Hunting knives for kids

Got one of these for my 9 yr old, seems to fit his hands pretty well and holds a reasonable edge

Attachments

• shopping.jpeg
    shopping.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 21
To be honest, I thought it would straightforward to find a kids knife somewhere for under £30.
Realistically he will probably eventually lose it so I didn’t want to spend too much time or money on it. Maybe when he’s older we’ll make one or get him a decent one.

Another choice?

You could ask Snakes Knives on here.

He just made 1 up for my young boy as a birthday gift and charged far from expensive for it to exactly my design and measurements. He also added a small loop to the sheath for a fire steel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210721_235140_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721_235140_com.whatsapp.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210721_235135_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721_235135_com.whatsapp.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210721_235122_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721_235122_com.whatsapp.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20210721_235126_com.whatsapp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210721_235126_com.whatsapp.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 16
Ten years ago I would have totally agreed with you in fact I have taught a lot of young boys and girls to shoot shot guns. And two went on to get into the county youth team. But with what is happening in the shooting world today is it worth getting them involved only to have it stopped at some point in THEIR future.
and if no kids are brought into the sport you will guarantee its demise..... nearly 10% of my wildfowling club are junior members

found this kids knife selection if anyone else is looking for similar….
They are all missing a bar to stop hands sliding out onto the blade!
I personally stay clear of fixed blades without a good ‘stop’ point between handle and blade

You could ask Snakes Knives on here.

He just made 1 up for my young boy as a birthday gift and charged far from expensive for it to exactly my design and measurements. He also added a small loop to the sheath for a fire steel.
Nice!

Could you clarify - did he just do the sheath, or both knife and sheath?

I would have a look at something more like this - No.7 Round Ended Safety Knife | Moonraker Accessories

With a knife a sideways cut is just going to be a cut that is painful - but that is part of life and you learn not to. And you need to learn from young days. The danger is a stabbing / penetrating type injury. I remember there was a kid in the village I grew up in who a sheath knife on a dangly sheath on his belt. It slipped round to his front. He bent over to pick something up and his body pressed the knife through the sheath and into his groin. He was very lucky to survive.

A blunt rounded end makes such damage much more unlikely, yet you still have 95% of the utility of the knife. Indeed to gralloch, and to make the initial incision, pull skin up and cut crossways to make a hole.

From a safety perspective I would always go with a fixed bladed knife with a solid sheath. Non locking folding knives are just waiting to slice your fingers.

My one comment re Opinals is that their handles can be very slippery when wet. That's why I like the Mora knives. For a kid I would by the basic Mora knife and a few minutes with a grinder, round that end off to make it safe.

Back