing, could go down a storm on the “Glorious Twelfth”, was it eBay, l bet it was delivered in an anonymous brown paper parcel, please let us know because what is high fashion in Australia doesn’t usually flood the market here in the UK.

Last edited:

charlieboy-shooter

I have resisted the temptation to comment on the above.

Having somewhere to store and hang at a controlled temperature just gives you the flexibility to fit, where ever the carcass ends up, into every day life. Regardless if you think the meat needs hanging or not.
I have skinned Muntjac the same day but equally hung up to 10 days and have to agree that either way its still tasty and tender. But they have been shot without knowing I was there. Which can be completely different with Fallow, certainly if it's the 2nd one.

So regardless I usually hang 5 -10 days if for me but less if going off to dealers or butcher. Mainly use a larder style fridge which is set to operate up to max of about 4- 5 deg c but its range of temperature swing is probably 3-4 deg. I do this as I read some where that a good rule is 40 deg day. (Not that I'm suggestion that you hang a deer in sun on our hottest of hot days for a day ) but you get the idea. And it works for me..

I Have a commercial chiller which I can set the temperature and the differential small so can have a better temperature control which I'm sure I could hang one for much longer but being a tight a##e I haven't yet as that really does send the daily kWh up. I only use this chiller if I have more than 1 carcass to hang.

Utilmately whatever people decide it's has to fit into what equipment they have and there preference and idea's. For me it's the flexibility to fit in round my shifts.

Last edited:

Hunterjohnb

What's the preferred hang time for most peoples carcasses .is it species specific or do you you have a set time.it seems the trend is not to hang game or venison any more.the most I've hung fallow is about 2 weeks

You're thoughts please

Regards Gary
Calves no more than five days in the chiller, under 2 yo 5-10 day, older animals 10-20 days depending on taste. All are hung in the hide. A little more time consuming when skinning but, imo, well worth it.

BigPat

I usually try to follow the 40 Deg Days rule and I received one of those Tenderum meat hanging timers as a gift which seems to be set to do the same. I run my chiller at 3-4 degree so normally 10 days hanging in fur then skin and butcher.

johngryphon

It certainly shows off your physical attributes.
I am actually a skinny little runt so the suit is well padded.

A few questions if I may:
  1. Does it only come in shiny black or can you get it in a suitable camouflage?
  2. Is it "off the peg" or tailored?
  3. Doesn't it chafe in the warmer months?
There is a red model
off the peg in the padded version
No as i tip 1/2 a bottle of olive oil into it and coat inside it,there are less squeaks also.

l bet it was delivered in an anonymous brown paper parcel, please let us know because what is high fashion in
Apparently since I have posted the photo of myself in the suit the sales in the UK have gone tropical!
Two to North Yorkshire alone,in red and black ha ha!

Alantoo

Have a look at the Tenderum website and/or do a search on here, there have been numerous discussions...

I also have a Tendurum hang-on device and it has been quite useful...It is only used every other time because I keep leaving it with the carcass with my butcher friend and then forgetting to pick it up with the meat!

The "40 degree days" is a good rule of thumb but it should not be mentioned without the rider of never higher than 7˚ and preferably below 2˚.

From the Best Practice Guides 138 and 139...

"Bacteria can cause illness by being ingested with food then reproducing in the body (as few as 10 (E.coli) bacteria can cause illness in a
healthy adult) or by poisoning food as they grow on it. Bacteria need time (in 100 minutes 1000 bacteria can become 1 million), moisture, food, and warmth to multiply. Temperature controls must be maintained to minimise the hazard:
-18°C to -20°C bacteria dormant +1°C to +7°C bacteria grow slowly
+8oC to + 63°C ( optimum 37oC)DANGER ZONE bacteria can multiply rapidly
+ 63°C and above, bacterial numbers reduce
+100°C bacteria mostly destroyed."

Alan

Klenchblaize

I knew I should refrain from viewing this thread but seeing as I'm now here the answer is: It depended (note the past tence) on the chick!

I don't hang what venison I keep put rather skin, butcher and freeze faster than Chris Packham can reopen a raptor coldcase.

K

Reactions: Kjf