HSE opens call for evidence on lead in ammunition

C h r i s

Not sure if this has been reported on SD yet?

Received this email yesterday.

HSE opens call for evidence on lead in ammunition
HSE is working with the Environment Agency to prepare a restriction dossier to assess the risks of lead in ammunition. HSE will propose restrictions if these are needed to manage any significant risks identified.
To help compile the dossier, HSE is opening a call for evidence and invites interested parties to respond with general information and information on specific topics. We would also like to know if you are willing to be contacted by HSE, or colleagues working with HSE on the dossier, to discuss information that you have submitted.
The finalised dossier, including any restriction proposal, will be published on HSE's website, expected to be in April 2022 and HSE will invite comments on the dossier in line with Article 69(6) of UK REACH.
The call for evidence for lead in ammunition can be found on HSE's website at UK REACH – restriction proposals 001 - Questions for the call for evidence for the lead shot ammunition - Health and Safety Executive - Citizen Space

Regards

Gareth.

Dr Gareth Crosby | REACH Policy, GHS & chemicals strategy | Chemicals Regulation Division
Redgrave Court, Merton Road, Bootle, Merseyside, L20 7HS

ukreach.restrictions@hse.gov.uk

caberslash

I'm sure the Lead Ammunition Group, headed by a former BASC Chief Executive no less, will be preparing a submission!

enfieldspares

If this is to come then BASC and those others who signed up to this voluntary ban need to take on board the exception that allows the continued sale of leaded petrol in the UK for classic and vintage cars. There is still as of 2020 lawfully sold in the UK 100 million litres of leaded 4 star. This permitted by licence from the UK Government.

Having taken that on board then the sale and use of lead shot shot continue to be allowed for use in shotguns of an agreed certain age. Whether that be corresponding with the years of the 1954 Proof Act say any gun that was made before 1954 as evidenced EITHER by any Proof Mark or by reference to a maker's records is perhaps useful?

kes

I have read Mr O'Gormans 'blog' comment - I wouldnt mind betting they would be happy with a ban on the sale of lead - maybe invite someone back ???

DM Firearms

It would seem that the timer has begin. I'm afraid that regardless of what is submitted, this is just going to be inevitable now this official review has began. Not to say that we shouldn't try however I think we've lost before it's began in this case.

The review will no doubt, as usual, be to show they are considering things that have already been decided.

Mick Miller

I'm afraid this is just more creeping legislation to further restrict firearm ownership and the ability to feed yourself, the leftists have infested every school, hospital, university, local council, civil service job and both parties (look at who controls our 'PM', puppet as he is). BASC will do little to counter this so don't put your faith there and its literally pointless contacting your MP, if they're not onboard already they're too terrified of the backlash of the pink & blue rinse, nasal pierced to speak up against it.

It was fun while it lasted at least.

srvet

What I would say is that if anyone out there has firm evidence to prove that lead does no harm then now is the time to present it. There is however a large amount of peer reviewed published evidence that lead does harm, even though the magnitude of harm is sometimes hard to quantify and some of the outcome measures are slightly wishy washy. Where are the lead industries in all of this? Why have Eley, Lyalvale, Gamebore, Federal, Remington, Norma etc not produced studies to show the safety of lead? They have had plenty of time to do so, but have chosen not to pursue this because they know that the facts speak for themselves that lead is toxic. We as a shooting community need to move on, find alternatives and keep shooting. No one is saying that we have to stop doing any of the sports we participate in currently, only that we collectively evolve so that we do less harm. This is not anti firearm, merely anti lead. If we consider the lead ban over wetlands, has this transition away from lead stopped wildfowling?? Clearly it has not so why will it stop pheasant shooting, pigeon shooting, clay shooting, foxing, deer stalking etc?

