Is Every Rifle On Here Moderated?

Toxster

Looking to get an old Parker Hale, but am reluctant to circumcise it for a moderator. Do people on here have all their stalking rifles moderated?

mereside

mate i did my first rifle an old parker hale and ruined it ,I have not done another one, atb wayne

MauserM03

30.06 is unmoderated and that won't change. The 6.5x55 is screw-cut but only recently got a moderator for it - not used much yet.

baguio

When most of us on here learnt to shoot we didn't worry about such things as ear defenders or moderators. Many years later we have learnt the error of our ways, much to our cost. How many of us would allow our own children to be as stupid as we were? Your health is for life so look after it every way you can. Additionally there are few things more annoying when on the ranges than having a fellow shooter in the next lane blowing my ear drums apart with a big un-moderated rifle. If you shoot alone then it's purely you own choice. If you shoot with others then you have an obligation to consider your fellow shooters. Consideration of others is what us shooters do best after all. The ones who don't are quickly shown the door! I know it will ruin the balance of your rifle but better that than your ear drums!

PS. I should add that I now where plugs with ear defenders over the top when on the ranges just in case Mr inconsiderate parks his un-moderated 308 in the lane next to me as plugs alone don't cut it despite being perfectly fine when firing my own rifle and around other moderated rifles!

Last edited:

Toxster

Ok, I think I'm getting the impression that this old rifle unmoderated idea isn't going to work....

MauserM03

When I go to Bisley I would say 90% plus of the rifles there are unmoderated. Granted they are target shooters in the main, not stalkers, but not sure I buy the "being rude to one's neighbour on the range" argument. As Pine Marten points out, that is why everybody cuts about with ear defence.

mereside

lots of people still stalk unmodded, most people still stalk alone anyway. I have never been shown the door to anywhere i shoot and i would also say that i have seen alot more dangerouse practice's with a mod on than that of an unmodded rifle.
I am sure greg wont mind it being shown in this thread also.
alot of places i go hunting mods are illeagal anyway. I would say try it see if you like the rifle and use plugs if not use a mod its your choice, atb wayne

Cernunnos

I've shot moderated and unmoderated. I prefer moderated. Benefits in reduced noise, supposed increase in accuracy and reduction in recoil. Plus you can get a slightly closer cheek weld without muffs. It's all subjective I suppose. Some people don't like the aesthetics of mods either in the same way people are divided over synthetic or wooden stocks.

Pine Marten, how is your boy doing? Hope all is well. Just over three weeks until my expensive bundle of joy arrives.

baguio

I'm not saying that anyone would be shown the door for using a un-moderated rifle. I was more referring to taking shots without considering backstops, standing at your peg and killing birds over your neighbours head or shooting low/dangerous birds. All things that we consider automatically and those that don't are risking an accident or getting told in no uncertain terms!
I only shoot on ranges twice a year to comply with my syndicate rules and 90% of us are moderated.
If I was going to use an un-moderated rifle I would have to invest in electronic ear plugs as enjoying the sounds of the countryside is part of why I go stalking. Good electronic ear plugs cost more than a moderator though!

Last edited:

mereside

I dont use muffs in the field only on a range, i use small plugs , you can get some really good ones that are moulded to your ear, a few lads on pw were selling the kits a while back and its up to you how much you spend modern plugs now let you here whats going on but take the loud harshness out when shooting,here are some to look through
AudioFit | ProtectHear
Electronic Ear Plugs - Ear Plugs
Hocks Shooting Filter Ear Plugs | Filtered Noise Plugs - PERFECTfit
http://www.earplugstore.com/hunting-and-shooting-ear-plugs.html

on ranges i thaught that hearing protection was compulsary regardless of mod no mod

Last edited:

I. Farticus

I don't wear ear protection in the field as I want to hear as much as I can when stalking. You can always stick plugs in before taking the shot, but 1 or mod'ed shots every couple of weeks isn't an issue.

I wear Peltor cans at the range 'cos
1. It's the rules
2. Some folks at BSRC like use un-mod'ed cannons!!!