Illegal gun factory!

reloader54

more media sensationalism no doubt, massive gun factory my arse. more likely a couple of dodgy characters bored with dicking around with transmissions and decide to dick around with a firearm instead, my guess [based of experience] is in cases like this plod sees a lathe or a milling machine and alarm bells start ringing, all very astute of them but not always the case. not excusing these pricks and I hope they feel the full weight of the law if guilty, but massive gun factory,,,, doubtful.
nevertheless more ammunition to aim at the legal owners of guns I expect, chip,chip,chip.

alberta boy

more media sensationalism no doubt, massive gun factory my arse. more likely a couple of dodgy characters bored with dicking around with transmissions and decide to dick around with a firearm instead, my guess [based of experience] is in cases like this plod sees a lathe or a milling machine and alarm bells start ringing, all very astute of them but not always the case. not excusing these pricks and I hope they feel the full weight of the law if guilty, but massive gun factory,,,, doubtful.
nevertheless more ammunition to aim at the legal owners of guns I expect, chip,chip,chip.

The media tends to exaggerate . There was an article here recently that reported an arsenal of weapons had been seized by the RCMP . Turns out the guy had a 22lr bolt action , a beat up 12 gauge pump and a Winchester 94 in 30/30 .......... all legally acquired and licensed . There had been a minor altercation between the firearms owner and a family member , the family member decided to be a dick and told the Mounties that there were illegal firearms in the house , there weren't . Long story short , there was no story , just a petty tool who wan't to cause trouble . The news media still jumped on it though . The subject of the seizure got his firearms back with an apology from the Mounties , that part wasn't as big a story though .

AB

Mick9abf

http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov....-gun-factory-on-east-sussex-industrial-estate

No sensationalism in this press release, I don’t know your ‘experience’ but the NCA tend to work on covert intelligence led enquiries and have carried out armed enforcement operation on the industrial unit. Better than local plod picking up the pieces of another gang shooting in London/Birmingham/Liverpool (insert city of choice).

As to how many guns they can or could have produced is open to debate but plenty of rifle builders make a good legal living out of relatively small premises with similar engineering equipment. I don’t think it will effect legal gun owners unless anyone is stupid enough to produce ammunition for criminals like the recent RFD who has gone to jail - that is better ammunition to aim at legal owners as opposed to an organised criminal enterprise.

Current legislation is more than efficient but until the public realise that as long as there is money to be made criminals will find ways to possess firearms if they want them, particularly from Eastern Europe via ferry ports. Unfortunately HMRC are more interested in unpaid duties on contraband, and that I know from ‘experience’.

Class A drugs have been banned for decades and it has had zero effect on the availability of them, the same would be the case if, in the unlikely event, firearm ownership was completely banned in the UK, in fact it would only be the criminals that have them.

I think that as legal firearms holders we should be vocally supporting these sort of law enforcement operations whilst highlighting the fact that these are criminals and not probably the most law abiding group of citizens in the country.

bbrc

Im glad they’re caught but I am just hoping none of those arrested/involved have fac’s

deeangeo

Criminals have no respect or consideration of or for the law.
Whether those concerned have FAC’s or not, it is they who are the law breakers, not the rest of the law abiding shooting community, so as an FAC holder if you deal with criminals, expect to get busted.
If you don’t deal with them you’ll remain unaffected.

User00003

In today’s world, FAC holders can do a million good or great things, and it will go unnoticed, they/or one, does something controversial or illegal, and we as a law abiding community get tarred and feathered by the media and masses, just the way it is. Might as well just get used to it.

as for these guys, thank god they were caught before innocent people
were shot or wounded! Well done to the police on this one, even though by a bit of luck only it seems ;)

reloader54

Criminals have no respect or consideration of or for the law.
Whether those concerned have FAC’s or not, it is they who are the law breakers, not the rest of the law abiding shooting community, so as an FAC holder if you deal with criminals, expect to get busted.
If you don’t deal with them you’ll remain unaffected.

i partly agree with your above statements, however,,,
with respect, I 'm pretty certain nobody here had any dealings with Thomas Hamilton,Michael Ryan, ect, but we paid the price nevertheless.

bullet chucker

I had the impression that bangs were heard thought to be shots and the firearms branch were called to the machine shop premises and three people were caught with hand guns, one of which had ammunition on his person.Will be interesting to find out what the story really is.

BC.

deeangeo

i partly agree with your above statements, however,,,
with respect, I 'm pretty certain nobody here had any dealings with Thomas Hamilton,Michael Ryan, ect, but we paid the price nevertheless.

True, we were indeed penalised, most especially after Hamilton/Dunblane, - but a gun factory?
I can’t see how that can be laid at any other than a criminals door.
When one of these places is found, another arse will set up another unit and you need some pretty decent funding to come up with the equipment to do so.
Drug money will certainly fund a project of that nature, so the ordinary shooting community are most likely to be completely outside anything like this.

BryanDC

True, we were indeed penalised, most especially after Hamilton/Dunblane, - but a gun factory?
When one of these places is found, another arse will set up another unit and you need some pretty decent funding to come up with the equipment to do so.
Drug money will certainly fund a project of that nature, so the ordinary shooting community are most likely to be completely outside anything like this.

Unfortunately it is not that complicated or expensive to machine a device that will fire a bullet. I can remember many years ago the company I worked for was making a small spring loaded device to fire a blank cartridge. It was used to start the chemical charging of a battery on a hand held rocket launcher. The device could easily fit in someones pocket, was incredibly simple and could be made with a lathe and milling machine. What is difficult to manufacture at least in numbers is the ammunition and components for it.

reloader54

again I see what you are saying and we agree, the point I was making was the connections made by police when they see lathes, milling machines, and virtually any metalworking tool, along with metal weather it's suitable for gun making or not.

lathes and milling machines can be bought for a few hundred ££s far less than the price of an antique pistol in most cases,

how long will it be before ownership of tools capable of making/converting something illegal, becomes illegal or at least suspicious ?? , its akin to being accused of speeding "because your car can break the speed limit" not because you have.

my point, should it be in question is, guns are man made, by bona fide licensed tradesmen for legal and legitimate purposes, and also unfortunately therefore can be made relatively easy by those choosing to act outside of the laws. owning the equipment to do either should not be indicative of any intention to disregard current laws.
innocent until proven guilty.

Last edited: