Hunting private land - Botswana and/or South Africa

Let's say the following:

1. Both areas has the same acres land.
2. The environment is the same.
3. Both areas have the same species to hunt.
4. Will you fly in lets say to Sir Seretse Khama in Gaborone then travel 3 hours to the hunting area or drive in from OR Tambo for 5-6 hours seeing a bit of both countries?

Will you choose which area to hunt and why?

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Done both north and south of the Kalahari in Botswana 1990 and 2000. I am looking at hunting for a Caracal at the moment, plus maybe one or two smaller species. But going through two major airports to get to the destination is not my idea of fun.

Done both north and south of the Kalahari in Botswana 1990 and 2000. I am looking at hunting for a Caracal at the moment, plus maybe one or two smaller species. But going through two major airports to get to the destination is not my idea of fun.
Ok, so, you will rather do some site seeing for 5-6 hours than fly in from OR Tambo to Gaborone and then do 3 hours driving to the hunting area??

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Ok, so, you will rather do some site seeing for 5-6 hours than fly in from OR Tambo to Gaborone and then do 3 hours driving to the hunting area??
Any hunt I have done in Africa or indeed anywhere else in Europe has included driving to and from a major airport. Except when in Botswana which entailed driving from Vic falls into Botswana and hunting along the Caprivi Strip with Gordon Cundall. I have no issue with driving for 3 hours to a camp or staying over night in a nice hotel and being driven the next day. What I do not look forward to is flying with firearms into two different countries and all the hassle one gets these days with corrupt officials and getting on and off another plane with firearms
There is more chance of loosing your guns and having some official give you grief. So I prefer to fly direct and get their, after all that is also a major slice of your expenditure, just getting there in the first place.

Any hunt I have done in Africa or indeed anywhere else in Europe has included driving to and from a major airport. Except when in Botswana which entailed driving from Vic falls into Botswana and hunting along the Caprivi Strip with Gordon Cundall. I have no issue with driving for 3 hours to a camp or staying over night in a nice hotel and being driven the next day. What I do not look forward to is flying with firearms into two different countries and all the hassle one gets these days with corrupt officials and getting on and off another plane with firearms
There is more chance of loosing your guns and having some official give you grief. So I prefer to fly direct and get their, after all that is also a major slice of your expenditure, just getting there in the first place.

ok, so, you will then fly in to OR Tambo and do some site seeing with me for 5-6 hours? :D

loosing weapons are always a big problem, especially changing multiple flights doing a safari. I know I will cry my heart out...:eek:

Last edited: