HUMANE DESPATCH

deerly departed

I am looking to go down HD route (not new territory for me) but advised a restricted capacity pistol is best. This will be pro not amatuer.

I have used rifles to date but as this could now include equines and livestock etc.

HD training on police force - whats the ins and outs

Experience any ideas what police will be seeking?

Any experience re these issues would be great.

Thanks

I have a .357 Magnum insert for 20G shotgun here in Bavaria it only cost me new $25 in the USA would the UK polis allow that as an option? .38 special will work in it also.

Much depends on what and where you stalk in my opinion.
I have used my dispatch pistol a few times over the years whilst in Scotland during the Red and Sika rut. A wounded sika or Red in thick commercial forestry is no joke, especially if its late evening. Its happened to me twice in my stalking career, where a Sika stag has turned on me and the dog in thick commercial forestry. In such cases as this you need something that is going to do the job. Any Red Stag in a similar situation would also get your full attention.

If your managing areas where its smaller species then a 410 pistol would be ideal. Although a lively big Fallow buck would be interesting. Road side RTA deer would be easily sorted with a 410 pistol. A shotgun is a bit messy in my opinion, and lugging it around would be a pain. You need something that is easy to carry when out.

If you have the areas and deer management is your full time employment I would suggest a good 357 revolver. Using 38 special. I have used this revolver over the past 30 odd years, and it does the job effectively, when its required.

Are you looking to do this professionally as a slaughter man or just on emergency call out to fallen stock?

If you are dispatching animals in buildings or built up areas with surrounding hard surfaces a free bullet from pistol or rifle is not the best tool. A shotgun with bird shot at 2"-8" from the forehead aligned with the brain stem is safest for the operator and any bystanders...if the animal is approachable a captive bolt and pithing rod could be used.

I have been called out to dispatch 50 odd RTC deer victims over the last few years and a .410 Mossberg Hushpower has been the perfect tool for the job in each case.

Whichever tools you choose, the Humane Slaughter Association has an informative website and publishes free on line guides to methods and equipment.

Alan

Screenshot 2022-06-01 at 08.47.37.png

Last edited:
I am looking to go down HD route (not new territory for me) but advised a restricted capacity pistol is best. This will be pro not amatuer.

I have used rifles to date but as this could now include equines and livestock etc.

HD training on police force - whats the ins and outs

Experience any ideas what police will be seeking?

Any experience re these issues would be great.

Thanks
Most police force HAD call out schemes are volunteer based, although some use retained dispatchers.

When you say 'will be pro not amateur', there would have to be considerable local demand for an equine/livestock dispatch and/or carcass disposal service in order to draw an income from it. You'd need to factor overheads fuel, incineration, waste disposal etc. etc. Most large farms and training yards will have established procedures in already place. So, need to ask yourself how is the service provided currently and can you provide a better service for less?

Most police force HAD call out schemes are volunteer based, although some use retained dispatchers.

When you say 'will be pro not amateur', there would have to be considerable local demand for an equine/livestock dispatch and/or carcass disposal service in order to draw an income from it. You'd need to factor overheads fuel, incineration, waste disposal etc. etc. Most large farms and training yards will have established procedures in already place. So, need to ask yourself how is the service provided currently and can you provide a better service for less?

Thats a fair observation

87g .410 slug produces 640ftlbs at the muzzle

158g Federal .357 mag produces 539ftlbs, whilst a 180g produces 783ftlbs but I personally prefer having the flexibility of choosing shot or solid slug especially when operating inside a building or in a reasonably confined area.
The shot pistol is also very handy dealing with vermin around buildings.

Sold my revolver and got a single shot Rossi break action rifle in 38/357 had the barrel cut down to shortest length possible to leave it as a std firearm screw cut and silencer can shoot subsonic or std ammo in 38 or 357 also shot shells if light work no sec 5 restriction and if you are not safe to get to close you have a good gun for the job

Sold my revolver and got a single shot Rossi break action rifle in 38/357 had the barrel cut down to shortest length possible to leave it as a std firearm screw cut and silencer can shoot subsonic or std ammo in 38 or 357 also shot shells if light work no sec 5 restriction and if you are not safe to get to close you have a good gun for the job
That sounds interesting.

Alan

You can also choose your bullets better for the job, solids,hollow point, or soft lead wadcutters
I know a couple of people who have put horses and cattle down at close range with a pistol and it didn’t work out to well a horse the other side of a stable door fell forward dead the door and horse landed on him he was ok but won’t be putting a pistol that close again
I also have 12 gauge rifled slug on my FAC but the shotgun on my shotgun certificate had to do a young bull gone daft in a small pen was trying to kill anyone or thing it saw slug works well

Do you have a picture of that please, only asking as it sounds a really interesting idea

Back