info required about deer farming

adrian0100

Hi guys and girls im after some general info in deer farming like size of land type of land lay outs ect ect all help or pointers gladly taken

Dont know who that is teyhan im just a normal guy with a possible chance of doing somthing that could work out great for me and my family

He's one of the richest guys in the world. He has a lot of property in the Bagshot (surrey)area.
Many years ago his right hand man requested that I set up a Roe deer park.:doh: But that was exactly what he wanted. Not Fallow, Red or Sika but Roe. It took a long time to persuade them that a Roe deer park would not work. It would be unlikely too that his kids would be able to hand feed them and because he was also insistent that there should be only does, that bucks come the rut, would be throwing themselves at his 12 foot perimeter fence.

Adrian,
Whatever you do, make sure you go and talk to actual deer farmers, not just the people who have a vested interest in setting deer farms up. There is a huge difference. Once you have looked at 5 or 6 different deer farms you will have a much better idea if this kind of enterprise is for you or not.
Good luck, or maybe more appropriate, good research.

I am doing my research thats why im asking on here and other places as its a massive investment and it has to be right but thank you for you input im contacting farms to try and arange visits

Adrian, I always try and be honest on this forum.
Unless you are lucky enough to have inherited a large chunk of land it is highly unlikely that you will ever recoup the amount of money required to set up a proper deer farm.
Setting up a deer farm is totally different to just having a few deer in a paddock or two.
You will need handling facilities, a larder, the ability to dispose of your offal, an outlet for your venison, etc, etc and of course the deer as well.
Unless you are very lucky you will also have to think about winter feed for your deer. If you intend to sell bloodstock then you will be into major money as you will have to buy in the best bloodstock.
Let me put it this way, I know of someone who has nearly free grass keep. He used to run about 150ish head, making a cull of around 50/year and with the winter feeding didn't make that much out of it. If you think that processing 20+ carcasses in a day is fun or gonna be easy then think again. It is tough work and you will likely need help.

Why would you need a larder etc at a deer farm? My advice follows Cyberstags, get out and meet guys in the industry. First point of call should be BDFPA, conference coming up in early October.

Adrian,
Whatever you do, make sure you go and talk to actual deer farmers, not just the people who have a vested interest in setting deer farms up. There is a huge difference. Once you have looked at 5 or 6 different deer farms you will have a much better idea if this kind of enterprise is for you or not.

+1 :thumb:

Speak to John fletcher, he is in fife and what he does not know about red deer is irrelevant. I went to see him on a similar fact finding mission a few years back and he was very honest and gave it to me straight.

http://www.deervet.com/john_fletcher.html

unless you have a lot of cash or a farm you want to change the use of you will struggle. I was definitely in the mode of scoping a different career and am glad I did not make the change then, maybe in the future - who knows.

Adrian im 33 and been farming red deer on a reasonably large scale for the last couple of years I'm currently farming just under 200 all my deer are kept on rented land and I can make it pay! I still do other work as well but giving that up when I get up to 250. Has taken me alot of hard work but I believe if your determined you can do anything! Half the people giving advice here haven't even farmed deer so can't nock it till you have tried it! If your like me I am fascinated by deer they are amazing animals and farming them is more like a hobby than a job! Would be interested to here if you have bought any deer or how the planing is going!

Last edited:
Adrian,

Good advice

You folks don't have a velvet industry do you?
Any reasons why?

I've played with deer for 40 years & now just run reds, Persian & Hungarian fallow, Moluccan & Javan Rusa, chital, sambar & some antelope.

I think all the species above, plus several more are in the UK so it will be interesting to see what you get & decide to do with them.
If you go with just reds there are more than just English park deer. Look at Yougo's/Jelen as something a bit different. A bit more exciting too. lol
I know some Persian blood has gone to UK zoos, if you are going to run fallow & can contain them without spoiling the wild stock they can produce up to 50% on the body weight. I've had some pures go 140kg live weight, & they are more interesting than D dama. Piere David look interesting too from the venison side.

Cheers Sharkey

Back