Hunting in Vermont

I was actually getting ready to message you and see how the trip went. So glad you enjoyed the visit, and the freedom to archery hunt. Grew up on archery and you are quite correct, nothing quite like the thrill of having to close the distance to archery range.

Surprised you didn't arrow any ruffed grouse, in the wild area they will often give you a second chance if you miss the first time.

Superb story Wayne, well done. I like the ethos you have, my heart has never raced so much as being close to deer with a bow in my hand, I have had bear with a rifle but takes some nerves to try it with a bow on foot. Look forward to reading future adventures,

I’ve been asleep and missed this. What a write up thank you. Reading this has rekindled plans for another trip. On your own adventures like this are what it’s about and memories you have got will stay with you for a long time.
As you say we are all rookies when we first go out there and have to start learning all over again. it is so different and this is what makes it fun.
Thank you once again

BE

This nearly didn't get going lol, as I awaited the line to get into the US i got asked what I was doing and if I was staying with anyone, my answers didn't meet approval so got hauled off to talk some more with the police staff, after producing my tags and certs they were happy to let me go on my way to the adventure that awaited.
I missed quite a bit out of the story to get to the wilderness but on route I visited a few local gun stores and boy I wish we had the same ethos and mentality when it comes to hunting and shooting, I was in awe, even a full section for the kids, people actually stopped to talk as i wanted pictures of the kids guns, the replies were don't you have anything like this back home?.
The game weigh in stations had years of history of every animal being brought in the little grocery stores all had mounts and history of hunting and it was such a way of life it was very nice to see.
finally once into my first hunt the sheer vastness hits you, 30,000 acres of wilderness to just go off, without a soul around or to be seen just shows you how small you really are, The only thing I would do for my next trip different is have a satellite phone for an emergency, there really is nothing that could be done in the event of an accident some of the mountains that I climbed could very easily put you in a situation and in the case of something happening would anyone actually find you. this was on my mind and I was very careful but anything could happen.
I used onx which was superb to download maps and give you locations to plan and pull off, but I found sometimes on mountain areas with large rocks and steep inclines it sometimes gave inaccurate readings, you had to stop and wait for it to get a correct baring off the phone the battery was rubbish and I needed a power bank but still not enough so a dedicated gps is needed, I had to navigate a lot via compass and map but the onx was nice because you could see cuts in trees and features for animals a map just doesn't have so a few things to add to kit and a few things to ditch and i look ahead to next year, the bears will be again on the quarry list and once again head out into the unknown.
xkj6A30.jpg

15LcQ3W.jpg

x4DK69P.jpg

Last edited:
This nearly didn't get going lol, as I awaited the line to get into the US i got asked what I was doing and if I was staying with anyone, my answers didn't meet approval so got hauled off to talk some more with the police staff, after producing my tags and certs they were happy to let me go on my way to the adventure that awaited.
I missed quite a bit out of the story to get to the wilderness but on route I visited a few local gun stores and boy I wish we had the same ethos and mentality when it comes to hunting and shooting, I was in awe, even a full section for the kids, people actually stopped to talk as i wanted pictures of the kids guns, the replies were don't you have anything like this back home?.
The game weigh in stations had years of history of every animal being brought in the little grocery stores all had mounts and history of hunting and it was such a way of life it was very nice to see.
finally once into my first hunt the sheer vastness hits you, 30,000 acres of wilderness to just go off, without a soul around or to be seen just shows you how small you really are, The only thing I would do for my next trip different is have a satellite phone for an emergency, there really is nothing that could be done in the event of an accident some of the mountains that I climbed could very easily put you in a situation and in the case of something happening would anyone actually find you. this was on my mind and I was very careful but anything could happen.
I used onx which was superb to download maps and give you locations to plan and pull off, but I found sometimes on mountain areas with large rocks and steep inclines it sometimes gave inaccurate readings, you had to stop and wait for it to get a correct baring off the phone the battery was rubbish and I needed a power bank but still not enough so a dedicated gps is needed, I had to navigate a lot via compass and map but the onx was nice because you could see cuts in trees and features for animals a map just doesn't have so a few things to add to kit and a few things to ditch and i look ahead to next year, the bears will be again on the quarry list and once again head out into the unknown.
xkj6A30.jpg

15LcQ3W.jpg

x4DK69P.jpg

Its soo nice isn't it, to see kids being encouraged and actually people proud to have you out in their country hunting.

Sounds fantastic, and something I would love to do myself. Out of all the states which would be your dream destination and why. Nit necessarily for just lots of game but perhaps the environment or challenge or a specific animal?

