Humane animal dispatch Cert. only valid for 5 years ?

Gentlemen,

I have just been checking on my certificates, an have come across something that I was not aware of.
My humane dispatch certificate is only valid for 5 years.
I was not aware of this at the time of taking it. Has anyone attended a refresher course, or do you have a certificate issued by an organisation that does not have a 'best by' date attached?

Interested if you have .................................

I haven't been asked to do a refresher course...we do have an annual meeting of the scheme which has various CPD elements discussed. I can't find my certificate to check what it says at the moment.

I have just been asked to submit another non-police personnel level 1 security vetting form so that evidently expires every few years.

Alan

Last edited:
Hope this is of help. Though I doubt the Mr Angry’s of this forum would see it that way.
Bryn

PS. There’s no deer in the photo but I’m sort of making a leap of faith that we are all sort of at that level.

Another good source of information is the Humane Slaughter Association web site.

Humane Slaughter Association, Improving Standards in Animal Welfare at Slaughter, in Markets and during Transport

They publish a series of .pdfs of Humane Killing of Livestock Using Firearms which illustrates various animals including deer.

Alan

I have a Lantra certificate, you also get a credit card sized qualification card, that has a 5 year expiry on it.

I didn't get one of those...I shall immediately demand a refund...

Is that a fairly recent innovation? Or is it the difference between training providers do you know?

Alan

Unfortunately it was 5.5 years ago!!. Its the same type of card as the CSCS cards for working on building sites

Bummer! My HAD certificate is from April 2014 as well, so maybe we were on the same BDS course at Ciren! But probably not because I don't remember receiving a card.

I found one of those CSCS cards (which expired in July 2017 :( ) when I was looking through my wad of cards in my wallet following your post! But no HAD one.

Alan

I can't speak for other training providers or Police scheme administrators but the BDS/LANTRA HAD Qualification does not have an expiration or renewal date. A certificate is issued rather than a card but candidates can apply independently to LANTRA to obtain a card or have the qualification added to an existing card. This card may have an expiry date but the qualification doesn't.

Now you are simply showing yourself up.
If you want a **** taking contest then fine, go and find someone weak minded enough to join in.
I'm out.
Good bye. You won't be missed! Evening Primrose oil is supposed to be a natural remedy for PMT BTW! :tiphat:

I was called out on one occasion at 03.00hrs in the pouring rain to an incident and on arrival at the scene met a young lady, probably in her late teens or early twenties, sat on a wet road cuddling a young Roe with no regard to her long white evening dress !!!
The Police were in attendance so managed to get the girl away from the animal and took her away to inspect her car.
As it was on the side of the road with a high bank I managed to despatch the animal and drag it through the hedge and after splitting the stomach to attract Raptors or Foxes, left it on the headland of a set aside field.
I then spoke to the young lady, her dress was in a right mess, slime and blood, and advised her to check herself when she gets home for ticks and explained to her about lymes disease and also told her about the life cycle of Roe Deer.
I explained that Roe have a very delicate nervous system and in most cases of Vehicle damage to them, there is more internal unseen damage and the most common injury, that I have come across, was a broken spine so recovery is very, very slim so humane Despatch is the most kind thing for them.
The Police officer at the scene asked about Venison recovery !
I told him to fill his boots but expect it to taste bitter as when the animal is wounded adrenalin is pumped all through the blood stream to try and get itself up and away, he then declined !!!
Yes, there is certainly more to it than just turning up and shooting a wounded animal.
Thank you EMcC. Just one of many examples that you could talk about I'm sure. That's exactly the sort of experience that could be told at HD courses. We all know what the end result needs to be but getting there often requires a considerable amount of understanding, compassion and thinking outside the box. Go in waving a 12 gauge around and you could easily have a riot on your hands!

I must admit I found the course very interesting and informative, not just the pulling the trigger as we could all do that but the whole legal implications of doing it also hearing the experience that others had. One person after he had dispatched the deer was approached by the young lady who had the accident, he thought she was coming over to say thank you but instead punched him in the face for doing it!! He ended up with a black eye

I must admit I found the course very interesting and informative, not just the pulling the trigger as we could all do that but the whole legal implications of doing it also hearing the experience that others had. One person after he had dispatched the deer was approached by the young lady who had the accident, he thought she was coming over to say thank you but instead punched him in the face for doing it!! He ended up with a black eye
Perhaps we need a new post titled "Experiences whilst conducting Humane dispatches"? I'll bet that there are some interesting ones out there from our forum members.

Perhaps we need a new post titled "Experiences whilst conducting Humane dispatches"? I'll bet that there are some interesting ones out there from our forum members.

Just want you want to see when you arrive! The Muntjac buck was on the verge in between the pick up and the white car...

IMG_4344.jpeg

Alan

Good Evening

May I ask who you did the course with and who issued the certificate?

Are you doing humane dispatch?

if so which constabulary please?
Hi Tony,

I took it with a training outfit from near Stockbridge. The actual point that I was trying to get across was that, as there are so many different providers issuing what is - in theory - the same certificate of competence, why do some have an expiry date and others do not?

I was asked to take the course by my employer at the time. It ticked a box to say that you had received adequate training to do the job you had done for them for years...............

Honestly, this is painful. Do you think that human dispatches will always be laying on a field that you have permission on with a couple of broken legs and with a perfect backstop?
Consider a family cuddling said deer wrapped in a coat by the side of a busy road all crying just for starters? What about it being in a Bambi lover's house and quite lively? However, you clearly know it all Rake Aboot and will never learn another thing more in the deer world so I don't know why I'm wasting my time TBH.

Hopefully any course would cover if a scenario is too much grief for an unpaid volunteer to walk away and let the police and anyone else getting paid to deal with it, but then I don't need a course to teach me how to lead a quiet life and avoid unnecessary grief.

Calm down dear.
Hmm, ok you seem to want a reaction so here's one
You're a prick.
Only it's blatantly obvious from your last two posts that it's you who wants a reaction. You need to calm yourself down or you'll give yourself a heart attack! And to think that they let you have an FAC too! Most of us adults left name calling behind in the play ground!
Now go get a grip of yourself and don't come back to an adults forum until you have!

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

I took it with a training outfit from near Stockbridge. The actual point that I was trying to get across was that, as there are so many different providers issuing what is - in theory - the same certificate of competence, why do some have an expiry date and others do not?

I was asked to take the course by my employer at the time. It ticked a box to say that you had received adequate training to do the job you had done for them for years...............

Hi Turkish,
Thanks for your reply and I can't answer your question about the different providers, I am guessing it is a Lantra one?

There has been some interesting and valid comments made in this thread about HAD and how different people deal with roadside Dispatch,
I like many others have been doing this work for 40 plus years in one form or another, in the early days we where just called out by our local bobby and locals people that knew I could help.
I still do this work for Hampshire and Wiltshire constabularies who have scheme in place, so when the control room calls now we are given a incident number and we are covered by Constabulary insurance as police support volunteers.
As for training Hampshire now make sure all there volunteer HAD's do a course which is police run and volunteers are tested at the end of the course with a scenario based test sheet which the volunteer must pass!
Personally I think the police element is what has been missing from all the other courses, We all know how to dispatch deer and which tool is appropriate on each given event, its the rolling risk assessment and dealing with traffic should you get to a scene before the police.

Tony

Back