Hunting in Vermont

BLOODY TRUTH

Sorry to spoil all the fun you all have had with this story but I don't think it would be right for me to let it stand without comment. This was far from a DIY hunt as related and most of the details were embellished and taken out of context or from a different source and twisted into a first person experience to fit this narrative of a solo wilderness adventure instead of what it truly was....a story that should have been interesting enough to stand on its own.

The true story goes something like this.....on Jan 31 of last year the OP started a thread on the Tradgang Traditional Bowhunting forum titled "Hunting in the US" asking for tips and advice about bowhunting in the US. The next day I sent a PM offering to host him for a bowhunt from my cabin in northern Vermont and from there began 20 months of communication about bows and firearms, sharing hunting experiences, and planning for this adventure.

Contrary to what was stated, as could be expected of a host in another country I provided all the info I could about the area and game that would be hunted including links to the Vermont Fish & Wildlife dept, pdf maps of the public lands and videos made of the area and sent many pictures. As he couldn't make the trip last year as originally planned I took pictures throughout of all three of my week long hunts last year to show him the types of terrain and forest cover in many of the areas we were likely to hunt. I went back and forth with the VT F & W office trying to get them to accept his DSC2 and German license to meet their requirements for a general hunting license even including the Wildlife Board member representing the county my cabin is in who got the Commissioner involved but when they still couldn't accept the foreign licensing I stumbled upon the solution which was the Pennsylvania online certificate that didn't require class time.

Already you can see the pattern in contrast to how this story was related on here..... so on to the actual story. I was thinking of this as an introductory hunt that would set him up for future opportunities in the US and by providing all the transportation, nine nights accommodations at my cabin and half the meals and with Boston being the closest direct air destination and very reasonable non-resident license costs would make for a relatively inexpensive first trip. And there's no additional cost to hunt during the peak of one of the best foliage shows on earth.

The first picture was posted with a comment of not a soul in sight and of going off to camp for the evening. Then who took that picture....or the next two in the story....or this one further down the road at the start of the first day of his first hunt in the US? And who was that sleeping in my bunk room?

Later a moose fight is mentioned where he somehow got the broken antler. I found that antler the afternoon of our first day. There was no sign of a fight in the area and as we hunted in different directions that day he didn't get within a mile of where it was found. And the weather radio he used to determine daily wind direction has has been a fixture on the table in my cabin for at least 15 years.

The picture of the gap in the forest he found on the way up the mountain is actually a popular overlook in the Willoughby State Forest where we parked early one morning to check out beech stands for bears.

And then we drove to the other end of the state forest to check out more beech stands. He was correct we were probably a week late as the bears had cleaned up the area and left piles of proof behind.

The chipmunk did not become a meal - it was draped over stump behind the cabin for the critters. Nor did the porcupine...and the outstanding meal with a hint of pine came from the article on that subject in the magazine I gave him. We did make jerky out of the porky meat so he could take it back and it was on an open fire sort of....I have an old gas grill shell we use to cook with outside over hardwood and we made a smoldering fire and added applewood to smoke and dry the jerky. He has pictures of the smoke billowing out from under the grill cover but stating it was over an open fire implies at his camp so I guess pictures of that process would give that away.

The bear sighting was certainly exciting for both of us but when I heard the story a couple hours after it was not nearly as involved as the one you got. And that day he wanted to meet on the pipeline at 4pm a full two hours before sunset but describes walking out and seeing the raccoon and porcupine but being too dark to get a shot, We did see the raccoon and porcupine but from the car on different evenings. All the turkeys in the wild and whitetail deer were also seen in fields along the road from the car.

And how do you explain the video at the end? How does a bowhunter from the UK get his hands on a handgun while on a solo DIY wilderness hunt in the US? That just might be my Ruger LCR 357 and the ten rounds I brought for the hunt I let him shoot at a stop on a drive while out looking for wildlife.

These were taken on the pipeline about 2 miles in on the day after the bear sighting.

Here's a couple pictures stalking through a lower beech stand on the day the porcupine was shot which was about 1/2 way up the mountain in the distance while checking out another beech stand.

Got to say I was very reluctant to post this and wish it never went this route. We talked about posting the story on Tradgang which seemed to be natural giving it all started with a thread there and I was going to add pictures and comments but that never happened. So I went looking and found this thread and...oh my! It certainly explains why he couldn't post a totally different version of the same hunt over there. Hope you would agree it would have been just as interesting if the true story was posted here....certainly more colorful. I had sent all these pictures and more and he had his own so the real story could have been posted here as well but he chose to go with this version.

Good luck to all who get to hunt in the US. Hope yours has a better ending that this.

woodmaster

Well it was a great story and the op seems to have genuinely enjoyed the experience. A great shame your efforts and hospitality were not mentioned or tour guidance given the credit it may well deserve. Your version does give a different perspective and takes a little away from the original story. I do hope you and Wayne do not come to blows over what maybe a slightly inflated desire to portray one man in the wilderness for those in the UK who don't have access to such large tracts of land to wander. I certainly ly think your generosity should have been rewarded with at least some thanks and acknowledgement. Perhaps this will come.
Well done for taking the chance to host a fellow hunter in your beautiful part of the world, and please keep doing g so as hunting is taking a battering and we need to stick together.

devon deer stalker

I don't know what to say really, I guess @BLOODY TRUTH won't be meeting up with Wayne when he goes back over next year?
Either way it looks like Wayne had a good time with the help of Bloody Truth
Are you going to add any other posts to the forum @BLOODY TRUTH?
Where else have you hunted in the US?
I have only hunted in Montana, but fished in Montana, Colorado and Wyoming
Cheers
Richard

phitt

In his defence, George probably told him to write it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckaroo8

How perplexing!
The only logical explanation is that perhaps he typed out the plot for the next Hollywood blockbuster and accidentally posted it on here instead of emailing it to Jerry Bruckheimer.......
“The Secret Life of Walter Mereside” ?

patjack

Oh dear indeed...BUSTED.
Seems strange not to of mentioned or shown appreciation for @BLOODYTRUTHS hard work and generosity behind the scenes in the original write up.

Silvius

What an unusual story. The strangest thing is that it would have been inspirational whether DIY or with help.

It reminds me of when I got an email out of the blue on a rock climbing forum (in the days when I was slimmer and bouncier) from a Brit living in the US, inviting me to climb with him. We made several first ascents in the Utah desert, including a previously unclimbed sandstone tower. High magazine published my article which naturally praised my host's generosity, climbing ability and local knowledge. It was a better article than the DIY version of the story could have been because of the human interaction in the tale.

Anyway, before I got to the last page of the thread, I was going to say that this sort of thing is just what I have been day dreaming of for the last few months. I even bought my first bow in 3 decades at the end of August to start myself on the path. So thank you Mereside for telling us about your trip. I hope I manage something like it one day. Thank you for telling us about the BBH and their course. I did not know that one could take an accepted course outside the US. This is all really valuable information. When we share knowledge, we can do stuff we could only day dream of before.