Idot gun shops

wildrover77

Was in a gun shop yesterday in Yorkshire.

A couple brought in a cased Tranter pistol. They asked for a valuation, the bloke inherited it from his father and need to pay his brother and sister out.

The shop manager told him it was a prohibited firearm unless it was deactivated, was proposing to charge him to do this!

I pointed out it was an antique and section 58, steered him towards a dealer who knew what he was doing.

Ray7756

Whether the guy in the " gun shop" knew what he was doing or not he definately knew the only way he was going to make money was to deactivate the pistol , therefore robbing us of its history
Makes my blood boil when I hear of vandalism like this
Well done wildrover for putting the guy on the correct track and saving a bit of our firearms history
Cheers
Ray

Roro

Was in a gun shop yesterday in Yorkshire.

A couple brought in a cased Tranter pistol. They asked for a valuation, the bloke inherited it from his father and need to pay his brother and sister out.

The shop manager told him it was a prohibited firearm unless it was deactivated, was proposing to charge him to do this!

I pointed out it was an antique and section 58, steered him towards a dealer who knew what he was doing.

Bloody well done, i have seen this type of rubbish going on before. A lad bringing in a well known British maker side by side sidelock in excellent condition, to be told its worthless and to scrap it. I don't know if the shop owner was stupid or corrupt and trying to diddle the lad out of a reasonably valuable gun.

wildrover77

In this instance I got the distinct impression it was stupidity.

I don’t want to name the shop i don’t think for a minute they would be anything but honest.

I know the previous shop manger very well and he was very experienced and knowledgeable. This guy is an imbecile.

Roro

In this instance I got the distinct impression it was stupidity.

I don’t want to name the shop i don’t think for a minute they would be anything but honest.

I know the previous shop manger very well and he was very experienced and knowledgeable. This guy is an imbecile.
Most people in gun shops now are only counter hands, they have never worked in the actual gun trade or as gunsmiths. They know about what they see in the shooting magazines or on youtube, nothing more than ten years old.

alberta boy

Most people in gun shops now are only counter hands, they have never worked in the actual gun trade or as gunsmiths. They know about what they see in the shooting magazines or on youtube, nothing more than ten years old.
Unfortunately , too true on my side of the pond as well . Some of the things I've heard from some sales staff still makes me cringe .

AB