Howa Hogue 30-06

Cal-ApeR

Hi everyone,

Looking at a cheap Howa Hogue in 30-06. Just wondering how accurate these are? I'm not interested in changing stocks, I just want a no frills back up rifle to my swede and this fits the budget nicely.

Rifle is 22" Sporter profile, blued.

Hoping someone has real life experience with this particular rifle and calibre.

ChrisPCarter

I just picked up a mint Howa 1500 Hogue in .223 for the bargain price of £200 including a £250 moderator, bipod, additional magazine and a Flambeau hard case.
Shoots spot on and it’s based on an old Sako design that they bought.
Certainly one of the best mid/budget rifles out there I doubt you’ll be disappointed.
I shoot a Sako 30-06 and .243 normally but this was too good to miss.

Muir

I don't know about the Hogue stocked models, but I bought a 1500 in 30-06 as a loaner for my son-in-law to use. Ended up giving it to him. Very accurate rifle. I kind of think I'd like a Ruger American in 30-06 as a light weight rifle. Might some day.~Muir

Cal-ApeR

Thanks very much fire your reply guys. I think I will pick one up. Just hoping this stock works out ok. Very mixed views.

ChrisPCarter

The stock issue only seems to be a problem for those who excessively load a bipod when shooting and distort the stock. If you're holding it or just resting the bipod or resting the rifle on something then it'll be fine.
That’s what I’ve heard too. There are plenty of cheap stocks available for it if it was a problem but I mainly shoot off sticks and I’m sure if you’re aware it could be a problem you can work around it.
I’ve not had mine long enough to say.

12gsnapcaps

Sporter barrel. I sold the hogue stock and put it in a GRD bifrost but only because i could afford to. the hogue stock is FINE for most situations bar long range or ultra prescision.

Skogsmannen

I've the 1500 in 6.5x55 with a hogue stock and any problems with accuracy have been down to the human attached to it so far.

Hi had my 6.5x55 Howa for 5 years now from new.
When purchase I selected a H-S precision stock at extra cost from Highland outdoors and worth every penny.
Only issue I had was with the rubbish plastic magazine kit that was fitted by the dealer. The front stock screw head was the same size as the hole in the H-S stock and pulled through the plastic making the front fixing slack hence 4-5" group.
This was replaced with the original drop plate which I was going to fit after running in and hey presto 0.5 - 1" groups all day if I did my bit with factory ammo. Things have tightened up with hand loads.
The stock has grub screws onto the action so it lines up true every time for good barrel clearance and an aluminium bed giving very little flex.
Shoot off sticks most of the time but no problems with Harris or Spartan fitted either when checking zero.
H-S do a titanium magazine kit but quite pricey. Saving pennies now but not essential

Cal-ApeR

Thanks Mark. Money is tight at the moment so I'm not sure I can stretch an extra $600 (same price as the rifle in Hogue). I would look at the b&c stock also if I could afford it. I'm hoping for acceptable accuracy with the Hogue.

Nothing wrong with the hogue stocks. They feel very nice in the hand in all weather.
I have one on my go-to small vermin gun and it's took some knocks. As mentioned previously just be careful with bipod work as a little flexible.👍