Sounds fantastic, and something I would love to do myself. Out of all the states which would be your dream destination and why. Nit necessarily for just lots of game but perhaps the environment or challenge or a specific animal?
Woodmaster I think for me it would be Alaska for moose and caribou, But I also really want a bear and also a mountain lion and lynx all with the bow I also would like to go for Elk so I have a long list and so many great places to be, I will just start with the black bear and go through it, although to do something really remote and solitary I need age to be on my side, there is something about doing it solo like a guy called Mike mitten, he has a great pod cast and some awesome youtube footage, I like things tough so we shall see,regards wayne
I found a post where a chap drew a moose tag on his first draw so that is always a possibility and i will start putting in preference points on places to go

Last edited:
Firstly, @mereside no they don't like it if you don't supply an address where you are staying, I always state my friends address in the city on my final destination, but as you say once they know you are hunting and staying in tents they start asking more friendly hunting related questions!
A Garmin inreach is certainly a good idea hunting on your own, but too be honest it's much safer hunting with a buddy would you say so @big ears ?
I got myself in a pickle on a side stream of the Yellowstone river, the mud look hard enough to walk across, big mistake, I instantly sunk up to my waist, got out with a struggle (laying my Blaser across mud for support:doh: ) but I was worried a little, but I did know that @big ears knew where I was.

Where would I hunt, it would be Alaska, All sheep hunt, but at $15k minimum it will never happen, plus as non resident aliens (their description of us hunting foreigners!) we cannot do a DIY hunt, you have to employ an outfitter.
Check this out it's BC Canada but you get the idea

Last edited:
Kudos to you Merrside! Enjoyed your story, that is fantastic that you even saw a bear. That country is terribly thick. Respectfully suggest you consider Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. You will likely see more bears and you might be able to deer hunt too. Richard, your favorite US hunting destination has an unlimited sheep hunting area or two. It is described by more than one as the toughest sheep hunting in the lower 48. Dare you to try it.

Kudos to you Merrside! Enjoyed your story, that is fantastic that you even saw a bear. That country is terribly thick. Respectfully suggest you consider Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming. You will likely see more bears and you might be able to deer hunt too. Richard, your favorite US hunting destination has an unlimited sheep hunting area or two. It is described by more than one as the toughest sheep hunting in the lower 48. Dare you to try it.
Too be honest @A Guy Out West I hadn't even considered Montana as the odds of drawing a Sheep/Mountain Goat tag are slim aren't they?
Where I was hunting Elk last year we got up to 9000' and found Mountain Goats, which was a great sight.
The area you are referring to, is it the Beartooths?
Sorry @mereside I didn't want to sideline your report....but you should consider the states above, we saw bears on our last visit, well actually I heard momma bear, by the time I looked down all I saw was the backside of a cub!
The others guys in my party had a great encounter, walking back they came across a boar, he stood up, looked at them, then ran away.
Cheers
Richard

Too be honest @A Guy Out West I hadn't even considered Montana as the odds of drawing a Sheep/Mountain Goat tag are slim aren't they?
Where I was hunting Elk last year we got up to 9000' and found Mountain Goats, which was a great sight.
The area you are referring to, is it the Beartooths?
Sorry @mereside I didn't want to sideline your report....but you should consider the states above, we saw bears on our last visit, well actually I heard momma bear, by the time I looked down all I saw was the backside of a cub!
The others guys in my party had a great encounter, walking back they came across a boar, he stood up, looked at them, then ran away.
Cheers
Richard
Not sure of the unit, give the regs a going over. Last time I looked at it you could just buy a tag and go. That will tell you that the hunting is not that great there.... and you better be in the shape of an SAS trooper.

Not sure of the unit, give the regs a going over. Last time I looked at it you could just buy a tag and go. That will tell you that the hunting is not that great there.... and you better be in the shape of an SAS trooper.
To clarify, all of the units are a slim draw for sheep. The exception is the 1 or 2 areas that you can just buy the tag and go. I’m guessing this would be a horse pack in to have any hope of success. Most likely, a lot of time involved too.

Nevada, hands down. Plenty of fine quality game and some amazing country. Tags are very limited , even for residents, but the quality of the experience is worth it. Mule Deer would do it for me, a 30” or better... perhaps a good bull elk. If I was about 30 years younger, I would try for a Himilayan Snow Cock up in the Ruby mountains. Mereside, that might be a project for you. Do it with a bow and write a book about it.

Woodmaster I think for me it would be Alaska for moose and caribou, But I also really want a bear and also a mountain lion and lynx all with the bow I also would like to go for Elk so I have a long list and so many great places to be, I will just start with the black bear and go through it, although to do something really remote and solitary I need age to be on my side, there is something about doing it solo like a guy called Mike mitten, he has a great pod cast and some awesome youtube footage, I like things tough so we shall see,regards wayne
I found a post where a chap drew a moose tag on his first draw so that is always a possibility and i will start putting in preference points on places to go
Alaska has loads of black bear and I believe non residents don’t need to hire a guide. Bring your fishing rod.

all of those places sound good and will get my attention, bring on the bow season next year I am ready to try again,regards wayne

The video was amazing. And to be able to do that with your Dad would be an adventure of a life time. Unfortunately mine was killed very young so I'll never get to do that. But I loved how much feeling the camera man let out of his love and respect for his Dad. I watched a good series of YouTube video of the guy from realtree hunting in a self guided visit to Alaska and I will do that someday while I'm still fit enough. I envy those who get to spend time in such amazing places. Good hunting.

Back