StephenToast

What I would say is that if anyone out there has firm evidence to prove that lead does no harm then now is the time to present it. There is however a large amount of peer reviewed published evidence that lead does harm, even though the magnitude of harm is sometimes hard to quantify and some of the outcome measures are slightly wishy washy. Where are the lead industries in all of this? Why have Eley, Lyalvale, Gamebore, Federal, Remington, Norma etc not produced studies to show the safety of lead? They have had plenty of time to do so, but have chosen not to pursue this because they know that the facts speak for themselves that lead is toxic. We as a shooting community need to move on, find alternatives and keep shooting. No one is saying that we have to stop doing any of the sports we participate in currently, only that we collectively evolve so that we do less harm. This is not anti firearm, merely anti lead. If we consider the lead ban over wetlands, has this transition away from lead stopped wildfowling?? Clearly it has not so why will it stop pheasant shooting, pigeon shooting, clay shooting, foxing, deer stalking etc?
Possibly one of the most sensible posts on this subject I have read on this forum.

andychas

If this is to come then BASC and those others who signed up to this voluntary ban need to take on board the exception that allows the continued sale of leaded petrol in the UK for classic and vintage cars. There is still as of 2020 lawfully sold in the UK 100 million litres of leaded 4 star. This permitted by licence from the UK Government.

Having taken that on board then the sale and use of lead shot shot continue to be allowed for use in shotguns of an agreed certain age. Whether that be corresponding with the years of the 1954 Proof Act say any gun that was made before 1954 as evidenced EITHER by any Proof Mark or by reference to a maker's records is perhaps useful?

Interesting, I didn’t know that it was still possible to buy other than in drums (and presumably that has stopped too now?), by coincidence this popped up this morning.

countrryboy

A BASC overview on the call for evidence is here:

Surely it is a bit late for a call for evidence when basc very publically made their intentions clear, some would say JS was doing hat secrectively long before.
Lets face it when the organisation meant to be supporting us has shafted lead are the HSE really going to do any different??

As an aside i see basc now calling 'non toxic' ( which is generally still toxic) is now being called 'sustainable ammo' , yes that will get the antis onside.
Sill never managed to find the shotgun shell tree or not sure which part of the single use plastic is entirely sustainable.
But atleast they have done the hard part and came up with a nice PC name for them, surely that will peacify the anti's alone

C h r i s

I'll be responding, and fighting to retain the use of lead bullets for outdoor target ranges (with some sort of annual recovery process), one thing to be aware of is that we are currently prohibited from using monolithic bullets at both Bisley and MOD ranges, so the potential impact on target shooting coiuld be devastating. We also need to stand up and try to fight for .22 rimfire and other small calibre vermin calibres where there is no non lead alternative available of equal or very similar performance.

kes

"We need to stand up and try to fight for"..........

Many of us have done this and will continue to. How about those who are 'sustained' by shooting taking on and fighting for shooting and the wildlife which will inevitably suffer when lead is banned or maybe that is the next incursion. BASC only did a volte face when Swift ran headlong into the arms of the people who have consistently lied and who are no experts desperately trying to maintain income and their own lifestyles.
I shall be submitting what evidence I have but better still if the HSE and BASC and CA and all the others look at Norway's experience and take a position which supports the selective use of lead, certainl;y for vermin and where no ammunition will be available to the food chain and where no practical alternatives are available.
I am astounded at the pathetic legitimacy given to the anti ;lead lobby by BASC et al, they all have no foresight or strategy to predict where threats come from and have betrayed all those who put their full trust in them and paid their wages to lead us to this precipice. Remember those who provide the ammunition we shoot were never consulted on the 5 year ban beforehand.
A new body is needed.

Norfolk Deer Search

With the greatest respect, i have nothing but admiration for all those wanting to keep lead ammunition, i fully understand the implications on all the shooting community, but really your wasting valuable time and effort fighting this.

we as the shooting community are minuscule minority that no one gives a monkeys hairy scroat about!

If you are a stalker and have not already found an alternative, find one sooner rather than later!