Ideas on 300 win mag rifle

paulbshooting

Evening all

I seem to be going in circles so ideas welcome please. I am after a 300 win mag rifle, mainly for trips to Scotland and hopefully overseas at some point. I prefer fluted barrels and synthetic stainless build. I am a 308 user but thinking about a mid weight rifle for win mag to help with recoil but be portable enough for the hill. I always use a mod and heard good reports on Atec Hertz. Owned CZ, Tikka, Sako and RPA upto and including 308 but never 300 win mag. Found all sorts of issues with various rifle options on web, mainly with mag feeds on long action calibres. I only use factory ammo.

Latest thinking is maybe Mauser M12 / extreme. Sauer entry models look a bit basic and no experience of. Budget new £1500 max. Prefer to buy new and shoot in barrel myself, old school I know but works for me. Thanks in advance.

Tikka t3x hunter or varmint I have the varmint in 7rm it's recoil isn't an issue what so ever nice weight would be nice in 300 win mag

Sounds like an interesting plan, have you considered the 7mm Mag? If I was to step up from a .30 cal I would consider a .375.

Recently spent an arvo shooting gongs with a 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag from 75-750m. 7mm RM was a Tikka T3 Supervarmint. 300 WM was a Kimber Montana. Neither were suppressed or breaked.

We all loved the 7mm RM. Very sensible rifle. Heavy, well balanced, fantastic accuracy. We hated the 300 WM, including the rifles's new owner. Kicks like hell, developed a flinch after the first couple of shots. Far too light a build. Hopeless in a mountain rifle config.

Previous poster's question is valid - why do you want a 300 Win Mag? If you go that route I'd strongly recommend a heavy rifle with a very straight stock, Sendero style design.

The Winchester Model 70 in stainless is a nice rifle. So is the Remington 700 XCR, with its titanium nitride finish - better than Cerakote. I have an older M700 BDL SS in .30-06 that is very accurate right out of the box, and recoil not noticeable even with heaviest loads. All these rifles have 24 inch barrels, and weigh about 7.5 lbs out of the box. For far less money, Winchester makes the XPR in .300 Win Mag with a long barrel and the SR with a short barrel, threaded muzzle. I have one in 7mm-08, and it is very good, grade above other entry-level rifles.

Perceived recoil is usually down to rifle fit
if your filling a case with 70-80gr of powder it's going to kick
get over it

the 300wm in my opinion is a better option Thant the 7mm rm purely on bullet weight options
7rm maxes out at 175gr
300wm at 220gr

the energy options are much wider in 30cal form

i ran a 300wm in sporter profile barrel and lightweight stalking wood stock

shooting 180gr and 208gra decent recoil pad and a brake or t12 mod it was a pussycat to shoot
bit punchy without any barrel jewellery but tolerable for anything other than long range attings

It all depends what the "overseas" use would be. 30-06 will see off most game. Load it with the right bullets & it will see off most quarry beasts.
Pussycat to shoot, ammo available the world over at reasonable prices, bullets from 100 to over 200 grains, blah blah blah! Easy to load for unlike the 300 WM which has a silly short neck. Plus why knock your teeth out unnecessarily?

Ian

(30-06 shooter so biased interest declared) LOL

It all depends what the "overseas" use would be. 30-06 will see off most game. Load it with the right bullets & it will see off most quarry beasts.
Pussycat to shoot, ammo available the world over at reasonable prices, bullets from 100 to over 200 grains, blah blah blah! Easy to load for unlike the 300 WM which has a silly short neck. Plus why knock your teeth out unnecessarily?

Ian

(30-06 shooter so biased interest declared) LOL
Totally agree with your comments, but then I too am a 30-06 shooter. I have many guns but the ought 6 is my only rifle;)
Tusker

shooting 180gr and 208gra decent recoil pad and a brake or t12 mod it was a pussycat to shoot

View attachment 83818

No one I know "enjoys" shooting a 300 WM at the range unless they've got a custom build with a sorted chassis. And there's usually some dick waving going on as well. Killing power of the calibre is unquestioned. But whether its required or not is a matter of conjecture. In Scotland? Not unless you're shooting heavy bodied (100kg+) on a (very) regular basis from extended ranges. Overseas you're into 300 WM territory if you're shooting elk, moose, big sambar stags again at extended ranges.

If the OP wants a 300 WM, no problem, he's asking which rifle, he uses a break, he says 'medium' weight. If I were him and I actually wanted to shoot it on a regular basis to get my skills up to scratch, I'd get a smaller magnum with better manners, OR, accept a heavy 26" barrel and decent weight stock as a minimum.

A user of the 300WM myself, cheap weatherby with a sporter barrel and Boyds stock, i always get asked why the big calibre. Put simply - with the right bullet and high BC they don't buck with the wind. providing a predictable and accurate shot placement, out to as far as i am prepared to shoot, knowing that when it gets there it will achieve the desired effect. no other reason.

Thanks to all and much to consider. The last post from Tam the Gun really sums up why I want to go the 300WM route alongside my working 308 setup. On the few trips up north each season I am there to help get the cull done so whilst I can often get sub 200m, depending on terrain, and happy to use ASV turret to stretch a little beyond, the wind effect on the 308 is the limiting factor. Tam - what scope do you use and factory ammo?

Hi Paul,

I also use a .300wm and do not have a problem with the recoil prone or off sticks, mine is a Bergara B14 in a Walnut Stock I have an Ase Ultra Mod on it along with a Zeiss V8 with ASV and use Sako 180g Super Hammerhead and Geco 170g soft point with virtually the same POI at 100m I have used it on the range out to 400m and some vermin out to 300m not been on the hill with it yet as had a bad break in leg before Xmas but should get there this season hope you find what your looking for

Happy Hunting

Paul D

Back