Howa? Or Tikka 22.250?????????

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...

Summers

Hi all,

I have got my variation back to get a 22.250, but not sure on what to go for, myself and my father currently share a Tikka T3 243 but are looking to buy a 22.250 but he likes the Tikka and I like the Howa, any recommendations in this calibre or advice would be greatfully appreciated as we cannot decide!!!

Thals in advance to all that can help and advise me!

​Dan

6pt-sika

To be honest I don't really like either that you mention .

But I have shot several Howa's in 243 and 308 and saddly they all shot really well .

The Tikka although alot of folks like them I never really cared for them . Seems to me for the money expended the Howa shoots better as they both shoot about the same in my hands and the Howa here is less expensive .

wayneinthepub

I have a Tikka M590 in 22/250 and would not swap it for a gold pig. It will shoot 1/2'' groups with factory Remington ammo and has a silky smooth action.

Muir

Who's Marge and anyway if you heat her up enough you shouldn't need butter :rofl:

Funny.
I like Tikkas and have a couple here at the house in .223. If there was a rub against them -at least here- it's the cost of extra magazines. Outrageous. I can buy a Tikka T-3 Lite in 308 for $525US but an extra magazine cost is $82 US?? Fifteen percent of the selling price of the complete rifle with rings for that bit of plastic?? W.T.H. is that about?? That is one vote towards the Howa if you ask me.~Muir

Pedro

If you need a full rig, the Howa deal including scope, bipod, moderator and magazine conversion (have a search on Guntrader) looks pretty unbeatable for the price. The scope isn't the best in the world, but serviceable enough until you decide to upgrade it if you want to. Many I speak to say the Howa is further down market than the Tikka and that may be so, but every Howa owner I've spoken to says they shoot excellently straight out of the box. Of course Tikkas have a bit more kudos in the marketplace and you may think they look better, if that matters. A Tikka will cost you more, so how often it'll be used and for what purpose play a part too. Enjoy shopping!

kennyc

I like both, but to pose another question, what twist do the barrels come in? and will either be more/less suitable for the weight of bullet you intend to use?

Summers

Thanks for your advice on this, it will mainly be used for varmint but have heard good story's about the Howa and the thumb hole stock as it is solid and the mechanism is has a great feel to it also.

from the write ups I am seeing also the Tikka seem to be very durable, the rifle is likely to be used 2-3 times a week so we will need it to perform time after time.

again, thanks for the advice so far.

RPA 6MM BR

I have had lots of expensive custom rifles over the years but recently I have been using a Howa Varmint Stainless Thumbhole in 243 and I have to be honest it really is a very pleasant rifle to use. Its extremely low recoil and the stock just feels right, oh and its very accurate too :thumb:

sir-slots-alot

I dont think out the box accuracy will be an issue with either gun.

But for my money the Tikka has a noticibly smoother action - better trigger and the drop out mag is very useful.

ATB
Alan

Henroy

Found myself in the same position around a month ago, splitting the price of a .243 with my father (who turned out to be very generous). Picked up a stainless synthetic Howa and so far very impressed. Zeroing was no problem and it was very versatile with ammunition, seemed to like whatever we put through it (all factory). Trigger pull is perfect for myself and Came with a hogue stock which I liked too. I must say I dislike the safety as it does feel a bit tacky and having said all of this would probably have a rem 700 in the cabinet if I could afford it.

dropmdead

As an other angle of looking at it is to see the saving of money if you bought the Howa and put it towards a higher end scope.
Another possibly to consider is to organise an action of choice and have it rebarreled in the length and twist of your needs.
I own a few Howa's now and I'm happy with how they perform, my experience with Tikka is less but they have all generally shot where pointed.
Regards
DMD

farmer7

Tikka! Both are normally very good out of the box accuracy wise though. Tikka has a 3 shot 1 MOA or better guarantee with standard barrels and 5 shot with varmint barrels.

Muir

Found myself in the same position around a month ago, splitting the price of a .243 with my father (who turned out to be very generous). Picked up a stainless synthetic Howa and so far very impressed. Zeroing was no problem and it was very versatile with ammunition, seemed to like whatever we put through it (all factory). Trigger pull is perfect for myself and Came with a hogue stock which I liked too. I must say I dislike the safety as it does feel a bit tacky and having said all of this would probably have a rem 700 in the cabinet if I could afford it.

The Howa is a better rifle.~Muir

ejg

They both have good and ok points.
Howa has the better designed action, trigger if properly tuned is a gem. The one I had in 22-250 was extremely accurate.
Tikka in 223 I have was ok out of the box but no matter how much work I put in she is not reliably accurate, possibly the least
accurate rifle I bought so far, however she can hold an inch mostly.
My take is the Tikka's are useful out of the box, without any work they have a good trigger and ok precision.
edi

Territory Hunting