How much abuse can a rifle take and be brought back to life.

Heym SR20

The beauty of steel and wood is that it is pretty much indestructible. I wonder how a modern Blaser, Heckler, Glich etc will be in 50 years time.

This is a 100 plus year old rifle - and I dare say it will still shoot. Perhaps not MOA, but good enough to put venison on the table.

That was really interesting! Wish he'd spent a bit more time showing us how the bore and metalwork had turned out though. And if we'd seen it shoot that would've been the icing on the cake. Enjoyed it though, thanks for posting!

That was really interesting! Wish he'd spent a bit more time showing us how the bore and metalwork had turned out though. And if we'd seen it shoot that would've been the icing on the cake. Enjoyed it though, thanks for posting!
Yes - I have only just found him on YouTube. He has some pretty good stuff. Best ones are the rejointing and relaying of ribs, as well as the rustbluing, and converting rust to blue.

I just need to find a nice old uncared for gun that looks like scrap, but which can be brought back to life.

Marks a character! theres a lot of his videos out there, showing renovation of old abused firearms, always a good way to waste an evening :p

I brought a CZ 22lr from auction in similar state. Had to use a hammer to separate the stock from the action, it had all rusted together that badly.
Got it shooting again, just for the challenge before scrapping it.
(OK, the bore was better than the one in this video.)

Back