How long do you wait?

Beretta shooter

So I’m planning on, weather permitting to do a little more load development on Friday morning and it got me to thinking how long do people leave between shots and groups?

Say for instance that you plan to shoot 10 3 shot groups, how would you do it?

jb1

I normally wait about 5 minutes, walk to the target make a few notes then the next group and so on.
Allot don't shoot 3 shot groups,but if you can't tell if the loads any good with 3 then it's a poor show. What I will do is move onto 5 shots with the good loads.

Generally of you load to books recommendation you won't be far off.

But 1 thing to do consistently
Notes
Notes
Notes
Make a note of every thing, and keep the notes with the targets, or give your loads stars, i give 5 for good and note rubbish loads.

Milligan

Depends on temperature more than anything.
Generally use the mod to check. To hot to hold and I wait

As above, note targets and things like soot, primer status and any oddities.

big ears

Remember the more you shoot the dirtier the barrel gets.
Some recommend shooting a few groups at a time (depending on mag capacity). If your mag holds four rounds then Shoot one bullet at each target of four groups waiting 2 mins between each shot, then repeat three times. You then clean barrel and start again on the next bunch of targets.
It can be a bit of a PITA but will give you the most accurate results as by group 10 at least 30 rounds will have gone down and the barrel will be a lot more fouled than when you started.

BE

Tom D

You really need to find out what your rifle does as the barrel warms up, some will do very little, some will see the POI wander. If you already have some known good accurate ammo, fire 5 shots allowing the barrel to cool between each shot, then fire 5 more without cooling. Compare groups, now you should be able to see what's going on. If the 'warm' group shows the POI wandering then you will need to allow the barrel to cool between shots to get meaningful load data.

VSS

Someone once told me to wait at least 20 minutes between shots, so I did..... Took me all bloody day to zero my rifle and test some loads! I was new to rifle shooting then.
Now I just shoot each group pretty quick, walk up and have a look at the target, walk back, shoot another group, etc. So, a few minutes between each group, but very little time between shots. I seem to be doing OK like that, and in real life, away from the range, the deer end up dead, so it seems to work.

Beretta shooter

Thanks for everyone’s input, some interesting pointers and tips, particularly about shooting 4 or 5 diffrent groups at the same time, that hadn’t even crossed my mind to do it. Also about cleaning between groups.

My original plan was 1-2 min between shots and 5-10 min between groups but may try the 4 groups st a time method. Will be sure to keep plenty notes what ever why I do it tho.

Heym SR20

Take your time with a stalking rifle. No point knowing how it shoots from a hot barrel, when 95% of shots are taken from a cold barrel.

I let barrel cool to ambient temp - ie to the touch between shots. Take a couple of rifles to zero, thermos of tea and a 22 rimfire. Use the time between shots to practice offhand, seated, kneeling shooting etc with rimfire.

Cyres

Better idea would be to put first cold barrel shot on target then on next target shoot a pretty quick 5 shot and then repeat, you will then have a good idea what a hot barrel might do.

If your stalking then the first shot counts if your plinking or target shooting then hot barrel is important.

Even when foxing unlikely ever to take 3 quick shots in succession.

D

VSS

Even when foxing unlikely ever to take 3 quick shots in succession.

D
Ha! Well, I can proudly announce that a couple of months ago I shot 3 fallow (buck, doe and fawn) within the space of about 5 minutes. Good job I abandoned the idea of waiting 20 minutes between shots, hey?! :p