ID these droppings!

Erik Hamburger

Good morning! Having a look around a woodland yesterday I came across Muntjac and Roe droppings. The wider area is know to hold Fallow and Wild Boar. I would be interested in your views...can you ID these droppings? The smaller pellets are Muntjac sized but far more cylindrical than I have ever seen. A giant rat
1f609.png
;)
? The larger one is not mine, but could be the local farmer of course...for scaling help: The boot size is 11. Muntjac or rat Alder Wood.jpg Wild Boar Alder Wood.jpg

Erik Hamburger

Squirrel?

Alan

Of course! Squirrel! Why couldn't I think of that.....I googled 'squirrel droppings' and that is it. It was near some old pheasant feeder bins with some spilled corn still on the ground. Thank you!
Now solve the big one please..... the landowners daughter, Fallow or Boar?

Alantoo

Of your three options I would say definitely Fallow. It is clustered herbivore pellets, and the omnivore boar droppings that I have seen are much larger lumps which almost merge together, looking more like constipated human pooh!

Alan

Last edited:

patrickt

I would guess it to be a Fallow Buck given the size, and it being turd like, also being similar to a Red Stag
But that my guess

Patrick

paul o'

Sorry mty wife has me on a green food only and could't help but leave it there ? you know how it go's cant go for days then :doh: Tiz fallow looks nice and juicy

Alantoo

Doubt it squirrel, look at the volume. The second most likely fallow from options given

Why say? Why would that volume exclude a squirrel? Apart from anything else Erik says it was found beside a concentrated food source. I remember having to clean half a bucket full of squirrel pellets out of our attic space when we first moved in.

What circumstance would cause your preferred animals, which have identical pooh to that of a squirrel, to pooh frequently in the same place which would not apply to squirrels? Presumably your alternative is a similar sized animal with a similar sized sphincter and diet.

Alan

kes

2nd pic looks like sheep.

I have a small flock of sheep and their poo is much darker They are grass fed. Their poois also more disaggregated - i.e. it doesnt stick togther like the picture. I would say its from a woodland browser.

Alantoo

I'd say rat and fallow but others may disagree.

Rat droppings I think are meaner and spikier, the squirrel ones are more rounded ends...like these. Unless I am reading the boot size/scale incorrectly these are also a bit bigger than rat.

Alan

.25-06

Photo0281.jpg
This one is roe, would a little roe fawn or muntjac be so dissimilar? given the recent dry weather?
Should animals mark out territory it is usually a noteable spot, something different to the surroundings, otters, martins raised on a stone, at an opening/tunnel/forest ride suchlike

Why say? Why would that volume exclude a squirrel? Apart from anything else Erik says it was found beside a concentrated food source. I remember having to clean half a bucket full of squirrel pellets out of our attic space when we first moved in.

What circumstance would cause your preferred animals, which have identical pooh to that of a squirrel, to pooh frequently in the same place which would not apply to squirrels? Presumably your alternative is a similar sized animal with a similar sized sphincter and diet.

Alan

Erik Hamburger

Thank you all! Opinions are divided: The small droppings: Rat, giant rat ;) ; squirrel; Roe fawn; Muntjac fawn.... who knows. The large droppings: Sheep; Fallow; maybe Boar. (There is no sheep on the surrounding farms)
Stealth Cams next!
I would be happy with either Fallow or Boar because both species are not on my usual shopping list.