Hummel

limulus

What's a hind starting to grow antler called?
i ask as I had her in the cross hairs on Saturday but didn't shoot. A very large hind with obvious 'spots' where it looked liked antlers should be. No follower or calf in tow. Just old perhaps?

arron

Like above I thought it referred to a male Deer with no tackle so to speak , as regards females I would regard every one the law of seasons , why shoot one out of season unless absolutely necessary, I have seen roe does with pedicles with young at foot so why risk being wrong ?not having a dig because you let her go , just don't want less experienced stalkers to think it's right to shoot them

limulus

Absolutely,if in doubt....don't pull that trigger....it'll always be there another time of not for me then someone else and that's fine. I was more asking in the hope of an explanation as to why this would occur. The marks on its head were similar to those bloody marks left when antlers cast only on a hind...

Orion

Like above I thought it referred to a male Deer with no tackle so to speak

Might be antlerless but fertile and capable of breeding.

The first red deer I ever shot was a mahoosively bodied hummel (also called a Nott Stag in this neck of the woods) which was running with a considerable harem of hinds just pior to the rut, and had a complete set of wedding tackle. AFAIK they can generally have considerable success in the rut as a) they don't attract the attentions of other stags looking for a fight; b) not having to expend energy fighting they can spend it sh*gging; and c) as female deer are the ones doing the selecting a) & b) plus large body size may appeal to them.

Experiments have been carried out on naturally occuring hummel stags, where the tip of the antlerless pedicle has been surgically excised and normal anter growth has then commenced. The incomplete development of the antler pedicles during the first year is considered to be the reason for the absence of antlers in the majority of hummels rather than lack of testosterone or genetic reasons.

Last edited:

morena

Photos of a hummel head, animal shot by a member of the SD who kindly sent it to me after being alerted by Willie-Gunn

note the pedicle development

note the whorl at the position where the antler should have developed.If you study spiker antlers where they leave the top of the pedicle you can make out the remains of the whorl

The so called Braemar stag ( hummel ) that was operated on grew an antler on that side was fertile and was back mated to his daughters and offspring were all normal. In my opinion not a genetic condition but a malnourished calf whose development missed the period when first antlers would normally grow.Subsequently make up for poor start but don't grow antlers

Have shot a few hummels with guests , they tend to be larger body size than similar aged stags. We stalked into a group of stags last season which included a hummel, I was keen to take him but the inexperienced guest thought i had lost it when i said to him to take the one without antlers ! By the time i had convinced him which one to shoot , the hummel had drifted out of range. Its probably the type of stag most real stalkers want to shoot in my opinion .

NickJ

My policy personally would be:

Hummels - shoot on site in stag season. The most undesirable beast to have on the hill.

Antlered females - leave until the hind/doe season as they may have dependent young and unless a fly-blown 'Perruque' style head they can live without any other side effects. Are you sure they weren't just 'whirls' of hair? This is quite common in females.

limulus

Wish I'd taken a picture. Obvious dark spots that, from 60 yards or so, almost looked like bloody stumps. Certainly distinctly different colour to the rest of the head.
ill just have to go back and get a closer look :)