How many Aussie hunters on sd????

oldmate

Hi guys just curious how many Aussie hunters are on the sd, what you mainly hunt,and where and how big is the property/ properties you hunt on?
Just sitting here on a Friday night sweltering in 35degree heat and 78% humidity,dreaming of going chasing pigs with my 6.5 swede in 16,000 acres on trail bikes out near lightening ridge.
and looking forward to rut and stalking fallow in tugglo state forest
worst of all my air conditioner has shat itself!:cry:

Wes

8x57

Distinguished Member
Too many of the winging bludgers if you ask me. :lol:

Complaining about the heat and humidity- you should come and endure some of our dour misserable weather and then you would have something to winge about. It's that time of the year when the cold and wet combine and get into your bones. I've had one cold after another for the last month. Boy do I wish I was sat there in my blue vest with trickles of sweat running down my back and having to wave the flies off.

And don't mention state forrests either, we either aren't allowed to shoot in ours or we have to pay heavily for the privelidge. :stir: :stir: :lol::lol::lol:

P.S. Nice to hear from the guys down under really Wes. I'm just envious of the heat as I can endure the heat better than the cold.

oldmate

:lol: Yeah the whinging is from our English heratage!
just out of pure Sh,t stirring you should look up nsw state Forrest :D
On a serious note, I do like the heat just not the humidity, and I love the cold....... Just not raining and cold like your more accustomed to! You can keep it!
And you must visit some time to enjoy the sunburn and relentless "swamp nuts"
wes.

8x57

Distinguished Member
I did mate for two years as a kid, I was a "new Australian" (£10 POM). I still consider myself part Aussie and always support Australia with the rugby regardless of who they are playing. Unfortunately my mother was homesick and forced the old man to bring us back to the U.K. but I shall return one day.

JockStalk

4 years as a sandgroper, then missed the drizzle too much and came back - does that count?
By the way, you might want to take a spoonful or two of cement powder - NSW doesnt get hot.
Coober Pedy? yep that does.

weeman

My brother has been in Melbourne for four years now and I've not seen him.
Hes begging me to come visit even live as he's self employed double glaze installer etc...

sharkey

My address is Sydney but I'd spend half my time in the bush. Is it still called "hunting" when its work? I have my own farm which is only 3500 acres & breed 9 types deer & antelope, & there is always a rifle at hand to control pests (the worst is lost pig dogs). I also do a wee bit of work with deer all over the place (mainly NSW but some in Vic & Southern QLD) from research to relocation. I could be on a 80 000 acre property one day & a few days latter darting a rusa on a 5 acre hobby block & then in a cities restricted water catchment fitting tracking collars.

I joined my first hunting club in 1977 & have long lost interest in "trophies" for my own collection, however I enjoy seeing others fulfil their goals. My favourite & IMO the best hunting in Aust, is also the easiest to access & that is chasing sambar on public land in Vic. Its about $50 a year to access 10 000 000 acres of public land with an estimated herd of 250 000 animals. The annual take is over 40 000 animals but unfortunately this kill is still well below what is needed to show that hunters can control these deer effectively. You should try it at least once.

I bet you got a wet ass the day after you posted this thread. I heard reports of 150mm out that way. I'm north of Mudgee & reckon I would have been lucky to pick up 20 mm, but it was cold. It must have been low 20's I had to put a jumper on & had the heater on in the cruiser on a 5 hr trip last night. Hope you make it back to the bitumen without too much trouble.

Sharkey

oldmate

Sorry for the bit of miss information, I was at newcastle (home) dreaming of being at lightening ridge! So I was nice and dry , good to hear there has been some rainfall 150mm will help a bit, last time I was out that way the farmers wheat crop had just failed from lack of rain.
My family own 200 acres near Coolah, I love the country side out that way. Just the very occasional fallow and the usual feral pigs, foxes and the odd dog. I have a rather large dislike for doggers, the ones I have encountered have left a bad taste. I have seen a fallow doe on our place about 20yrs ago, I stumbled on it when I was a kid! Our neighbour has seen a few feeding in the paddocks over the years, but not very common.
BTW sharkey, I'm very envious!
I will eventually get to Victoria stalking sambar, but until I get the time, I'll be around murrundi. Trying to get there for rut this year if not I'll be after ferals.

wes

sharkey

Its a small world. I've got a place at Caves Beach & unexpectantly spent New Years Day there due to some commitments in Newcastle, before heading back to Coolah to cut some timber to mill for this years projects on farm. Let me know next time you're out that way. Maybe catch up for a beer at the Black Stump.

Sharkey

oldmate

Your right sharkey, it is a very small world. I spent New Years day at Swansea swimming in the lake out the front of the caravan park.
I will let you know when I'm heading up, my brother in law was up on Friday/Saturday he said it was very green and they got some rain I think,

Wes.