In field hoist

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

Fursty Ferret

Thinking of setting up a in the field (well woodland) hoist for field dressing
Got an old punchbag frame i was thinking of strapping to a tree and rigging up a gambrel and pulley for dressing out deer in the field before taking back to a chiller
Does anyone else do anything similar or have any suggestions?

ejg

I sometimes carry a very light pulley system made from dingy sailing parts. Never use a gambrel as a branch
and a bit of paracord will do the same. The big advantage of dressing in the field and skinning at the car is that one can get rid of the skin
and other bits right away. I stick the skinned carcass in a plastic bag and at home straight in the fridge.
edi

prometheus

Donnington deer management make a transportable hoist that will handle large reds. It will lock on to a ball hitch on the back of your pickup.

TankGunner

I sometimes carry a very light pulley system made from dingy sailing parts.

I have the same set up made for me by a friend who's very into his sailing. It will lift red stags. I also have a lightweight hoist that was sold by Aldi/Lidl's for about £8. It will handle fallow and sika.

I don't use a gambrel just a single S hook and let the spare leg hang free.

Taff

climbing rope, tree and gambrel, throw rope over said branch, attach deer to one end, vehicle to other, drive forward, done lots of big fallow and reds this way, if you have no trees substitute for sky hooks.

Paul 600

Doing that gets it of the floor to gralloch but you then cant get it in the back of the car. The DDM rig from David Stretton or the equivalent means once its off the floor it goes straight into the truck.

Burnt Ash

Sadly, the Napier Apex Auto Click does not work with Skoda Yetis. The connections at both top and bottom do not fit.

Akeld

Someone was selling one on here a few weeks back, broke down into three parts and attached to tow hitch, even if its sold you can get ideas from the photos.

Sold: 8' 6 Gantry

Last edited:

Uncle Norm

Donnington deer management make a transportable hoist that will handle large reds. It will lock on to a ball hitch on the back of your pickup.

I have one of these and it will handle any large Red including the really big woodland ones. David Stretton also sells a skinning attachment for the hoist.
The hoist is in two main pieces plus two extending legs with feet. Very stable and strongly built.

I have also used the lightweight dinghy type pulleys. Last week I used the L200 hoist, rope over branch and attached to tow hitch. Pulled a large Red hind up.
They all have their place.

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing