Hunting in Mexico

Bavarianbrit

As the title shows I have taken a project in Puebla Mexico for six months so has anyone got experience of hunting in Mexico?
I was thinking to take a compound bow due to the heavy firearm import restrictions that they have for normal people but not the cartels of course.
Martin

A Guy Out West

Never been that far into Indian country, however the weather looks perfect. Go with a guide, way too many things that could go badly for a white boy down there (even if he's an old white boy). If you survived Jazoo, you know the drill. Likely much nicer down there than in Jaurez. They have a unique species of turkey and quail, among other things. I'll bet the dove hunting is tops. Don't forget the fishing. Keep us posted.

Just dawned one me, I don't know if your a white boy. What I should have said was "any non Mexican".

Last edited:

nun_hunter

I had my honeymoon out there and the only thing I could readily find from searching online was dove shooting. I bet once you're there you'll make some contacts for good hunting though.

Cootmeurer

Several friends go there on a regular basis for wildfowl and doves. Another buddy is an outfitter with connections in the Yucatan for ocellated turkey, brocket deer, and such. One other has also been down for a javelina and whitetail hunt.

All say essentially the same thing. Hunt able ground is controlled by outfitters, and all of them have guns for hire. That way your chances of running afoul of the federales is greatly reduced. If you do run afoul, the outfitter has a better chance of bribing you free than you do.

mollydog

i stayed at a resort about a hours drive south of Cancun and there were quite a few white tail deer about .i have no idea if there hunted though

Bavarianbrit

I had a peccary hunt while I was in NM in 1993 but saw none was a great long weekend nevertheless.
Yep, the contract from the agency came thru this morning and it is now definitely all on.
Looking forward to missing Oct-Nov-Dec in Europe as it is always cold and wet.

Bavarianbrit

Yup it is a 4 months deal running till 15 December, I leave from Frankfurt on 16th August, hard to get back into the work saddle after 5 months off though.
Pecarry pigs will be my target beast, the PSE bow is all packed and ready to go.

Bavarianbrit

Having problems changing Sterling in Puebla, the banks are saying after Brexit the pound is no longer sound. Thanks call me Dave. I will do the same to you one day.
Martin

Cootmeurer

Having problems changing Sterling in Puebla, the banks are saying after Brexit the pound is no longer sound. Thanks call me Dave. I will do the same to you one day.
Martin
Sorry, but that is funny! The Mexican Peso is worth very little and falling, with projections of it falling further after the US election. I would think any Mexican bank in their right mind would gladly take something ad solid as the GBP.

Bavarianbrit

No idea yet, there is a hunting deal near Chiapa where Audi is building their new Q5 plant, that"s my project, the locals are really lazy buggers seems to be the way of life here.
I bought a VW beetle last week the real older one, for £1100 including years insurance for all of Mexico, got a new house fully furnished near my factory for £500 a month including all bills. Internet dongle runs £30 a month. will keep yoos all updated, the roads are a madhouse as the manhole covers are getting blown of by the flash floods and the locals just lay an old lorry tyre over the hole, till the kids nick it for a laugh and they are diameter of 2 foot.

Bavarianbrit

Well I did my 80 days and the project is now finished for me.Never did find any hunting so I am of to Tullum near Cancun for some weeks R&R then to Las Vegas to get wed.

Bavarianbrit

Hopefully a lookalike will do the ceremony followed by a stretch limo ride up the strip.
Maybe afterwards the gun garage full auto shooting.