How long for this wee dog?

RED-DOT

Account Suspended
Been out searching for a young Daschund that went missing on Sunday afternoon near one of my farms i shoot on. No sign of the dog (Rolo) and her owner Zoe is totally distraught. Facebook has prompted total strangers to come and search in their dozens.
Its averaging +2 here with 3" of snow covering the area. How long could a short haired dog survive out in that??

Apache

If you tethered it to a peg in the middle of open ground the cold may get it. The dog will be laid up somewhere sheltered. I've known dogs be out weeks in awful weather.

weeman

I've got two miniature short hair dachshunds as some no.
They are tuff buggers. Lay your friends coat down last place she seen them that has a good success rate as most return.

Mine/they are tuff buggers walk for miles swim in low water channels and cold doesn't appear to bother them. Had dachshund for four years now.
Keep us posted. View attachment 52306

These are mine and me two weeks ago, -5 out for a walk.

Jagare

I've got two miniature short hair dachshunds as some no.
They are tuff buggers. Lay your friends coat down last place she seen them that has a good success rate as most return.

Mine/they are tuff buggers walk for miles swim in low water channels and cold doesn't appear to bother them. Had dachshund for four years now.
Keep us posted. View attachment 52306

These are mine and me two weeks ago, -5 out for a walk.
What weeman says. lay out coat or traveling box with dogs blanket in and there's a good chance the dog will return there.

Mossypaw

Try going back to the area at the same time it went missing. The woman that runs the local animal shelter says that lost or dumped dogs will return to the same spot at the same time each day hoping to find they're owner, any things worth a try.

finnbear270

We always checked the barns, vehicles & outbuildings first, once found a fox mewing quietly, trapped under a pallet, been there a few days, then look at the nearest roadway verges, being a dog I would also check just in case anything is in heat within a few miles. Hope it turns up OK.

Mossypaw

Also worth checking ditches and burns. My son lost his Jack Russell two weeks ago, small bitch with very short legs. She went into a burn with ice covered edges and couldn't get out, don't know if she froze or drowned. Took hours before he found her, very hard to spot in the water.

kimh

good luck RD, is there no one there with a tracking dog? my Carli (ridgeback x staffy) once found a lost dog laid up in a barn, I always look back on that thinking that was one of our greatest achievements, tell Zoe we are thinking of her...

Tom270

I would put a dog crate covered with a blanket etc with the dogs bed in it with food and water where it was last seen and if possible stick a trail cam inside or outside covering the entrance depending where you are leaving it. If still got snow sweep around crate to see if there are tracks. I once lost the family pet we looked for hours and hours it snowed over night and in the pre dawn as I opened the front door there were he tracks in the fresh snow up to the door and then leading away again, I followed these and found her holed up under some junk at a near by hotel. I once picked up a frozen Westie in deep snow warmed him up by the aga and took him to the vet. He was fine and reunited with his owner the next day so I would call all vets within a 20 mile radius. Good luck and credit to all went to look. Tom

Ray7756

If you want to check if its returning to a certain point i have 3 trail cams you can borrow, will give you the time its returning so you can get there at that time
ill even drop them of for you so you dont have to give up searching to collect them
good luck
Ray

NigelM

I keep flicking back to all the new posts on this thread hoping for good news.

Good luck Red Dot, hope the wee chap gets found.

Nigel

Ray7756

Hi Nige so its not just me doing that, hope they find him soon

RD if you think a quad woul be any good to cover more ground give me a shout ill bring mine over

Last edited:

NigelM

I would love to help but Essex is a bit too far and I'm off to China at 0700 tomorrow! Hoping to read some good news when I get back.

RED-DOT

Account Suspended
No good news yet guys but half the country is looking for Rolo.
Google "Rolo Bridge of Allan"....

Spix

Doggie's been out for nearly a week now, hope she gets found today.

Echo what kimh said ... if you want to find something, use a dog.