Is common for this bone to break during trophy preparation from a professional?

randello88

I have had 2 out of 2 fallow deer trophies with this "issue". The palatine process is broken. I received them like this from the taxidermist. He even works for some national natural history museums here in Italy and he won some international competitions so i assume he is a good professional. Is it common to have that bone break off? Does this reduce the value of a trophy?

Ciao a tutti ;)

Attachments

• 20240211_013517.jpg
    20240211_013517.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 20240211_013558.jpg
    20240211_013558.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 180
Its pretty common I feel like some people even purposely breaking them as they enjoy the look.

An easy way to avoid said issue is obviously the taxidermist does a lot of heads fast they might be sitting in the boil too long or perhaps he's a bit harsh handed, get a pot of water and dump some freshly boiled water into it and set the nose in and pull them off yourself.

Just leave them in the warm water there's really not all that much gristle on them it scrapes off very easy and can be whitened with a tiny bottle of hair bleach (peroxide) then send the rest of the head in to be done by the taxidermist and keep the nose bones at your house until you go to collect it.

Its pretty common I feel like some people even purposely breaking them as they enjoy the look.

An easy way to avoid said issue is obviously the taxidermist does a lot of heads fast they might be sitting in the boil too long or perhaps he's a bit harsh handed, get a pot of water and dump some freshly boiled water into it and set the nose in and pull them off yourself.

Just leave them in the warm water there's really not all that much gristle on them it scrapes off very easy and can be whitened with a tiny bottle of hair bleach (peroxide) then send the rest of the head in to be done by the taxidermist and keep the nose bones at your house until you go to collect it.
Thanks for the answer! I think i will just tell him to pay attention to this! So it's something that can be avoided 100% of the times or sometime that part breaks off in the process of preparation unexpectedly, without the possibility to avoid it?

I clean a lot of heads for local stalkers and in my view, it's a big failure to break the nose bones. There are areas of the skull that need great care when cleaning, and this is one of them.

Thanks for the answer! I think i will just tell him to pay attention to this! So it's something that can be avoided 100% of the times or sometime that part breaks off in the process of preparation unexpectedly, without the possibility to avoid it?
Yes, pretty much down to the taxidermist he's either overboiling or being a bit too harsh in my opinion there pretty sturdy bones (a deer uses it to eat its entire life!) so all things considered its pretty tough to break.

i’d say on smaller species (roe/muntjac) it would be more common as the bones will be considerably smaller. For fallow i don't think it should be a regular occurrence, certainly not from a professional, have done a few fallow myself as and have managed to keep them intact and i’m a boil and jetwash guy.

I’ve repaired a roe head of mine before, some matching bone shards, bit of glue, and the dremmel. Fairly easy job and it looks fine to my eye. I’m not hugely experienced, it I don’t think I’d expect that from a professional job.

After two taxidermists with very good reviews damaging my trophies, i don't trust them anymore.. is it difficult to get a very basic skull skinned and withened doing it at home with no experience or i could make a mess? 😂

I just broke the remaining pqlqtine process of the bigger one so now it's more symmetrical and looks better to me. That said, i looked into the process on a thread here and it looks too much time consuming for now. I will change taxidermist another time and i will ask to the new one to be careful not to break the nasal bone.. it sounds crazy that i have to tell that to a professional but i will do it..

Honestly breaking this one was not that easy so I can't imagine how someone could do it for mistake

Maybe to "fix" these two i can make them get all the nasal bone removed as i have already seen somewhere? I don't care about trophy's too much but it's a shame to me because i like having the entire skull well preserved

Attachments

• 20240212_000412.jpg
    20240212_000412.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 20
Those bones are very fragile and often drop away during the boiling or washing phase, provided that you can find them it’s no bother to glue them, they sort of slot together.

Back