Is Canada any cheaper?

joed

I know are American friends seem to get most shooting equipment cheaper, I was wondering if this is the same in Canadia. I am going in July and was thinking of maybe trying to pick up so new bino's and maybe an xsearcher.

smullery

I know are American friends seem to get most shooting equipment cheaper, I was wondering if this is the same in Canadia. I am going in July and was thinking of maybe trying to pick up so new bino's and maybe an xsearcher.
Off to Vancouver on Saturday. USD/CAD is bad now and most stuff you want will be of US origin. No bargains or discounts being offered.

Stan

goathunter1

Aye, and Vancouver (or Hongcouver as the locals are calling it) is an expensive town. Very nice though. Dine at Joe Forties. I never actually saw a gun shop but I didn't look hard.
Have fun.

Taff

Things are generally cheaper as they are the same price in dollars as in pounds, the pound is weaker against most currencies at the moment but July is a long way off, shop around for your money, avoid the banks, and when you find a rate, ask who you want to use to match it, I use Eurochange , Thomson travel matched them last year when I asked.

Yorric

My family who live in the Vancouver area sometimes drive down over the border to buy certain things because they are significantly cheaper there in the USA. - They have to remove packaging / labels etc to avoid duty/taxes though!

Ian

NorthDorset

Hia

The Canadian dollar may be down against the US dollar but the Pound is riding high against the Canadian Dollar. It should work out OK.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421924159.051156.jpg

I'm off to Ontario for Black Bear in September.

Canucks moan about the cost of US imported products but they are not on the same scale as the UK. Take a look for Outfitters stores or Basspro in Canada.

You should make a saving. I'm taking a spare suitcase..

Last edited:

alberta boy

We pay , on average , about 20% more on everything in Canada . It's still a lot cheaper than the UK though , it also depends on what your looking for . As the above posters have pointed out , Van is an expensive city . As the old joke says , BC stands for bring cash lol . BC has a sales tax too , in Alberta we don't , but we have a lot more gunshops .

AB

Pine Marten

We pay , on average , about 20% more on everything in Canada . It's still a lot cheaper than the UK though , it also depends on what your looking for . As the above posters have pointed out , Van is an expensive city . As the old joke says , BC stands for bring cash lol . BC has a sales tax too , in Alberta we don't , but we have a lot more gunshops .

AB
In Canada they also have this amusing running joke of not including VAT on price tags, so every time you pay for something you have the pleasure of discovering that it's more expensive than you thought. Good gag.

private fraser

I've had wine and shotgun shells (don't ask) in the same basket in a N.C. store and at the checkout had to show id...for the wine.
Showed my uk driving licence...that confused 'em
didn't have to show proof of age though.
:old:

SaOsborne

I go to Alberta every three years to hunt, Awesome (but that is another story). I buy some of my kit there, some things are way cheaper, Bullet heads, ammo (restricted to amount), some optics eg Bushnell Leopold and range finders, though Zeisse are more expensive and not quite the same spec. I bought a few things last time, reloading dies and parts are cheaper, accessories like bipods and shooting tripods were cheaper, but slings and a 5 shot Tikka mag weren't. Have a good think before you go, get some prices in your head, then check out the stores. I use Cabella's, Wholesale sports mainly as they are in Edmonton. but as usual, look around and be prepared. Now the pound is strong Vs the CD you should fair well. Be careful if you buy chems e.g blueing bedding kits etc as I had some confiscated as not allowed on the plane the time before. Oh and rifles are way cheaper, but not tried that one yet!

joed

I'm going to Toronto, any advice for good shops to go to? I was told that there was a big department/mall on the outside of the city which has a big hunting store attached, sorry if it's vague, I wasn't given much in

alberta boy

I go to Alberta every three years to hunt, Awesome (but that is another story). I buy some of my kit there, some things are way cheaper, Bullet heads, ammo (restricted to amount), some optics eg Bushnell Leopold and range finders, though Zeisse are more expensive and not quite the same spec. I bought a few things last time, reloading dies and parts are cheaper, accessories like bipods and shooting tripods were cheaper, but slings and a 5 shot Tikka mag weren't. Have a good think before you go, get some prices in your head, then check out the stores. I use Cabella's, Wholesale sports mainly as they are in Edmonton. but as usual, look around and be prepared. Now the pound is strong Vs the CD you should fair well. Be careful if you buy chems e.g blueing bedding kits etc as I had some confiscated as not allowed on the plane the time before. Oh and rifles are way cheaper, but not tried that one yet!
Next time you're here check out Canadian Tire in Leduc , they are about 10% cheaper than anyone else in Edmonton . If you time it right , they have red tag sales on everything , 20 % off . When you're back this way drop me a line , there's some great little gunshops in the small towns around Edmonton that always have great deals on various things .

AB

Pine Marten

I'm going to Toronto, any advice for good shops to go to? I was told that there was a big department/mall on the outside of the city which has a big hunting store attached, sorry if it's vague, I wasn't given much in
You're thinking of the Bass Pro shop in Vaughan, just outside Toronto: bass pro toronto ontario - Google Maps

It is indeed pretty massive. They don't have a huge variety of firearms, but there's more clothing, accessories and ammunition than you can wave a big stick at!