Is .20TAC worth it?

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...

timbeech

I'm planning ahead for a small calibre varmint / fox gun.

I currently have a slot for a .223REM and sound mod on my FAC. But love the sound of a .20TAC instead. Just a few things are making me doubt this choice.

• Cost of a semi-custom rifle as no factory rifles in this calibre vs an off the shelf remmy 700 (yes I know the quality of the rifle will be completely different)
  • Availability of factory brass in .20TAC, I see people are having problems getting it
  • Cost of resizing die if the above cannot be found, and it's availability
  • For 100 - 200 yrd shooting at Foxes and rabbits, is there really that much noticeable difference in the ballistic

I know one option could be to get a Remmy 700 SPS Tactical as planned and later have it rebarrelled for 20TAC, but again is it worth this or just get a semi-custom made from day one.

Thanks,

Tim

Robb

Good thread Tim as im thinking along the same lines and pondering the same questions, I shall sit back and keep a careful eye on the reply's, I hope their positive..!

bobjs

I'm planning ahead for a small calibre varmint / fox gun.

I currently have a slot for a .223REM and sound mod on my FAC. But love the sound of a .20TAC instead. Just a few things are making me doubt this choice.

• Cost of a semi-custom rifle as no factory rifles in this calibre vs an off the shelf remmy 700 (yes I know the quality of the rifle will be completely different)
  • Availability of factory brass in .20TAC, I see people are having problems getting it
  • Cost of resizing die if the above cannot be found, and it's availability
  • For 100 - 200 yrd shooting at Foxes and rabbits, is there really that much noticeable difference in the ballistic

I know one option could be to get a Remmy 700 SPS Tactical as planned and later have it rebarrelled for 20TAC, but again is it worth this or just get a semi-custom made from day one.

Thanks,

Tim

I had 5 people interested in mine when i had it up for sale but all went off on some other calibre,

there is no shortage of brass what so ever, scare mungers the lot of them so they can charge the earth for the brass.

I have a complete set of dies, as follows. full size, neck, and seating, forming dies used to take 223 brass down to 20 tac and a body die all in used but well looked after, i think the lot set me back the best part of £250.+

i don't compare the 20 to a 223 or a 222, i just know that its the best small caliber i have used on fox, no loud bangs and the running costs are cracking. accuracy beyond the norm and some, i have had 2 and this ones just as good as the first in the fact that the action is a sako, normal stock and a 20" barrel,

i love the calibre and when your taking 300 yard crows and 300 yard bunnies with ease due to its low recoil (not much at all), my best fox to date was a 367 yards confirmed buy a member of this forum, and in the last few weeks i have taken my longest shot on a pig eon at 417 yards.

Sadly im no lover of remington toys are us rifles, so a rem 700 in my eyes would be a non starter,

this is mine below.

built by steve K and it shoots better than me and also like you want too.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...=Vnp0JubYUufMK89j0IAwbQ&bvm=bv.50500085,d.d2k

read all about it here,

you will only get praise from me on tthe 20 tac......................

regards

bob.

View attachment 31325

bobjs

ps:

my current load is

dakota brass

cci primer

23.5 gr of rl10x

40gr vmax.

result :) the best cal i have in the cabinet, ;) i have a 243 but its unemployed now,

my brass is on its 15th reload as well and when i have issues ill head for the next 50 new cases i have somewhere in the loading room,

bob.

bobjs

and on the way home a small deer or two....
Hi Ed no mention of deer just fox. ;0

bob.

My mate shoots crows out to 500yds with his 223 , enough said,
I bet thats not at night under a lamp. plus the 223 is old hat we need new things in our lives now and again ;), mind you the pig eon was in daylight as at night it would have been roosting.

bob.

tim,

im just a very happy user of a 2o tac, i must admit i have had not had(touch wood) any issues with any of the 2 rifles i had, both shot very well and once the main bills were paid the running cost were very good,

I am not a fan of the 223 and sold mine within weeks of having it, I have a slot for a 222, but i have the 20 tac and its fine, i have had 3 mates move to the 20 tac and they are all happy, so its horses for courses as they say, one mans love is another mans hate,

best of luck on the choice you make , but remember this,

someones willy will always be better,bigger than yours.

bob.

Claret_Dabbler

ps:

my current load is

dakota brass

cci primer

23.5 gr of rl10x

40gr vmax.

result :) the best cal i have in the cabinet, ;) i have a 243 but its unemployed now,

my brass is on its 15th reload as well and when i have issues ill head for the next 50 new cases i have somewhere in the loading room,

bob.

