Hunting in africa

BRACES of Bristol - Mauser M12 with Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x56 Illuminated Scope

BWH

I used the expression 'more hunting for your money' in the sense of experiences/memories not a body count. Your original post asked if you were missing something, but all your subsequent posts have been you espousing your dogma. Its not clear if you want an answer or just a pulpit? Good luck with your unfenced deer culling.

african jack

it is very sad that someone bases his experience on a television programme made by Louis Therouxs (he thinks it must be true its in colour)

Trufflehunting

We are all allowed a diffrence of opinion in the UK that is one of the great things about it
Some of the guys replying are happy in what they do, thats great.
There has been a good sharing of views on this thread
African jack the photo of you is great.
Theroux has a diffrence of opinion to you, does that make him a bad person,
What did you think when you read the lion hunting information on the link i posted, the part where the PH are walking round with tame lions for the hunter to be shown the tracks later in the day, i thought it was ingenious, it makes an interesting read written by a hunter in africa, even tiring the hunter out draging him round where there was nothing for a few days, then showing him the tracks (very clever people those fence owners)
Out of intrest jack what have you hunted inside fences in africa
Lets agree to disagree

Cheers

MJ75

BWH

You have not read my post carefully enough. I said If i used the same amount of money and spent it on wild deer in the uk it would give me more meaningfull memories

http://www.shakariconnection.com/spotting-differences-between-canned-and-wild-lions.html
This guy on the link above states a case, that most hunters would not realise the lion was to some extent, tame !! and the hunt was false.

Louis Therouxs African Hunting Holiday, this was a program in the uk it can be watched on line, makes some very good points

No one in the UK is hunting deer inside walled deer parks (hunting in the sence of with hounds of hunting as in stalking)
Deer are being culled (with rifles) as part of the food process, which was always the original intention

My thread was about deer and not game birds

As i have previously stated fenced game in africa is not for me, but each to his own

Regards
TH

TH, I'm familiar with the programme, it's quite old now. It wasn't bad, I'm actually a big Theroux fan and was quite pleased that the BBC offered a more or less balanced view overall, though predictably they did choose a few 'interesting' yanks to interview.

The guy who runs Shakariconnection is actually a very nice guy, he's a retired PH now living in Portugal and has done for some time. Funnily enough I've discussed lion hunting with him, albeit, very, very briefly on another forum where I was threatened with physical violence by an american PH operating free range lion hunts in Tanzania as he disliked my challenging questions.

I can see that the subject is obviously of interest to you, you're still very, very green and wet behind the ears though when it comes to both deer stalking and hunting in Africa. Deer stalking takes place behind fences here in the UK, the "food process" is not the primary reason for this in all instances. You are aware of what happens to all the game killed in Africa I take it? You are also aware that african cull beasts are managed in the same way as cull deer here right?

And if there were no hunting behind fences in Africa, what would you think would happen to population numbers?

You seem to dislike the idea of people mentioning game birds. It's simply to demonstrate the blatant hypocrisy in your threads and highlight a severe lack of understanding on your part. I note you shoot (I can't bring myself to use the word hunt) naive, baby foxes whilst using a lamp :-

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/14786-Post-Harvest-amp-Educating-of-Fox-Cubs

This is about as unsporting as shooting gets in my opinion, lets be honest it's not much of a challenge. Add the game bird factor and you'll see why people are still not taking you seriously as your views are too unbalanced, too ill thought out and frankly, just downright naive.

As for your quote :-

"You have not read my post carefully enough. I said If i used the same amount of money and spent it on wild deer in the uk it would give me more meaningfull memories"

This makes me wonder how much stalking you've actually done? You might have more meaningful memories, you might blank on your trip and get ****ed on with heavt rain all the time you're out, particularly possible if you're on the reds in Scotland! But that's the beauty of hunting, you never know what's going to happen and what you're going to see. But from experience I'd say Africa is far, far more unpredicatable. It is a genuine shame you'll never understand though.

african jack

It was in Tanzania when I was resident there but if you think you can fence warthog anywhere you are very naïve

footnote Lets agree to disagree

Last edited:

remington65

Up at stupid o'clock to take 2 very good friends to the airport for the start of a month long hunt in South Africa. It shouldn't take that long though as all the animals they want are captive behind a fence or tied to trees awaiting them.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I have been fortunate to have hunted both open free range areas and huge semi fenced areas in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana.

Free range unfenced areas are becoming few and far between in Africa, although these concessions are still out there, they are expensive to manage and run. However many people cannot afford these hunts and prefer to undertake their hunts in SA where the price is cheaper. Having said that there are some superb areas to hunt in SA that are fenced, but to the point where it is just the same as concession hunting as the areas are vast.

At this point in time I am on my 8000 acre lease in the highlands of Scotland. Scotland was mentioned in a post on this thread. I would add that many estates are fencing in their deer in the highlands, either to protect their stock from wandering onto FC ground, or to protect tree plantations. Either way this stops the Red Deer migrating to different areas which they have normally done over the years. So in some respects Scotland is no different to Africa in its issues with wildlife management.

Africa has changed since I started hunting it in 1990, and that's relatively recent compared to many. What I do not agree with and positively hate, is canned hunting where Lions, or similar beasts are bred for the sole purpose of shooting them on a small fenced area. There is no skill, or hunting involved and in my opinion anyone who thinks he or she has a hard earned trophy at days end is only fooling themselves.

MJ75

I have been fortunate to have hunted both open free range areas and huge semi fenced areas in South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana.

Free range unfenced areas are becoming few and far between in Africa, although these concessions are still out there, they are expensive to manage and run. However many people cannot afford these hunts and prefer to undertake their hunts in SA where the price is cheaper. Having said that there are some superb areas to hunt in SA that are fenced, but to the point where it is just the same as concession hunting as the areas are vast.

At this point in time I am on my 8000 acre lease in the highlands of Scotland. Scotland was mentioned in a post on this thread. I would add that many estates are fencing in their deer in the highlands, either to protect their stock from wandering onto FC ground, or to protect tree plantations. Either way this stops the Red Deer migrating to different areas which they have normally done over the years. So in some respects Scotland is no different to Africa in its issues with wildlife management.

Africa has changed since I started hunting it in 1990, and that's relatively recent compared to many. What I do not agree with and positively hate, is canned hunting where Lions, or similar beasts are bred for the sole purpose of shooting them on a small fenced area. There is no skill, or hunting involved and in my opinion anyone who thinks he or she has a hard earned trophy at days end is only fooling themselves.

After making enquiries elsewhere on the net, I did find that it's very, very hard to locate these free range concessions too. Unsurprisingly requests for info were scarce to say the least.

I think one point that has been missed too is that much of our reds native habit is long since gone. The forests full of native hardwoods have been replaced by forestry block. The reds I see on Rannoch Moor, looking small in size and a bit raggedy don't really belong there, but have been forced to live there due to man. :(

Canned cat hunting or shooting a bear over a feed station as done in North America isn't for me. For one, I'd feel no sense of achievement.

Night Vision Store