Introduction - Hello from North Oxfordshire

FindernMill

Hi All,
Stalking enthusiast based in North Ox. Have been stalking on and off for some years but only guided and predominantly in the highlands on the hinds in Oct/Nov and Feb. I have very little low ground experience but would like to change this. No FAC but I aim to apply for it once I have completed DSC1 in September (course run by Jelen PWS - I have read some reviews and feedback on their courses appear to be very good) Any advise on entry level rifle/calibre/make for all 6 deer species (I know this is a difficult one to advise on given the depth and breath of calibre etc) would be helpful as it is a bit of a minefield out there! Thanks.

The Singing Stalker

Welcome.
To cover everything then look at 270, 308, 3006. That sort of thing. There are other things to take into account such as what ammo your local RFD supplies at a reasonable price. People will advise about being able to use different bullet weights but in my 3006 I just shoot 150 grains. That covers me for everything uk. In hindsight I would possibly have bought a 308. No big reason but it is a shorter cartridge and it is so difficult bulling the bolt back the extra few millimetres :lol:

Welcome to another from North Oxfordshire! Regarding calibre for all UK species this article is interesting What is the best Calibre for Deer Stalking & Management in the UK | Blog

Not everyone will agree with the conclusions but it's interesting food for thought and you can make your own mind up based on what you will mainly be using it for as ultimately if you are going for one rifle there are going to be compromises somewhere along the line.
Ultimately you need a large calibre though as you can shoot small and large species with a .308 etc but you wouldn't want to be taking down big reds with a 243 for example.
FWIW I use a 308 for everything from muntjac and roe to fallow (haven't had the opportunity to get out on red deer yet) and meat damage is acceptable even in the smaller deer-my personal belief is that a heavier slower round leads to less meat damage than faster lighter rounds but others may disagree.

Good luck with your DSC, I did mine with Jelen and can also thoroughly recommend them.

FindernMill

Welcome to another from North Oxfordshire! Regarding calibre for all UK species this article is interesting What is the best Calibre for Deer Stalking & Management in the UK | Blog

Not everyone will agree with the conclusions but it's interesting food for thought and you can make your own mind up based on what you will mainly be using it for as ultimately if you are going for one rifle there are going to be compromises somewhere along the line.
Ultimately you need a large calibre though as you can shoot small and large species with a .308 etc but you wouldn't want to be taking down big reds with a 243 for example.
FWIW I use a 308 for everything from muntjac and roe to fallow (haven't had the opportunity to get out on red deer yet) and meat damage is acceptable even in the smaller deer-my personal belief is that a heavier slower round leads to less meat damage than faster lighter rounds but others may disagree.

Good luck with your DSC, I did mine with Jelen and can also thoroughly recommend them.
Hi Chevotarevich - many thanks for your message and advise and i'm pleased to hear you'd recommend Jelen!

Hi All,
Stalking enthusiast based in North Ox. Have been stalking on and off for some years but only guided and predominantly in the highlands on the hinds in Oct/Nov and Feb. I have very little low ground experience but would like to change this. No FAC but I aim to apply for it once I have completed DSC1 in September (course run by Jelen PWS - I have read some reviews and feedback on their courses appear to be very good) Any advise on entry level rifle/calibre/make for all 6 deer species (I know this is a difficult one to advise on given the depth and breath of calibre etc) would be helpful as it is a bit of a minefield out there! Thanks.
Hi and welcome
I started out with a .243 great rifle taking roe muntjac and fallow.i now have the addition of 30 06 loading my own ammo from 125gn upto 220gn.in hindsight I wish I'd have bought this first
Regards Gary