How Long is Too Long?

Hook'N'Bullet

Morning Gents,

Have a quick on for you - I stumbled upon some rabbit that I had forgotten about in the bottom of my freezer. Its been stored on the bone, tightly wrapped in clingfilm with most of the air removed and stored in a Ziplock bag.

I had a bit of motivation to whip something up this weekend like some goujons or casserole (weathers starting to call for it) but its been in the freezer since...oh god, probably March or April of this year (the dates written on it but I cant remember off hand).

Do you think it would be safe to eat or should I just chuck it?

Kind Regards,

H&H

Thanks for the responses, put my mind a ease. I usually have polished them off by now so never had to deal with it.

Had some 2 year old ,Blue Grey x Angus mince ,in a chile concarne tonight.

Stuff is OK for years and years. Might eventually taste a bit freezer burnt or be a bit dry, but the really old stuff can always be used for slow cooked stews and curries.
I wouldn't like to estimate the age of the oldest meat I've eaten out of the freezer (not very meticulous about labelling) but I guess 7 years or more.

Reminds me of when a friend and I were doing some deer fencing in Italy, serious terrain, very hot and we were doing 14 hour days. The clients were putting us up but the "mediterranean" diet i.e a bit of salad and maybe a bit of bread and cheese, was leaving us fading fast. Finally they realised that we were really struggling so they raided their deep freeze to see what was there. Right at the bottom the wife found a chunk of something that was obviously quite old and freezer burnt. When she asked husband what it was he looked a bit puzzled and said "Ibex I think." Anyway it did the job for a while and then we started raiding the hen house for eggs before they got up.

Back