How to look after polypropylene butchers table

sauer

Hi folks

I have a 3ft x 2ft x 25mm polypropylene butchers table, would have loved big maple or wooden block but could t justify it, serious ££££££....

The polypropylene obviously over time has few marks & cuts & im aware that butchers rub down their wooden blocks ...... are they effectively sanding it even?

Can I do same with my polypropylene butchers table?

Paul

Woodsmoke

I rub my beech butchers block down in the traditional way with salt. It effectively scrubs and sterilises the wood at the same time, without leaving a taint from the likes of bleach, etc. I can't think of any reason whatsoever why it wouldn't be just as effective on polypropylene though :thumb:

Attachments

• Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 44

shakey jake

You can buy a proper block scrubber like a brush with flat metal teeth only works one way but rubs all the marks out, ive used mine on old plasic cbopping boards it works a treat just go steady
Shakey

potshotpat

Hi folks

I have a 3ft x 2ft x 25mm polypropylene butchers table, would have loved big maple or wooden block but could t justify it, serious ££££££....

The polypropylene obviously over time has few marks & cuts & im aware that butchers rub down their wooden blocks ...... are they effectively sanding it even?

Can I do same with my polypropylene butchers table?

Paul
Hi sauer, there is a difference between a block and a table, the wood used in blocks, such as Sycamore have anti-bacterial qualities and can be cleaned dry with what we called block scrapers (metal teeth) and you can chop on a block. The Polypropylene tables should only be used for cutting, no chopping and can be cleaned with an ordinary stiff scrubbing brush. Another tip is if your cleaning any blood use cold water first then clean again with hot water and something like Milton.:tiphat:

sauer

Cheers

I’m not chopping with cleavers just carcass break down & dicing etc ...

I do use Milton and thoroughly clean it’s just that I have t rotated it regularly and now quite rough on one section or bit ... would just like to get it “smoothed off”

Paul

Hornet 6

Sanding soft plastic probably won't work as it will leave a 'furry' finish.
But anything that cuts wood will cut plastic.

Neil.