Ideal time for lamping rabbits?

Just wondering what time folk are venturing out to lamp rabbits? I know this will vary with weather, location etc, I'm new to lamping and have been struggling to get any. Tried both working along hedges and (VERY) quietly sitting out for them in the areas where they leave most evidence. Where possible I've been sat out on top of the farm buildings just to try and eliminate my stalking as the problem. Fresh droppings, digs and nibbled winter wheat all point to plenty being there. I've varied my start times from dusk up until 8pm but still no results. I've always taken the wind into consideration, avoided rainy weather, not shone the lamp around too much and I'd like to think I'm pretty stealthy. Am I too early???

Andy-shooter

In my experience they can be out any time, if you have a trail camera stick that up near the warren and see if you get anything. If you do you may find there is some regularity to their behaviour (or not)

What time are you venturing out at the moment?

Andy

Good idea. Hopefully that will narrow down the timings. Earliest I'm out is dusk and the latest so far is 8pm, usually out for 2-3 hours.

Yorric

Bunnies don't particularly like getting wet & often stay underground avoiding it. I always found that they are often out before the dew forms & go down to keep dry & warm as it starts getting wet under foot.
For the same reason you won't see so many when it is raining or when tall grass is wet. After rain they will come out onto short grass lawns first.

Ian

Cyres

A small amount of rabbits can do a lot of damage so it is possible that you not got that many. If poss borrow a thermal. I would say you want to be out after 8pm. Choose dark breezy evening and work up wind. If lamping quick sweep to pick up eyes and then plan you stalk. Easier with NV.

Rabbit nightly behaviour is strange. I have been sitting out for hours over the last few weeks culling foxs and the field I sit overlooking has a healthy bunny population. At 8.30 pm only a few out but by 10 pm may have 15 in view. Some stay put others are v active and travel considerable distances esp if it a buck chasing does. They are however creatures of habit. Also they will wise up quite quickly. Best to use air rifle or .22lr with subs. If you know somebody with a thermal then thats the best way of seeing you lokely population.

D

Ray7756

I often see bunnies in my street ( on the edge of the village) when I come back from foxing and that is from 10 pm to gone midnight, and no i cant shoot them due to it being a street, none show up in my back garden ???
Cheers
Ray

Andy-shooter

Good idea. Hopefully that will narrow down the timings. Earliest I'm out is dusk and the latest so far is 8pm, usually out for 2-3 hours.
Thats about the time frame I go out and I usually see (and shoot) a few.

What colour lamp are you using? If not red, try a red T38 or T50, they pick up eyeshine out to 150m easy. I have NV but sometimes use the lamp for a quick sweep to locate the areas bunnies are before stalking in to shootable range if I’m using 22LR or just shooting them if I am using .17 hornet.

philip

How longs a piece of string really

Summertime they are out all day

Wintertime the weather plays a helping hand in keeping them in

Two of my perms 1st one is sheep pasture and soft fruit - rabbits are out there 24/7 in numbers

2nd perm. Grass and fruit trees - don’t bother until 10 pm summer or winter and there’s plenty of em

Variables of weather, disturbance food availability or play a hand

If your getting damage and seeing none stick a stealth camera in amongst them to get a time and set up well before in a pre made hide

Good luck

Phil

FISH BOY

None of my permissions have them out in the day, however at dusk they will appear to get the last few rays to warm up but generally stick close to cover.

They only seem to get thier confidence and venture out when its full dark.

As mentioned earlier, pretty much a complete no show in or breifly after rain.

Must admit, ive never done an early morning session on rabbits as its a bit antisocial with the HMR...

Thats about the time frame I go out and I usually see (and shoot) a few.

What colour lamp are you using? If not red, try a red T38 or T50, they pick up eyeshine out to 150m easy. I have NV but sometimes use the lamp for a quick sweep to locate the areas bunnies are before stalking in to shootable range if I’m using 22LR or just shooting them if I am using .17 hornet.
I'm using a red coloured lamp which stretches out to about 200m. As the farm is pretty flat and the problems are near the farm buildings I'm using a .22 air rifle to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all the information everyone, I've set up three trail cameras just now so they'll hopefully show me what is about and when.

Depends on time of year, Early morning can be good, Some like the wet/lush grass, or if lamping at night leave it till later on in the night give them a chance to come out from the hedges into the open fields.