Internal Demolition

rodp

Right gents, nothing to do with stalking as you may have guessed, and I have posted this on another forum to get as broad an answer as possible.
A mate of mine has an empty factory unit that's getting a little hard to sell due to it's internal layout.
It's app 60' L x 40' W, was once just an empty shell / warehouse type building in good condition. Someone at some time double floored it with separate rooms / offices / stairs.
As it stands now downstairs there's an open shop area with doors behind the roller shutter, a reception office and hallway with stairs leading to upstairs, then there's two other rooms and another set of stairs. The lower floor is divided roughly into quarters.
Upstairs there's two offices, two toilets, kitchen, landing / hallway and three further rooms. there's also a ceiling creating loft space above

The only blockwork is the central longitudinal dividing wall (60') on the lower floor, this also has steel joists and uprights built into it. Everything else is wood or plaster board.

Question is, how much would it cost to gut it and have it left clean and tidy as an empty shell again?

Personally I would consider converting it into a couple of `bed-sits` depending upon its location.
The roller shutters could be replaced with a window and door.

HWH.

Personally I would consider converting it into a couple of `bed-sits` depending upon its location.
The roller shutters could be replaced with a window and door.

HWH.

Can't be done, it's in a trading estate. Several viewings but everyone wants an empty building, this one's no good for production as it stands.

Get on to your local Freegle group (its a yahoo group that gives things away for free) offer the materials for free if they remove them, you get it dismantled for free then just clean up whats left

Get on to your local Freegle group (its a yahoo group that gives things away for free) offer the materials for free if they remove them, you get it dismantled for free then just clean up whats left

Good idea in theory, but I can see the claims coming in. Someone falls through an open floor ? Has a timber on the napper?
Too many folk out there now not only want everything for nothing but they want a retirement plan to go with it.

Good idea in theory, but I can see the claims coming in. Someone falls through an open floor ? Has a timber on the napper?
Too many folk out there now not only want everything for nothing but they want a retirement plan to go with it.

Kind of answered your own question if mindful of such liability. Whoever you get to do it make sure they supply you with a site and task specific set of RAMS. If nothing else it will identify who is responsible for isolating services.

K

We have just done the opposite .turned one into two and tiolets .offices etc sounds the same but in reverse if i get any time morn i will ask for you and maybe get an idea. But as allways there are shortcuts and money saving quick fixes your talking about a lot of blockwork that needs taking down and skipping for a start.

You could try house maintenace firms to rdnt it as thats what happened here and then they have there own labour and materials to do the work that way it wont cost you.

Looks like having to get some builders or whatever in to quote, but I reckon it's going to be up to 10K. At least it will be a rentable unit then and he has to do something as rates are due to be paid on it shortly, the six months empty is almost up.

Strip it out asap and let it. Common error to think a new tenant will want an old fit out (often specific to another business). My guess would be £5k to £7.5k depending specifics. Good luck.

Depending on construction and date built you may (Hopefully not) have to factor in asbestos removal. Most recent demolition contracts we've been involved with have all had hidden asbestos.

Last edited:
Where are you mate? I've priced up and managed this kind of work before,

Stratts

Quite a way from you unfortunately, near Birmingham. Wouldn't be worth the travel to be honest as he may just sell the unit and allow the demolition price in the sale.

Quite a way from you unfortunately, near Birmingham. Wouldn't be worth the travel to be honest as he may just sell the unit and allow the demolition price in the sale.

No bother mate if it were closer I would have popped over to give you a rough idea of costs as it's not really possible without seeing it or having a plan to work off,

Stratts

First thought that came to me too!:eek::eek:

Back