Internal chiller dimensions

Jimbob39

Morning all
I have the opportunity to acquire a wine cooler. My first thought was it would suit as a chiller for the garage. The internal dimensions are 157cm tall, 54cm wide and 44cm deep. Would this be suitable for upto fallow sized carcasses do you think? I can chop to suitable size if not. I like the idea as it has a fan system and runs down to 4’c. Thank you kindly.

Height may be tight by the time you’ve fitted some form of hanging rail. Depends how high you can set a hook but by the time a fallow is hung from its hock I’d say it’s going to have its neck firmly on the bottom of that, sitting in blood and generally not keeping clean. If you’re going to quarter an animal then that won’t be an issue

Morning all
I have the opportunity to acquire a wine cooler. My first thought was it would suit as a chiller for the garage. The internal dimensions are 157cm tall, 54cm wide and 44cm deep. Would this be suitable for upto fallow sized carcasses do you think? I can chop to suitable size if not. I like the idea as it has a fan system and runs down to 4’c. Thank you kindly.
If it is cheap enough and works grab it...you can hang them of the H bone with a decent made hook and good cross rail.
A bit of different thinking is required as this sport is a bit one dimensional in many cases... :rolleyes:

See this thread - chiller long since sold but will give you an idea of dimensions. The bottom was stepped and I can't remember if the height was the bottom of the step or the top. The fallow doe in the pics was hung from the aitch bone once I got it in and sorted. You can see how much wasted space is at the top by hanging from the hocks.

Quite pleased with it. Only goes down to 5 though, will that be ok?
Ha, that popped up on Facebook, I was sorely tempted but was going to use it for wine!
I was a little concerned as when I asked the temp range I was told it only went down to 5 degrees so ruled it out for the purposes your planning.

Ha, that popped up on Facebook, I was sorely tempted but was going to use it for wine!
I was a little concerned as when I asked the temp range I was told it only went down to 5 degrees so ruled it out for the purposes your planning.
Figured it’s better than hanging in the garage at mid double figures. Won’t be in there long.

Fallow fit n my fridge and it’s about the same, I keep the salad draw in to collect the blood and serum, sometimes I have to set the s hook and rail as high as possible to fit the bucks in ….

Figured it’s better than hanging in the garage at mid double figures. Won’t be in there long.
That will be fine for a few days. It will give you a chance to plan the butchering rather than being under pressure to do it straight away or the next morning.

Worked a treat. Shot a fallow Saturday and had half pig to finish as well! Got home and sorted pig and cleaned chiller out. Skinned fallow and cut into major lumps. All sat on the shelf until yesterday and also allowed me to work on it while putting the stainless bowls back in while chopping. Done exactly what I wanted.

Back