Illegal deer lamping/poaching

The deer man

An earlier post urged me on for this one as the illegal taking of deer whether lamping, poaching or shooting out of season is a real problem here in Suffolk. It would be interesting to hear others comment on this.

Who has illegal deer lamping/poaching in their area and how do you find it affects the deer population?

How do the local authorities deal with it, if at all?

What do you do to try and prevent it?

we have a lot of the same problem here in Ireland with so many people unemployed its an easy ways for some people to make money talking the biggest stags possible for weight at night which is totally illegal . currently they are discussing a ban on center fire rifles at night and anyone caught with one it will be confiscated

It's rife around here, usually with the landowners consent!

So not poaching but taking within the hours of darkness without a license. Never understood why it is a crime to shoot deer on your own land at night, we allow foxing with the same calibre,s, so not for safety. I suppose it goes back to keeping the surfs in there place, and the deer for the upperclassman.

So not poaching but taking within the hours of darkness without a license. Never understood why it is a crime to shoot deer on your own land at night, we allow foxing with the same calibre,s, so not for safety. I suppose it goes back to keeping the surfs in there place, and the deer for the upperclassman.

​Guess this might be a wind up - if so it's a pretty good one.

I think it probably has a bit to do with it is so bloody easy to wipe a population out at night with them transfixed in the lamp.

I'm sure most fall over around here when people are out "foxing"

I found a shot roe Doe last week approx 20 mtr from the road and the next day I found a shot young buck on the other side of the lane, both were cleanly shot but just left .

I photographed the deer and tyre tracks and reported it to the police and never heard any thing since.

With having very few public roads where I worked,and field entrances/estate roads etc gated we were relatively lucky.
I know other farms suffered with night shooters and dog men.
To be fair to the police one of the largest problems we had was lack of available officers if needed after the down-scaling of rural bobbies.At least the local lads had a vague idea where any problem might be when asked for help and had a greater understanding of what we were up against as well as knowing who the local poachers were

Last edited:
The Lamp? Surely its NV now that is used all the serious ones that take huge numbers at night would not be seen dead with a Lamp.
Nearby to My permissions there is a local land owner who has done such a good job at night that the big herds are all but gone now and one or two stalkers have given up and moved on as things have got that difficult and there are very few Fallow about, hey ho all in the name of crop protection and not wanting deer disturbing the game birds.

The roe around here have all but been cleaned up tracks through crops as late as a couple of weeks ago.
there is a network of roads and tracks so there is very little land that cannot be seen from a road or lane.
men in cammo and carring rifles have been seen by local lorry drivers at 4am actually walking along roads.

sorry should have said in Ireland it is illegal to shoot deer at night the penalty can be up to 10,000 euros

ho hum there is some pretty serious allegations going on here, 4am is getting daylight around here,could be people going to a high seat ready for dawn

This pretty much sums it up and it happens an awful lot around here. I've met people locally that are very open about what they do and don't even know it is illegal!
I met one fella on a game shoot who had shot hundreds of deer with a .22 rimfire and admitted to never actually shooting a deer in the daylight! He also didn't think he was doing anything wrong.
If that isn't an argument towards DSC 1 being compulsary then what is?:lol: Not that it would change their behaviour in any way I suspect!
Mind you, why shouldn't you be able to shoot deer under the lamp?:stir: You can see them clearly, more so than at very last light through poor optics. There clearly isn't a safety issue as you can legally shoot foxes with a deer legal calibre over a lamp. What is the problem? If the weather is bad and it gets dark early, I can also use the lamp legally up to one hour after sunset in England, same as I can for an hour before sunrise.
It is legal to lamp deer in England at these times!
:popcorn:MS:D

This pretty much sums it up and it happens an awful lot around here. I've met people locally that are very open about what they do and don't even know it is illegal!
I met one fella on a game shoot who had shot hundreds of deer with a .22 rimfire and admitted to never actually shooting a deer in the daylight! He also didn't think he was doing anything wrong.
If that isn't an argument towards DSC 1 being compulsary then what is?:lol: Not that it would change their behaviour in any way I suspect!
Mind you, why shouldn't you be able to shoot deer under the lamp?:stir: You can see them clearly, more so than at very last light through poor optics. There clearly isn't a safety issue as you can legally shoot foxes with a deer legal calibre over a lamp. What is the problem? If the weather is bad and it gets dark early, I can also use the lamp legally up to one hour after sunset in England, same as I can for an hour before sunrise.
It is legal to lamp deer in England at these times!
:popcorn:MS:D

I prefer to do all my lamping in the day time around 12pm , that way you don't have to carry a big heavy battery n all ;)

we have a lot of the same problem here in Ireland with so many people unemployed its an easy ways for some people to make money talking the biggest stags possible for weight at night which is totally illegal . currently they are discussing a ban on center fire rifles at night and anyone caught with one it will be confiscated

Hi can you tell me were and who are discussing the ban on center fire rifles at night in ireland

Thats one way to ensure deer are shot inhumanly with .22RF`s.

****wit authorities.

Why so upset the FC & their contractors have and still are doing it to excess in many cases under the B**** guise of a licence & protection:stir: I'm not saying some isn't needed but think they take the proverbial.

Back