Bob, funny, that is exactly the load I am playing with in the 204 I bought here of Sir-Slots-alot. Very accurate. Much flatter than my 22/250. It's not the holy grail, but it is a great round. Mine is a LW barrel on a Sako S491 action.

I have had a couple of 300 yard plus kills on crows and a few foxes. I am hoping it will see some more action as the harvest gets going here.

bobjs

Bob, funny, that is exactly the load I am playing with in the 204 I bought here of Sir-Slots-alot. Very accurate. Much flatter than my 22/250. It's not the holy grail, but it is a great round. Mine is a LW barrel on a Sako S491 action.

I have had a couple of 300 yard plus kills on crows and a few foxes. I am hoping it will see some more action as the harvest gets going here.

nice one Brian.

as said its not the holly grail (but others think their rifles are ?) i am more than happy with my rifle and as its going to be my one and only cf rifle it has to do what i want it to. or like all my things i have sold on, if its not right for me then it goes,

and the 20 tac is here for some time yet.

regards and nice to see your on the 20 cal step.

bob.

Last edited:

plonker

Evening all,having owned a 223,17 rem and 204r I can give you one conclusion,they all kill foxes with ease from 0-200 meters easily:D of you fancy having a try then get the 20 tac otherwise go with the 223.BUy ammo straight off the shelf,try finding 39 gr blitzkings for the 20 tac at the moment they are like hens teeth.having caught the 20 cal bug and shot it a lot I came to realise that there were no benefit for my shooting between the 223 and the 20 cal for foxing at between 0-200 meters.
all the best
​dave

Claret_Dabbler

The comments above are correct, there is no real advantage in a 20 cal if you limit yourself to 200 yards. Any 222, 223 etc will do. However, if you want to stretch your legs a bit, the 20 is great.

My next indulgence will be an 8" twist 22/250....

bobjs

The comments above are correct, there is no real advantage in a 20 cal if you limit yourself to 200 yards. Any 222, 223 etc will do. However, if you want to stretch your legs a bit, the 20 is great.

My next indulgence will be an 8" twist 22/250....

if i ever have the time money and my daughters health back id go for a 24" 1/8 twist 20 br just to see if i can reach out to 1 with it :)

bob.

Nomis

For what you want the rifle for all the calibre's mentioned will do the job, but if you fancy .20 cal but still want a factory rifle for cost and also the ease of factory ammo then try the .204

swarovski

If you know your elevations and windage why not, my mate is an experienced longrange shooter and wouldnt bother if he had to dial in for 4 feet of wind, long shots only worth taking at live quarry in good conditions, shooting at paper dont matter , his longest crow was 502yds with 223 and 55gr nos bal tip

soother223

my question is.. is there that much difference between the 20 tac & the 204r? I know if i were in the market for a custom rifle i would be looking hard at the 20tac but for an of the shelf job i just don't see 204 that far behind..
gotta fezz up.. i'm a big fan of 223! really versatile 40-75grainers or even heavier! 50-55grainers are just the ticket for freddy!

Jager SA

Shot with a .223 for as long as I can remember, simply brilliant, sniping bunnies and all corvids with ease...I don't see much gain in the 20tac, however if you want a supreme varmint round with the bullet weights discussed (-40g) there's only one I'd go with for ease of everything....243 win! 55-70g is lazer beam material, just devastating, good all rounder.

fizzbangwhallop

Or a .20Practical - not a lot in it performance-wise against a 20Tac and just straightforward necking down of a standard .223 case. Just means a .223 bushing die with a .20 or .17 decapping rod, probably 3 bushings - unless you've a .223 neck die used without the button to get the necks started, followed by a .233 and then a .228 or .229 depending on your brass - some recommend a .225 but that was a step too far for mine. And a .223 seating die.

Mind you, I did have a faff getting the bits with the shortage of reloading stuff, so if you've got access to a set of Tac20 dies that might be the easier option

This is mine.. built on a Sako A1 with a 22" Pacnor Super Match 1:11 by Neil Mckillop with a OneLessCharlie mod on the front.

Lovely!

atb
Fizz
:cool:

Last edited:

Claret_Dabbler

my question is.. is there that much difference between the 20 tac & the 204r? I know if i were in the market for a custom rifle i would be looking hard at the 20tac but for an of the shelf job i just don't see 204 that far behind..
gotta fezz up.. i'm a big fan of 223! really versatile 40-75grainers or even heavier! 50-55grainers are just the ticket for freddy!

None that could be measured.

PSE Composites Limited