Inner neck lubrication

Rory

I've been using Lee's own resizing lubricant, thinking of switching to a dry lube (Imperial) to avoid the excess residue build up on the decapping pin as it resizes the neck.
What is the verdict on the Imperial dry lube, would it be best to get the standard one or the one with the ceramic media? Or am I wasting my time and should just stick with the Lee lube?

Last edited:

paul o'

DR strangelove lube will get you all sorted .
As with many I used to imp wax and hornady spray the die every few to keep it slick ( none stick ) , he's lube I place 50 in a bag few sprays jingle and carry on Macduff happy happy Just need to clean away as norm before loading .

caberslash

I've been using Lee's own resizing lubricant, thinking of switching to a dry lube (Imperial) to avoid the excess residue build up on the decapping pin as it resizes the neck.
What is the verdict on the Imperial dry lube, would it be best to get the standard one or the one with the ceramic media? Or am I wasting my time and should just stick with the Lee lube?

Are you talking carbon residue?

If anything, that won't do any harm...

Bowland blades

I expand 243 brass with a straight Mandrel I then use lube but it's a tiny amount and cleaned previous to powder going in .
I don't like button type expanding it can I believe knock a neck out of concentric
I would not ever want lube there when I wascseatingbthe bullet of pouring innpowder

Rory

I expand 243 brass with a straight Mandrel I then use lube but it's a tiny amount and cleaned previous to powder going in .
I don't like button type expanding it can I believe knock a neck out of concentric
I would not ever want lube there when I wascseatingbthe bullet of pouring innpowder
I now ultrasound clean after resizing, which removes all lube, before priming and continuing, so no dramas about residue in cases when powder goes in.

Klenchblaize

I guess this won’t help the Op but I don’t drag an expander ball/spud through any of my case necks but rather use a neck bushing die for everything. I also ultrasonic clean cases after (😱) the sizing and trimming process so all lube is gone by the time a head bullet is seated.

K

Jelen

Imperial dry lube is, I believe, graphite powder. and can be bought on it's own. The ceramic media is tiny pin head head sized balls with the graphite powder already added.
You can replenish the graphite powder to the ceramic media. just dip the neck of the case into the media. I do 4 dips and crack on. You only have to wipe off the outside of the neck afterwards. I find it much quicker and cleaner, unless you knock over the little container, and then it's a load of balls to clean up!

Rory

Imperial dry lube is, I believe, graphite powder. and can be bought on it's own. The ceramic media is tiny pin head head sized balls with the graphite powder already added.
You can replenish the graphite powder to the ceramic media. just dip the neck of the case into the media. I do 4 dips and crack on. You only have to wipe off the outside of the neck afterwards. I find it much quicker and cleaner, unless you knock over the little container, and then it's a load of balls to clean up!
Thanks, will give it a bash then.

Lancaster

Or if you are a cheapskate, buy a packet of graphite powder for a couple of quid, add it to the shot out of a No 8 or 9 clay cartridge, then put it in a suitable small cylinder container with a snap top, I use an old choke storage tube.

Sharpie

Lee lube still does the job for me for FL sizing. It's water based, and can be cleaned off with just a damp rag. A very under-estimated product. Works best when allowed to dry first. But still slippery when wet.

Lee say you can dilute it 10:1 with water and alcohol to make a spray lube. Not tried that myself, but can't see why it wouldn't work.

They do not have a good word to say about Hornady One Shot spray. Which I can confirm from my own experience is cack.

Lee Precision, Inc. - Hornady One Shot Case Lube

If you put far too much on, it can build up in the dies. Can still be washed out with hot water without disassembling the die. Or a squirt of brake cleaner, as I do. TBH I don't think it matters if it builds up on the top of the expander, if anything that might be a bonus.

I just run an old bore brush through the necks, after dry tumbling and before resizing. Tried graphite powder, didn't seem to add much to the process. Possibly useful if you make your necks surgically clean inside, e.g. wet tumble or ultrasonic.

Imperial dry neck lube is just graphite powder, the same stuff you can buy for lubricating locks. For far less money. To apply it, take e.g. a 35mm film cannister, empty the lead shot from a shotgun cartridge into it. The smaller the shot the better. Add graphite powder.

This sort of stuff. £5 for 50g Which is a lot. And keeps my locks smooth.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kasp-K30050-Graphite-Powder/dp/B00BTOBHH6/ref=sr_1_3

Sharpie

BTW, the only reason that the gucci applicators use ceramic balls, is so that they can be sold in e.g. California. Lead balls actually work better.

308tikka

Imperial wax tubs are good for neck sizing. Good results can be had. You dont need to clean cases after, prior to seating bullet. You can wipe the outside of the neck if you think its necessary.

Alantoo

DR strangelove lube will get you all sorted .
As with many I used to imp wax and hornady spray the die every few to keep it slick ( none stick ) , he's lube I place 50 in a bag few sprays jingle and carry on Macduff happy happy Just need to clean away as norm before loading .
When I FLS I use the 1:12 Liquid Lanolin and Iso Propyl alcohol mix as well. The only application method difference being I put a few squirts into the bag before I put the cases in so that I don't squirt a load up into any of the cases. Then I jumble them around and sufficient lube seems to get picked up into the case mouth to keep it all sliding sweet.

Alan