Hunting in the U.S?

4535jacks

I will be near Kansas City in late Feb next yesr and have a free weekend. As foriegner, could i apply for a hunting permit to hunt on public land?

Rather take a rifle or gun with me is it possible to hire over there?

captdavid

I'm not sure anything except coyotes and maybe rabbits will be legal. your best bet would be an exotic, or pig hunt in Texas. capt david

I note this:

Kansas recommends that you take your state's Hunter Education course. We accept certification from all states, Canadian provinces, Mexico and some other foreign countries.
It may be worth e-mailing the relevant authorities with a scan of the front page and if elsewhere within it relevant stalking condition on your FAC highlighted and asking of that is sufficient?

I note this:

It may be worth e-mailing the relevant authorities with a scan of the front page and if elsewhere within it relevant stalking condition on your FAC highlighted and asking of that is sufficient?
I tried that for Montana (not for me but a friend as I am an old fart!) and they wouldn't accept it, but it might work for this or other states.
Cheers
Richard

Cootmeurer

That will be prime hunting time for snow geese. The KC area is quite a major flyway. Let me look and see if I can locate a few reputable outfitters, as I normally hunt the other end of the state.

To whet your appetite a bit - snow geese during conservations season are legal to hunt with unplugged guns (I have an 8 shot extension for mine), electronic calls, and there is no limit. The down side is that this is almost all done though guides because of the size of decoy spread needed (700-2500 decoys - quite a sight to see, quite a nightmare to pick up).

Which KC will you be in, KS or MO?

Bavarianbrit

I worked for Ford in Kansas City Missouri in 1994 and lived in Parkville.
Either Kansas or Missouri state would be possible (2x cities juxtaposed to each other with the same name) Pancho"s Villa at 100 Main St, Parkville, Mo is a great Mexican eatery built into an old train carriage.

If you were born before Jan. 1, 1967 then hunter ed certification is not needed. NOTE: If you can prove you have completed an approved hunter education course in another state, you are not required to take Missouri’s Hunter Education Course. Email them with the question. Rental = I believe not as you must be legally in the USA for more than 90 days before obtaining any firearm. Get a non resident hunting license on line first from here in the UK then apply to USAs BATF for a section 6 form (fill it in and send it back) to bring a gun with you. They will then email or fax it back to you with the required permission stamp needed to show to US customs as that is the only legal way to do it. Unless you are a diplomat.
Turkey season starts a little later I was, for 2x weeks every morning out after them on public land before work started, that really wore me down!
Rabbit/crow/beaver seems ok for Mo in Feb plus snow geese, blue geese, and Ross's geese till April 30th.
Good luck.
BB

It may not be relevant to the matter to hand but I believe that ANY rifle built on a Mauser 98 action that has the cut-out on the receiver may not be imported into the US regardless of it current status. In other words even if it is now a new Holland's stalking rifle built on such a chassis or a vintage Rigby Mauser.

Bavarianbrit

It may not be relevant to the matter to hand but I believe that ANY rifle built on a Mauser 98 action that has the cut-out on the receiver may not be imported into the US regardless of it current status. In other words even if it is now a new Holland's stalking rifle built on such a chassis or a vintage Rigby Mauser.
When did that change?
I brought back in 1995 an Argentine Mauser to the UK that had been rebuilt by a gunsmith in New Mexico bought it off the smith himself at a gun show in Albuquerque.

Jackie Treehorn

I worked over there for 8 years.
So where is your knowledge from?????
Are you tending towards a keyboard ninja???? In politest terms.
I'm an American, numbnuts. I'm VERY familiar with federal U.S. firearms laws. But I'm sure your "worked there for 8 years" counts for "something," right? In the politest terms.

Ponder this while you're trying to unscrew your head: it only takes a valid state-issued I.D. card to rent a firearm from most ranges; it can be had for roughly $20 in most states. A foreign national on a tourist or work visa has passed through customs with a slightly higher level of scrutiny.

Jackie Treehorn

I will be near Kansas City in late Feb next yesr and have a free weekend. As foriegner, could i apply for a hunting permit to hunt on public land?

Rather take a rifle or gun with me is it possible to hire over there?
I can't speak for Kansas or Missouri directly, but there likely won't be a lot of animals in season during the time you've mentioned. Waterfowl season should be ended or very nearly so, deer definitely out, quail (in Oklahoma where I live) will be very nearly out of season, and small game will likely be closed by then. There ought to be some opportunities for coyotes (they're usually in season 365 days a year) and possibly feral hogs in Missouri. (I don't know what feral hog hunting opportunities are in Missouri -- there are very few in Kansas -- but Oklahoma has a LOT.)

Bavarianbrit

My head is not screwed up. I worked locally there & was just trying to help the guy out with my experiences. Rent a gun on a range of course under supervision, take the gun out of the range then thats that range closed down asap IMO first nutter to do that would cause a riot at the cop shop.
As for numbnuts, how about a septic with attitude goodbye.
Do some self soul searching.

Jackie Treehorn

My head is not screwed up. I worked locally there & was just trying to help the guy out with my experiences. Rent a gun on a range of course under supervision, take the gun out of the range then thats that range closed down asap IMO first nutter to do that would cause a riot at the cop shop.
As for numbnuts, how about a septic with attitude goodbye.
Do some self soul searching.
You consider your posts "help?" They're not anywhere within the realm of "help."

There's no mechanism within U.S. federal gun control laws requiring someone lending a firearm to deny doing so to any non-U.S. citizen. Buying a firearm and transferring ownership is an entirely different matter.

No firearms range will rent or loan a firearm to be taken off premises without supervision; that's a transfer of ownership. On the other hand, there are many professional guide services who regularly provide firearms to clients, which is done under their supervision. That's fairly routine, Mr. I-lived-here-for-eight-years. In all politeness, of course.

Last edited: