Hunting in the U.S?

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
I'm an American, numbnuts. I'm VERY familiar with federal U.S. firearms laws. But I'm sure your "worked there for 8 years" counts for "something," right? In the politest terms.

Ponder this while you're trying to unscrew your head: it only takes a valid state-issued I.D. card to rent a firearm from most ranges; it can be had for roughly $20 in most states. A foreign national on a tourist or work visa has passed through customs with a slightly higher level of scrutiny.
You may be an American, but over here we try to maintain a politeness to others. Especially on this forum. We have a ZERO TOLERANCE to abusive language and name calling. Therefore take this as a one off warning to keep it polite, or you will be removed.

Thank you

Jackie Treehorn

You may be an American, but over here we try to maintain a politeness to others. Especially on this forum. We have a ZERO TOLERANCE to abusive language and name calling. Therefore take this as a one off warning to keep it polite, or you will be removed.

Thank you
My apologies. I think we're all on the same side here and share an interest in hunting and shooting.

Bavarianbrit, please accept my personal apology to you.

At any rate, 4535jacks should be able to arrange some hunting opportunities for his visit and I'm looking forward to reading his write up.

4535jacks

Thanks for all your replies. After more reading on the subject, I am surprised how much more restrictive the u.s season are compared to here (not trying to start a debate). I am pursuing a nunber of avenues including tapping up some american friends and family.

Cootmeurer

Thanks for all your replies. After more reading on the subject, I am surprised how much more restrictive the u.s season are compared to here (not trying to start a debate). I am pursuing a nunber of avenues including tapping up some american friends and family.
What you see as "more restrictive U.S. seasons", is actually the North American Game Management Model. In the US and Canada, all game is held in trust by the government for the people. That means an individuals interests/desires are subjugated to the best interests of the people as determined by the government (essentially in a topsy turvy mirror image world - we manage our game like you manage firearms, and we manage firearms like you manage game). So, bottom line, you will be restricted in take depending on what is in season (very little in Feb) and what tags/permits you can obtain. Each state sets their game management framework, and depending on the state tags/permits may be easy, difficult, or near impossible to obtain.

As I suggested before, you will be in the peak time frame and flyway for the snow goose migration, and you will also likely be still legal to take furbearers (coyotes, fox, bobcats, perhaps badger). Nearly all other small game, and ungulates will be closed.

Cootmeurer

Might I also suggest, while in the KC area, be prepared to shop for outdoors kit. Just south of KC is a Scheels Sporting Goods in Overland Park KS. On the MO side of the river is Rogers Sporting goods (more wild fowling kit than most in the UK will ever see in a lifetime). Of course you can also track down the standard Bass Pro/Cabelas.

Jackie Treehorn

As I suggested before, you will be in the peak time frame and flyway for the snow goose migration, and you will also likely be still legal to take furbearers (coyotes, fox, bobcats, perhaps badger). Nearly all other small game, and ungulates will be closed.
These seasons/hunting opportunities may be a lot more fun for someone with a limited amount of time anyway; there should be beaucoup shooting opportunities than any deer season would offer over a weekend.