How realistic is the DSC1 simulated stalk?

stratts

Hi chaps,
Just wondering how far you have to go getting geared up for the simulated stalk in the DSC1 test?

I'm camping for the week while I do the course so will have to take everything with me and won't have the chance to pop home if I forget something! Are you expected to dress as you would out stalking and carry a sack, etc?

Bearing in mind I'll be filmed and it's likely to be scorching next week, it would look a bit daft if I wore my bermuda's on fieldsports TV!! :doh: Although I'd still look better than Team Wild!! :stir:

Cheers

It's a walk around the edge of a field looking at four wooden targets. Nothing realistic about it, just dress for rough terrain and the day's weather. Don't need to take anything with you, maybe field glasses if the field is large.

It's a walk around the edge of a field looking at four wooden targets. Nothing realistic about it, just dress for rough terrain and the day's weather. Don't need to take anything with you, maybe field glasses if the field is large.

Best dig my budgie smugglers out then!! :drool:

Cheers

not sure were your doing it but i did mine at donnington and everything was set out as it should be with cut out deer targets in a wood and around the walk you need bins to spot everything and you will be asked questions on safety of the shot ect as well as loading and reloading of the rifle over certain spots ,i just put on everything i would on a proper stalk as it was raining and cold but if its like this the camo borat thong will give you extra points:eek::D.

Yes, it's a walk and talk.

You'll have to demonstrate safe handling of the rifle and carrying and safely passing it to someone and receiveing it and crossing an obstacle. For the obstacle one they will ask either if you are crossing the fence when stalking alone or with someone else. If the latter you need to firstly ask "Are you Dick Cheney...?" :lol:

Test is peasy but also peasy to fail as unsafe rifle handling or carrying could mean a quick fail. Tip was to always carry rifle slung with the barrel down, keep your hand on the forestock to stop it swinging up.

You're doing a course though aren't you so this is the tye of thing they'll go through.

MUCPUPS -
M
uzzle awareness - muzzle alsways down and in a safe direction (never in the air)
Unload - Unload weapon and show this to the receiver
C
heck - Wiggle ginger in the action to check for a cartridge
Pass - Pass it over keeping the muzzle safe
Unloaded - Receiver peeps in the action
Poke - Wiggle ginger in the action to check for a cartridge
Slings & Swivels - Final check that the sling and swivels are properly attached

Concentrate, you won't lose points for being slow. If the bolt is slippery then stick your finger in the action to stop it flying foward, that would be a no-no.

You bringing your own rifle?

Last edited:
not sure were your doing it but i did mine at donnington and everything was set out as it should be with cut out deer targets in a wood and around the walk you need bins to spot everything and you will be asked questions on safety of the shot ect as well as loading and reloading of the rifle over certain spots ,i just put on everything i would on a proper stalk as it was raining and cold but if its like this the camo borat thong will give you extra points:eek::D.

Glad you put this up, As accurate a stalk could be without actually letting a round away. Do not omit the bino's,.............. unless of course you are going somewhere that operates a half assed setup.

P.S. Mereside, did you have your pockets turned out for biscuits?:cool:

Just noticed you said you'll be filmed. They will likely make it a tad harder for you to ensure realism.

On mine one target was parallel to a rifle range:
"Is that shot safe?"
"Probably given that someone has built a rifle range..." :lol:

On mine one target was parallel to a rifle range:
"Is that shot safe?"
"Probably given that someone has built a rifle range..." :lol:

I hope he marked you down as wrong with that answer, just because a target runs parallel to a range in no way means that the shot will be safe. I also think that if your sim stalk was a stroll around the edge of a field you must have had it easy. When you are going on your sim stalk you should carry the kit you would have as per a real stalk.:tiphat:

Cheers guys as a favour to the fieldsports team I'll be using their browning X bolt and will be getting some range time in before the test. Also as I'm camping I'd have no way of securing my own rifle and ammo.

I'll make sure I take everything I would for an actual stalk then as it's the Forestry Commission HQ in Thetford and assume it'll be pretty professional,

Cheers

If you're taking an X-Bolt, get some time at a safe range where you can slam the bolt a couple of times (while on target). Have seen an AD with a new X-bolt. Prob. just a one-off.

I do hope so mate!! If I'm not happy with it I will use another estate rifle as my main concern is passing the test obviously!!

Its quite interesting this as what relevance is there to hiding targets and making them hard to see? On mine the only point of the walk was the safety aspect,

Stratts just listen to the pointers given on how to pass it some is common sense some isn't and personally I found it one of the more nerve wracking bits of the whole thing simply as some of its opinion. Some targets in the real world you would shoot but in a test scenario maybe not and you have to pick one that is absolutely safe. Then there is the gun handling which again some bits are quite different to normal stalking. You'll enjoy it once its over though

Hi Stratts

I did my DSC L1 last year with Dave Streton (Donington Deer Management) and to be honest the simulated stalk is more of a safety and awareness test. If you don't have your own binos borrow a pair because as already said you will need to use them. When you stop and are asked if you would take a shot just have a good look around the situation with the binos before you answer there may be things that you cannot see in undergrowth with the naked eye. Check for back stops etc.

It's all commonsense stuff but to be honest I was quite nervous about this part of it.

Best of luck mate

​Wayne

Oh and there is always one safe shot you have to "take". You won't get four no-nos. The tricky thing is that you shouldn't be able to see more than one target at a time.

Issues are usually:

Backstops
Roads and paths
Buildings and animals
Ricochets (including skip ricochets)
Bullet pass-through
Bullet fragmentation
Partially obscured shots
Dips/walls/hedges and hiding/hidden hazards
Dick Cheney behind you...

Last edited:
Hi Stratts

I did my DSC L1 last year with Dave Streton (Donington Deer Management) and to be honest the simulated stalk is more of a safety and awareness test. If you don't have your own binos borrow a pair because as already said you will need to use them. When you stop and are asked if you would take a shot just have a good look around the situation with the binos before you answer there may be things that you cannot see in undergrowth with the naked eye. Check for back stops etc.

It's all commonsense stuff but to be honest I was quite nervous about this part of it.

Best of luck mate

​Wayne

Did you have Dave's son Mark as your examiner on the sim stalk?, I spotted him on the telly this week, in a program about the archers & their equipment raised from the Mary Rose,.... He still holds the worlds record for the heaviest draw on a warbow, so you wouldn't want to get a clip round the ear off him!!:D

The only thing that I would add to this is that I way told to load and unload with the muzzle pointed at the softest looking bit of ground around me when loading/unloading.

Really it is all just good gun safety and being slightly more obvious about it, as you are being assessed.

The other thing if you don't do much/any range shooting, is to ensure that the rifle is pointed at the backstop when chambering a round, particularly when prone with a bipod people who are new to it can forget to lift the butt.

Good Luck

You're doing a course though aren't you so this is the tye of thing they'll go through.

MUCPUC -
M
uzzle awareness - muzzle alsways down and in a safe direction (never in the air)
Unload - Unload weapon and show this to the receiver
C
heck - Wiggle ginger in the action to check for a cartridge
Pass - Pass it over keeping the muzzle safe
Unloaded - Receiver peeps in the action
Check - Wiggle ginger in the action to check for a cartridge

Back